Talked w/Dr. Schlesinger today

darnell239
on 8/7/08 6:28 am - Columbia, SC
Hello All,

Yesterday, I was encouraged by Ginau "from this site"  to contact Dr. Schlesinger and discuss my non-weight loss situation with him.    I am so glad I did this.  I called his office yesterday and spoke with Jen a member of his office team.  She spoke nicely to me on the phone and listened to my situation.  She had me send a copy of my surgery notes to her for Dr. Schlesinger's review.  Dr. Schlesinger called me this afternoon and spoke with me for 40 minutes!  The doctors I pay don't even give me that much time.  Dr. Schlesinger was a real "straight shooter" and explained to me the surgery notes in layman's terms.  Basically, the surgeon I had turned my old mini-gastric bypass into the RNY which will help with some of the acid reflux I had.  However, the bypass part was very minimal.  He kindly explained that I needed a more malabsorbtive bypass and my doctor did not go that route.  Also, he discussed the stitching that was used on the lower part of my pouch and stoma was basically useless.  Which, I agree because I have no restriction.

He understood what I meant when I said that the doctor, nurse, and nutritionist are putting the fault back on me versus admitting that I didn't have the type of surgery that was a good fit for me.  He discussed nutrition with me and because of the type of revision surgery I had I'm going to have to focus more on my food intake and choice.  He also, thinks I should see the surgeon and let him know my feeling about the surgery and how I was treated.  I do plan to do that.  I don't know when but I want to pull myself together mentally and emotionally first.  Dr. Schlesinger honestly told me that I need to wait 6 months to 1 year if I decide to do anything surgical in the future.  Right now I doubt if I will be putting my body through any more surgeries.  I wish more weight loss surgeons had Dr. Schlesinger's attitude and personality.  Sometimes, I really believe that some doctors feel that because of who they are they don't have to show you common courtesy, take out time to explain things to you, or to even call you to address concerns.   Most weight loss surgeons would rather blame the patient if the surgery is a failure vs admitting that a particular weight loss surgery may not be appropriate the patients.  I'm a big believer that all weight loss surgeries do not fit all.

I would encourage anyone seeking wls surgery and live in Arizona that you should first see Dr. Schlesinger.  Too bad I live on the east coast.
latinasoi
on 8/7/08 6:57 am - Orlando, FL
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Well said!!!!! I totally agree with you on everything. Too bad Arizona is so far!!!!  I also live on the east coast.  I have contemplated many times calling Dr. Schlesinger's office to see about a revision.  But then reality bites me in the behind and the fact that I would have to travel to AZ and be there 10 days or more is difficult. Something about leaving the family behind doesn't feel right..  Please keep us informed of your progress. And good luck on your journey!!! God Bless
ginau
on 8/7/08 7:02 am - mesa, AZ

Darnell

Too funny I was about to p/m you.   I am so happy you talked to Dr S and he addressed your concerns - He is a wealth of information. and very generous to share.

I hope and pray you find peace within yourself. give your body and mind time to heal, make healthy choices. learn to live with your new plumbing.  You have plenty of time to decide if you want to take another step down lifes path. right now  you can sit and catch your breath on the park bench of life.  

Deanne K.
on 8/7/08 11:35 am - Tucson, AZ
I am so glad that you got to talk to Dr. Schlesinger.  He does tell it like it is and I really like that about him.  He is good to tell you what you need to think about and do to accomplish your goals.  He is a generous person to answer all your questions.  I had my appeal sent in for my revision with Dr. Schlesinger and I hope it will get approved.  I hope that you can get jump started and start losing weight.  You will do it.  You have it in you. 

If you need anything from any of us, please let us know.  We are here for you.  Good luck on your journey and keep us all informed.
Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/08 11:44 am, edited 8/7/08 11:45 am - Orlando, FL
"Sometimes, I really believe that some doctors feel that because of who they are they don't have to show you common courtesy, take out time to explain things to you, or to even call you to address concerns.   Most weight loss surgeons would rather blame the patient if the surgery is a failure vs admitting that a particular weight loss surgery may not be appropriate the patients."

This is so true! My sis (Latinasoi) went through this exact same thing with a surgeon who didn't even bother to look at her records or even get her history.  All he could do was yell at her and humiliate her in front of her daughter and made her look like she was the failure. You can read my post at this link:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/FL/a,messageboard/action,r eplies/board_id,4811/cat_id,4411/topic_id,3683845/

This world needs more doctors like Dr. Schlesinger. 

I wish you luck!
latinasoi
on 8/7/08 7:05 pm - Orlando, FL
OKAHHHHHHH!
darnell239
on 8/8/08 1:20 am - Columbia, SC

Riquena,

I just read the post you attached and I see you can empathize with what I went through with the doctors office.  I know everybody has good and bad days but everyone needs to set it aside when they are in there work place.  I'm glad I cancelled my appointment because I've finally realized that I am a paying customer/patient.  I deserve a certain amount of respect and consideration for what I am going through.  I deserved to at least have my call returned and when it did not happen it told me that I was not valued as a customer/patient.

By the way, I was going to use Dr. Overcash last year but my husband had a bad feeling about him and the way his office operates.  So, we decided against him and from what you described we made a good choice.

melsreturn
on 8/8/08 12:02 am - Madison, TN

I feel very fortunate to not have these types of problems.  I am just learning that these things can happen, where the surgeon didn't bypass it correctly or something. I don't understand it all, but you have been through so much. ESPECIALLY if they made you to feel like its all your fault! Boo on them.  They should be ashamed of themselves! You have nothing to be ashamed of as you have struggled so hard and tried and sacrificed.

I really hope you are able to get this fixed! Hugs to you sis.

M. Hall
on 8/8/08 1:05 am - Norcross, GA
I am so happy that you took that next step, because I was a little worried about you from reading your posts. GINA always gives good advice, she has helped me thru some bad times. Dont get me wrong I absolutely love my Doctor, but Dr Schlesinger sounds like he is the ish to me. Just from reading all the other posts and this one and how he took time to call you back and your not his patient. Oh he is a Angel. I too wouldve been down if that happen to me. But  I have faith that everything will be OK. I will keep you in my prayers.
darnell239
on 8/8/08 1:23 am - Columbia, SC
Thanks for your words of encouragement.  I've accepted the fact that my weight loss is completely be dependent on what I do not what the surgery was suppose to help me do. 
Most Active