Dr. Schlesinger and the ERNY

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/08 5:26 am
Just a question for you folks who've had a revision to the ERNY.... Is anything done to the pouch, or does he only shorten the common channel length?

Thanks,
Jill
ginau
on 8/7/08 6:47 am - mesa, AZ

I cant speak for Dr S - But he did check my pouch  for any issue's  - all was good and he chose to just shorten the common channel.

If there is any issue with the pouch he will address it .  Luckily for me it ws still small and in good shape ..  just empty's fast !

JROLFSON
on 8/8/08 1:29 am - St. George, UT
Gina I have a question:

I'm sure prior to your Distal you asked this to Dr. S yourself. If your pouch empties fast, would it not be a good idea to have a stomaphyx to tighten the stoma as well as extend the RNY. I know you had a ERNY but will the intestines actually become accustomed as in the original RNY and perhaps allow you to absorb more food later on. This type of thing haunts me and for the life of me If I go through yet another WLS I don't ever want to have to go through it again...I'm getting too old.

Thanks Gina for the always great comments and responses.

JRolfson
ginau
on 8/8/08 4:03 am - mesa, AZ

JR

I personally dont have good feelings about stomaphyx  for those who have more than 50 lbs to loose - the few I know who have done it have had very limited success. 

As to weather or not my body will be accustomed to the new length - only time will tell !  everyones body is so differant. the body  can do some amazing things ! like grow intestine back , I think now I have to really work on good choices and moving it more.. I am so lazy about  exercise .. and I know that it does come down to it .. we have to work harder & smarter ... this is my last  surgery for weight loss too.

Question to Ponder - why do some of us do so well and others dont ???   

karenwhiting
on 8/8/08 5:37 am
 I had the stomaphyx on 6/30/08 and have lost 33 pounds to date.  We are all different.  It is what my physician and I felt was best .  I have 100+ more pounds to lose.  I am doing my best to make this surgery work for and with me.   Every procedure isn't for every person and everyone should do their own research to find what they feel is best for them.  We can all make it and be healthy!  We need to support each other no matter the surgery choice.  Good luck and God bless you all! 
ginau
on 8/8/08 10:05 am - mesa, AZ

Karen

That is awesome results !! I cant wait to follow your success !!  please keep us posted ..

JROLFSON
on 8/11/08 12:54 am - St. George, UT
Hi Gina:

Thanks for responding. I too don't have very good feelings about Stompahyx although it was something I was considering several months ago but have found the results not to be enough for what I personally need. But in my previous question to you I guess what I was asking was, if your pouch is streched would Dr. S do a Stomaphyx along with an ERNY? Something to make the Stoma smaller as well shorten the common channel? I didn't ask that question the first time very clearly, sorry.

JR
ginau
on 8/11/08 3:09 am - mesa, AZ

I think he would consider doing a pouch reduction - after he see's what it looks like. I know in talking to him - he prefers not to touch the pouch  if he does'nt have  too.. Its a long procedure and carries a lot more risk  of something going wrong , infection etc....  But I do believe he would consider Stomaphyx at the time of the  revision - I think its  done pretty  quickly , and I think it make more sense than  cutting & suturing.

You  can p/m  him and ask - He  will respond!  

JROLFSON
on 8/11/08 4:35 am - St. George, UT
Again, Gina thanks so much you are always so quick to respond and thorough. I feel you have done your homework and so like your answers.

I was just wondering what you think about the 50cm common channel, I know that you opted or DR. S opted for a longer common channel. Can you explain why that was?

JR
mew6495
on 8/8/08 1:02 pm - MI
 Hi JRolfson,

I am investigating a revision and had the same concern as you about if I go through this again will my intestines compensate and overcome the revision much like my first time around.  I asked Dr. S. during my phone consult this very question.  He  explained to me that there is a point where the intestines will compensate but only up to a certain amount.  There comes a point where they can not over compensate once the common channel gets below a given length.  This is one reason for the ERNY.  Early on when they were doing all those RNY's I don't think they had a full understanding just how miraculous the body can be when healing itself.  That is one reason many doctors now are opting for the distal or ERNY because the body can only compensate for so much.  But again everybody is different and there is no 100% guarantee regardless of the procedure you choose.  I have read posts from different people who have had different procedures who have gained weight farther out, DS included.  It comes down to making a choice that best suits you, your life style and what your looking for.  This is where it comes down to "no one procedure fits everyone".  I know how worrisome it can be not knowing if you will be in the same place again after your second chance.  Maybe along with getting a 2nd chance we also choose to make better choices about our life style.    Good luck to you with your decision and your journey!
Most Active