Questions on revision

Vanda
on 8/10/08 12:45 am - Brampton, Canada

He is making a smaller pouch from what I remember.  I guess that will be on of my questions.  I had Verticcal band gastroplasty in 1991 and slowly the weight came back on as I was only able to eat and drink high calorie things without throwing up.  Dr. Poplawski the surgeon that will be doing my Rouex en y surgery on Septembe 30th said that is what I did over the years to feel normal when eating and not throwing up.  So all the weight I lost came back on over the years.

I hope and pray that this WLS will be better than the last one I had and I plan on being very educated on all the do's and don'ts so that it will be as successful as it can be for me.

These boards are an amazing source of information and I will continue to read them and post on them all the time.

Vanda

Sarah76010
on 8/9/08 11:59 pm - Mansfield, TX
Vanda,

just out of curiosity - what made you choose the RNY?

"You can make a life, or you can make excuses, but you can't do both."

Considering weight loss surgery? Check out the DS first!!
www.dsfacts.com

Vanda
on 8/10/08 12:51 am, edited 8/10/08 12:54 am - Brampton, Canada
I have a few friends that went to Michigan to have RNY and their results are amazing.  I made a decision to go for a consult and I met Dr. Pop who did a swallow test and told me that I had  a leak in one of my staples from past WLS and I feel more  than ready to have the revision to RNY. 

It is a 4-15 year wait here in Canada to have this surgery and it costs 20 thousand or more.  Our Ohip coverage covers the whole cost if we go to the US to get it done because of  the long term tissue damage that one has being obese.  As long as your family doctor approves it and sends in the papers to Ohip then you are on your way to WLS.

I have done research over this past year on RNY and it being a revision for me the success rate that I have found on the internet alone is amazing.

Vanda
ginau
on 8/10/08 1:30 am - mesa, AZ

vanda

I am sorry - I cant wrap my brain around going to Mexico to  have surgery.. I guess I keep  thinking about a woman  *****cently went down and passed away after surgery. I know it can happen to anywhere , anytime to anyone.  - It's just  Mexico is hard  with language  and political issue's if anything happens - It is a 3rd world  country.

have you checked in with any other american surgeons?

I wish you well!  your much braver than I

Jennifer W.
on 8/10/08 2:24 am - Kimberly, OR
I went to Mexico. The care was impeccable. Don't let one unfortunate story scare you. Deaths happen everywhere.

The language barrier was not a problem for me. They know what you need. They speak enough to care for you and I got "red carpet" treatment. I never suffered pain and they answered EVERY time I called within seconds!

Best wishes to you

Jen

Sarah76010
on 8/10/08 2:52 am - Mansfield, TX
good for you for doing research. as a revision myself, I would just encourage you to check  out the DS, if you haven't already.

The RNY is GREAT for some people; but for some (and this may or may not include you), part of the reason for regain is that you eat more.

With the DS, you still have to pay attention to what you eat, but the restrictions are much less (there's no stoma to get stuck, no dumping, etc.)

Keep up the good research!

"You can make a life, or you can make excuses, but you can't do both."

Considering weight loss surgery? Check out the DS first!!
www.dsfacts.com

runnergirl
on 8/10/08 3:30 am - Canada
 Hey guys, First I wanted to apologize for all poor grammar, wrong words used!!! lol In past posts and future ones!!! lol I am dyslexic and when I get excited and don't pay attention I am all over the board ( no pun intended!! hee hee) Vanda, if I were you I would so check out the States if your health care will pick up the tab.  Here in Alberta , they wont for the DS I don't even think they will cover any wls outside of Canada. If I wanted to go to Ontario they would reimburse me but heck what's the point? The wait time would be even longer for an out of province person. Thats why I was looking into Mexico, at my family doctors suggestion.I read somewhere that Ontario does cover the DS out of country, I'd be all over that!!! Keep me posted,
Heather
Vanda
on 8/10/08 6:28 am - Brampton, Canada

Hello Heather,

Ohip is covering my RNY and I have been approved to have it in Michigan.  I started my approval process on May 28th 2008...got my approval on June 9th 2008 from Ohip......had my consult on July 25th with Dr. Poplawski in Michigan ...............and then got a call for surgery for September 30th 2008.  All in less than 4 months....that is pretty quick since here in Ontario there is a 4 to 15 year wait for WLS.

Vanda

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/08 7:55 am - Brampton, Canada
Best wishes Vanda on your upcoming RNY surgery.  I too had a VBG back in /87 and lost 100% of my excess weight for many years before gaining it back.  Mine was done in Toronto with Dr. Deitel.  I had a revision to a Lap Band in /06 and lost more than 100% of my excess weight and still below goal.  My second wls has been so much easier than the first one and I'm sure you will do well with yours too.
Vanda
on 8/10/08 8:26 am, edited 8/10/08 8:29 am - Brampton, Canada
First I want to clear something up.  Ginau I am not going to Mexico to have my surgery, I am going to Michigan sorry for the confusion.

Donna,

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I had VBG in Toronto with Dr. Deitel too.  Back then there was no support group or any dietery directions to follow.  I am so glad that the surgeries that are being done now have Nutritionist and doctor follow up to make sure that things go right.

Where did you get your revised surgery done.  Mine is being done on September 30th 2008 in Michigan with Dr. Poplawski.  I am so excited. 

Vanda
Most Active