I am back from 5 nights in the hospital

fortworthgal
on 8/12/08 10:41 pm - Fort Worth , TX
I had surgery on the 1st (revsion from lap band to RNY) . Spent one night in the hospital and was released. By my post op visit on the 7th I was feeling horrible. I was constipated, dehydrated, swollen abdomen. The doctor admitted me to the hospital to rehydrate me and get my bowels moving. Nobody expected it to take 5 nights of constant IV fluid to rehydrate m  and 2 fleet enemas and 6 doses of Lactalose(sp?) to get my bowels moving. By the 10th my body was just horribly swollen. Then I got up to use the bathroom and drainage started gushing from one of my inscisions. No infection, just drainage. I got home today and am still swollen and draining. No weight loss but I guess its from all the  fluid because I am sure not drinking many calories! This is rough!

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

ginau
on 8/12/08 11:09 pm - mesa, AZ

Oh MY !!!

I am so sorry you had a bad time, I know every day is going to get better and better cuz it cant get worse !

Yes them i.v fluids are a buzz kill - give yourself a week and you will have pee'd them all out! & be on loosing track.

Drainage is good !! if it doesnt drain - it backs up and you risk infection... let it drain .  

NeedhamGal
on 8/13/08 1:46 am - MA
sorry you had a rough time of it.    My sister in law is a nurse and says every once in a while..the bowels go to sleep and need a little more to wake them up.  I am sure this must have been uncomfortable for you.
I hope you are on the mend and I hope you get stronger each day.  I'll keep you in my prayers.

Joan
Most Active