Questions on revision

Vanda
on 8/9/08 9:47 am - Brampton, Canada

I had Vertical Band Gastroplasty (stomache stapling) in the early 90's here in Toronto.  Needless to say I lost weight and then gained it all back again.  I was only able to only eat high calorie foods and liquids which is why all the weight evently came back on,  I am now having surgery in September for a revision to Roux-en-y,  Has anyone ever had the same surgery as me and then done this kind of revision and if so how did it work out for you.

Vanda
runnergirl
on 8/9/08 11:37 am - Canada
 Hi I had stomach stapling in 97 and am waiting for the Dr to look at my barium swallow to see if he can do the DS procedure. If all goes well I should be in Mexico the beginning of September. I want to see how the revision would be done, I can't find it on the internet. Have you had any luck finding stuff?
Heather
Vanda
on 8/9/08 12:41 pm - Brampton, Canada
Why are you going to Mexico to have the surgery?  Yes I have been looking all day and  found lots on revised from VBG to Roux en y.  I went to google and lots came up. It says it is very successful.

Vanda
runnergirl
on 8/9/08 12:55 pm - Canada
 Hi Vanda,
I am going to Mexico because the wait list in Canada is long, anywhere from 2 to 5 years. I want the Ds procedure after doing the research, I think its a good fit for me.It will cost me 5,000.00 more the RYN but I like the long term results and that you can eat more or different types of food. I'm excited, lol It's kinda a hard time, everyone has an opinion!!! I think it's because they love me and worry. How is it going for you?
Heather
Kerry J.
on 8/9/08 11:59 pm - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Heather,

Which Mexican Doctors are  you looking at for your revision?

I'm looking at the same thing and so far only Dr. Ungson, looks experienced enough for me to consider. If there are others, I sure would like to know about them.

Kerry
runnergirl
on 8/10/08 1:43 am - Canada
 Morning Terry,
 Yes Dr. Ungson will be preforming my revision. I came to the same conclusion, His references are great and even in my case he will not decide if it will be the DS until he reviews the results from the barium swallow. A lot of the reading suggests it needs to be malabsorption as well for  a second surgery to effective..I sure hope we can do the DS instead of the RNY. I guess I would take the RNY if it were my only choice but.... lol Did you read LeaAnn's page? They even have a support group on yahoo. Somewhere I even read that the DS is a better fit for the surgeon than the DS, I really have no idea!!!! I have read sooooo much stuff and I can't really find any good sources about the revision. I would love to know if you have had any luck.
Talk soon,
Heather
scaryreader
on 8/10/08 10:19 am - Chicago, IL
There are many  fantastic docs in the U.S. who do revisions. I had stomach stapling in '76. I had a revision to the DS in 2006 and have lost 170lbs. Why go to Mexico?

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

Kerry J.
on 8/10/08 10:16 pm, edited 8/10/08 10:17 pm - Santa Clara, UT
scaryreader,

There are a number of reasons to consider going to Mexico for DS revision surgery; for me it boils down to these:

1. In Mexico, I have access to the surgeons; I can ask specific questions and get specific answers. Here I can't even see a surgeon untill I attend a "seminar" about WLS surgery. It's a joke.

2. There are no surgeons within 300 miles of where I live that have enough experience to even consider.

3. Once the needed testing is done, I can schedule surgery in Mexico in 2-3 weeks, here I can't even find anyone that will talk to me about it.

4. If you read the patient reviews the Mexican care is better than US care.

5. I'm self pay and costs in the US range from $35-40k, Mexico $12-15k.

All that being the case, I would stay in the US if I could find an experienced surgeon that would do the surgery within 4 weeks at a cost of no more than $30k. So far, that's a pipe dream.

Kerry 
ginau
on 8/9/08 2:45 pm - mesa, AZ

Vanda

You should have  very good results ! are they  just rerouting the limb / intestine  or are they  sectioning off a msaller pouch ?? it sounds to me like you will be a D.S'er .   When is your big day ??

Sherry C.
on 8/9/08 11:37 pm - Plainview, TX
Please read my profile. Mine was done in 1987. I had a lap RNY in July 2007 and have lost >150 lbs since.
Good Luck,
 Keep in touch
Sherry
                                   Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal              
        John   341/331/163/185            Sherry   345/338/201/165
        John 22 lbs below goal                   Sherry 47 lbs  till goal
 JOHN                                                               Sherry 122 inches lost

Most Active