QUESTION? REVISION TO BAND TO RNY ?? NEED YOUR THOUGHTS

CHUNKYMUNKY_08
on 8/12/08 4:31 am

Okay, let me begin by saying I am NOT trying to start a war of words or of WLS or **** like that...and if you want to stir the pot....go jump off a cliff I don't have time for this!

Okay, I am a straight shooter and I am going to tell you what is on my mind...whether I be right or wrong...I don't know I just speak the truth of how I feel.

So, I have some questions and I am not sure if you can answer them but I am curious for your take on it based off of a conversation I had w/my mother and also w/my fellow lap bander ...we got banded the same day.

Anywho....after getting banded....how soon can you revise if you choose to do so??

When we were going to go get banded....there were a few ladies there that were getting fills but we did not have a chance to ask them this.  They first had the RNY we were told by the nurse but that they later came back after 3-4 years because of regain and had the band placed around what was left of their stomach.

Okay....so the question is....if somebody started off as a band....and then goes to an RNY...do they leave the band in there??  Perhaps for later incase of weight gain they can add fills to the band?? I know this is a stupid question I am sure to ask...but isn't the fobi kind of like adding the band to an RNY??  Perhaps I am not understanding the fobi correctly on that matter...I don't know.

I am just curious on the ppl that had the RNY and weight gain later on that had revisions and also the lap banders that had it done and then went and revised to RNY or other.  I know there is the DS but no where in my area do they offer that...it's either RNY or Band....sucks but true.

Have I contemplated either?? I mean beings I am only almost 3 months out....oh sure...I won't lie and be a hypocrite.  I have openly said I have a love/hate relationship w/my band and I have good days and I have bad days.

However, after having an episode of getting stuck, sliming, pb'ing and the whole bit.....my mother and friend that I got banded with started talking about the "options" or alternatives of what can be or not me.

I know my mother has been a skeptic of sorts...and is glad that I have lost some inches.  However, she just had a co-worker have her band removed after a year because she hated it and was having complications and horrible, horrible acid reflux.  So, my mom saw me having an "episode" of sorts and is wondering alongside me what are my options and what can happen.

So, once again it was brought up just a few minutes ago and I am really, seriously curious on what are some options. So, hit me up and tell me what you got.

*~Da Chunkster~*
"Sarcasm is just another free service I offer"~ Brian the Dog
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!"
"I'm a cute & TAN all year round...SO don't hate & be jealous."

PekinSal
on 8/12/08 8:50 am - UK
Firstly answer to 'how soon can you revise' would honestly be 'when you feel you have no choice'. In my case I did two years of fills, unfills, fills and messing about before I lost hope really. You don't say how much of this you've had so far, and talking to your surgeon might be useful. PBs are a part of bandster life, and are supposed to teach you better eating habits (can't say it worked for me!)

For the band over RNY bit I think we need a RNYer to do us a diagram...I think it is different to the band on its own, in that they have to put it over your pouch as opposed to your stomach as a whole so that it will work. I imagine this makes the placement of it slightly different, so you would probably have to have your band removed, revision op, then hope you don't need the band back as a third revision!

If you can't get the DS have you looked into the sleeve instead - its part of the DS and I'm finding it a lot easier to live with than the band - I've got 1oz capacity, which is small, but it will take more in the way of variety, likes protein and cold drinks at all times of the day, and I've not PBd for a couple of months now.

Sucks that you don't like the band, but only you can decide if/when you've had enough - unless you want the insurance to pay for it of course, which might be harder to get approved.

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 8/14/08 6:52 am - Brampton, Canada
Glad you are enjoying your DS but I'm a revision from VBG to Lap Band and in over 28 months have only vomited five times total I believe.  To me pb is vomiting - nothing productive about it.
DLJones
on 8/13/08 12:06 pm - Lockhart, TX
i had the band and converted to the rny after 2 years of the band doing nothing for me.  my band was full (i had the large one), had no leaks and no more room for anymore fills.  my surgeon told me that if the band is not working or effective and at a point where i was, it needs to come out.  i chose to convert to the rny.  my band was removed during the surgery.  im sorry i didnt have the rny in the first place.    im not trying to be a band basher as i have seen people that have had great success w/ their bands.  my surgeon told me that the band has a 20% failure rate...so thats 1 out of 5!!  i cant remember the stats when i got the band.  but i am 1 of the 5.  it just was not for me.

