Open VS Laproscopic

jinks
on 8/9/08 4:04 pm
In 2003 I had the lap band and the port failed.  It looks like I will be having the RNY in a couple of months and the doctor has said there is a big possibility that it will have to be open instead of laproscopily.  Has anyone had it open and can you tell me what to expect?  Thanks.
ginau
on 8/9/08 9:58 pm - mesa, AZ

Hi Jinx

Love the avatar!!!  expect great results , laproscopic  or open procedure .. if its open , expect a couple weeks of recovery time to build up energy,  you will also have some food issue's - liquid and super soft foods.    get someone to stay with you or stay with them first week.  no bending or lifting more than 8 lbs . I wont lie - its a bit of pain - but well worth it !  But biggest thing is to keep a good attitude about it all.  Your going to have a couple bad days  but remember  everyday gets a little  better!!

Sherry C.
on 8/9/08 11:43 pm - Plainview, TX
Thank God My Dr only does open less than 1% of the time. I would not have had another Open procedure. I had open gallbladder and Open stapling In the 80's and was so glad my Doc said Lap only to cause less scar tissue.
Keep in touch,
Sherry
                                   Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal              
        John   341/331/163/185            Sherry   345/338/201/165
        John 22 lbs below goal                   Sherry 47 lbs  till goal
 JOHN                                                               Sherry 122 inches lost

ginau
on 8/10/08 1:34 am - mesa, AZ

Now see to me that is scary .. by having an open procedure - My Dr was able to clean up adhesions, scar tissue, a small bowel obstruction not seen on  prev tests & 2  hernia's  1 of my hernia's  was caused by my previous  laproscopic RNY ?? 

He was also able to verify what was previously bypassed and what wasn't !!!   

There  are pro's and cons to any procedure !!!  

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/08 10:54 am - Brampton, Canada
I had scar adhesions removed lap by my band surgeon nine months after my lap band surgery.  He had no trouble removing them but remember anytime you have surgery (even to remove scar adhesions) new scar tissue can develop again.   Most doctors will try to do your procedure lap but if your previous wls deems it necessary they will do it open.  The most important thing is to do it the safest way possible.
Sarah76010
on 8/9/08 11:57 pm - Mansfield, TX

"You can make a life, or you can make excuses, but you can't do both."

Considering weight loss surgery? Check out the DS first!!
www.dsfacts.com

ginau
on 8/10/08 1:36 am - mesa, AZ

So totaly agree with you !! Pain pump is the bomb !!!  I had one with my Hysterectomy - LOVED IT !!   cold bag of Pea's on incission helped too !!!

Kerry J.
on 8/12/08 12:18 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I had an open gastric bypass / stomach stapling back in 1980 and the best way I can describe it was that when I woke up I thought I had been run over by a concrete truck. I managed to go back to work in two weeks, but that first week was pretty tough.

Kerry
ginau
on 8/12/08 11:04 pm - mesa, AZ

FUNNY

I always ask if they got the trucks plate # and if they have ins ?? But everyday gets better 

jinks
on 8/19/08 6:34 pm, edited 8/19/08 6:36 pm
Well, I will be seeing Dr. Crookes on tuesday to discuss what he will do.  I'm hoping for the DS, but if he decides that the RNY is best for me, then I will go with that. 

I need to loose some weight real quick.  What is the best way for me to do that?
Most Active