Highest Wt 12-2005           Weight 6-2008               Current Weight               Goal
  (Day of Lap-Band)           (Morning of RNY)                 2/10/2009                   185
           366                                       345                                   249  

CHUNKYMUNKY_08
on 8/14/08 6:45 am
it's not about bashing...it's about being truthful and not spreading lollipops and gumdrops to everyone.  I know that EVERY form of WLS has it's pros and cons...but it is what it is.  To say that there are not negative side effects or issues w/the band and hiding behind..."it's less invasive" is crap.  I mean....considering I feel my whole guts churning right now and I have an EXTREME level of tolerance to pain...this pain is excruitiating!!  Uggh.  So, it is what it is...I wanted honesty...not sunshine and rainbows blown up my ass like bubbles...so thanks for your thoughts!!!

*~Da Chunkster~*

Rhiannon
on 8/14/08 1:47 am, edited 8/14/08 1:49 am
Well first its going to be hard getting your insurance to pay for a revision after just three months, I've had my band for nearly seven years, my doctor told me point blank that insurance would not pay for another surgery unless the band was non-functional, which mine is.  I had to undergo a number of tests and x-rays to provide proof for the insurance company, so that may be a real stumbling block for you, as yours is brand new.  I'm with Pekin Sal, I'd look into the DS or VSG, after the research I've done I wouldn't have an RNY if they did it for free.  As for them placing a band over the RNY it seems to be a solution for enlarged pouches/dilated stomas, seems to be working for some folks,  which is a terrific thing.  But seriously, do you really want to have surgery again to an RNY, and then maybe in the future have it again to put a band over your pouch when your stoma dilates and your surgery fails?   Note I said your surgery fails, not you.  Think twice, cut once.

I feel your pain, I hate my band too,  but it has only been three months for you, try working with what you have, you may end up being one of the Lapband success stories, its not easy but what have you got to lose at this point?  Good Luck.
CHUNKYMUNKY_08
on 8/14/08 6:42 am
I am a self-pay so the insurance is void when it comes to this.  As for the RNY...I would do the sleeve....but they don't offer it here and I would have to travel once again to have it done. Which I may do.  I again am having severe complications today.  I go for an unfil tomorrow and the nurse at the doctor's office said that they just can't understand why my stomach is so sensitive.....so off to take some tests tomorrow.  Good times.  I only have 2.7cc's in my 10cc band....just a mere .3cc is enough to make a difference for me...so I think and hope that to drop the pounds...I hope I can be one of the few that doesn't have to go to 9cc's just to get restriction or what not.  I have it...and I have it hard right now.  But if all else fails...I would definately do the sleeve or DS...it's just getting the $$ to have the alternative.  Thanks for writing!!

*~Da Chunkster~*

shel
on 8/14/08 12:29 pm - Howell, NJ
I was banded for 2 years then recently had revision to RNY.  Lost well, but had band complications after 14 months, stuck it out for another 12 months but followed doc's advise and revised to RNY.  If you are sensitive to fills, as I was, follow a strict "room temp liquid only" diet for 6 days after a fill.  Yes, I said 6 days.  Be sure to get in liquid protein and lots of room temp water/fluid.  That was the only way I could get past a fill without having to be unfilled 4 or 5 days later, then the fill kicked in with severe nighttime regurge.  I only had 2.75 in a 10cc band and was extremely tight all the time.  BTW I asked about keeping my band and having the RNY done with it in place, but was told that was not possible because the portion of stomach they needed to used was under or around my band.  Good luck to you. 
CHUNKYMUNKY_08
on 8/15/08 12:26 am
Shel, thanks for writing back.  I don't feel as bloated or swollen today. Yesterday I did nothing but liquids...and I'm feeling a little better today but I am afraid to even try to eat mushies because I can not handle the burning in my throat, stomach and the intense bloating. I keep trying to tell myself that maybe I am one of the few that won't need a lot of cc's in their band...I just was told my friend only had 3.3cc's in her 10cc...so who knows...she said it took her forever to even get to the 3.3cc's...because she had an extrememly sensitive stomach.

I also am trying to think that maybe I just at to fast or to quick...I dunno.  I don't want to give up on my band and I am truly committed.  I think ppl that are self-pay tend to have that "extra" motivation factor because of the cost coming out of our own pocket.  So, I am trying to be positive that my tool I have been given and I chose is a little fickle and we'll have to learn to get along.

Depending on how I feel now today is if I go for an unfill or not.  I already had an appt. scheduled for this coming monday but the Doc said that if I needed to come in today to unfill he fit me in because he didn't want me miserable all weekend long.  So, at least I know he's willing to work w/me on that end.

So, I'm going to go have breakfast and see how things go down right now.  But yeah....I can tell you that if after a year if that...if things do not improve and this level of pain is going to be what goes w/having this band....then I am going to revise if possible. 

On a positive note...because my husband has been adhering to what I eat and trying to eat like me....he's down 20lbs so we are working on this together...so that is awesome.

Thanks for answering my question about the band being left in if there is a revision....I didn't think it was possible.  Good to know!!  Well, it was a good idea...but guess not!!

*~Da Chunkster~*

Most Active