Questions about revision?????

PA F.
on 8/6/08 2:40 pm - ARCATA, CA
I previously posted a message  and received some great responses....I had my RNY 4-23-03....and I have gained back most of my weight.  Don't get me wrong, my surgery went well and I lost a lot of weight over 127 lbs and dropped from a 28-30W down to 18-20W, which was great because I was never meant to be a small woman.  But, within the past 1.5 years, I have steadily gained due to life cir****tances, stress, miscarriage, and then full term pregnancy....So, now I cannot blame my 15 month old any longer....especially since I gained a lot of weight post partum.  Besides, the baby is too cute to blame:)  I can acknowledge, recognize, and deal with my past eating patterns and their re-emergene....UGH.  So, I am currently re-learning what I already knew....and trying to do better. Yes, exercise, yes I drink water, and yes, it is twice as hard now that I am 5 years older.

I am looking into revision...someone suggested the StomaphyX....I am in the beginning stages of research and would like to do anything to avoid unnecessary pain.  My best friend just had her surgery on Monday and had a bleed, so they had to go back in and when I saw her today, it broke my heart and brought back all those memories of pain..

Can anyone give me some input on this particular procedure and their experiences....

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/08 4:03 pm
PA F.
on 8/7/08 5:42 am - ARCATA, CA
I just received a call from SF Laproscopic w/ Dr. Cerangle and Jossart.  They indicated that revision surgery is not covered by insurance and that it is an out of pocket expense roughly 15K. Wow,.....Can anyone give my some insight on revision insurance coverage. Is it even possible? Or am I really looking at more out of pocket expenses.  Technically, my BMI is over 40 and so medial necessity could be justifiable. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/08 3:48 pm - AZ
Have you considered Mexico?  SOME of the surgeons are better than the best.  If you have to pay out of pocket, at least go to the best surgeon possible for the least cost.

ImArustyRose
on 8/9/08 11:35 am - TX
From personal experience I would like to suggest that you make a VERY educated decision on what surgery is best for revision.   You cant just keep going back in and fix it if it does not work.  Adhesions and age and opportunities can limit options after the first surgery.  If there is a second as in my case it is nearly impossible to find a surgeon with the expertise and willingness to do yet another revision.  I have studied this issue at length.  If I have the opportunity to have a revision it will be with one of the following Docs-  Gagner, Husted, Anthone.  I would not consider anything but the DS because the others do not appear to be as successful or as easy to live with.   I cannot afford to go back in again if I am fortunate enough to have a revision.  Think carefully.   Dont settle for a doc or a procedure just because your insurance is willing.   YOU need to decide which surgeon and which procedure.  God speed whatever you decide

ARustyRose

roro30
on 8/10/08 5:24 am - far rockaway, NY

I'm going though the same thing, do this happen to a lot of people. I went from 320 to 155 now I'm up to 230. I doing the same thing   I did in the being. Some time I think I fail.

Debbie B.
on 1/30/09 2:49 am - Temple, TX
I just recently (1-19-2009) had the band placed over my RNY - My pouch was still small but my stoma had stretched.  My surgeon did not give me really any option but the banding.  We talked about the DS and also extended RNY.  My original sugery was 6/2001 and I lost 130 lbs.  and over the next 7 1/2 years gained back 30.  Due to adhesions, etc.  the scheduled laproscopic turned into a open surgery (original was open as well).  So far today is the 11th day out and I am back to work and down 10 lbs.  I kinda like I did in the beginning of RNY days.  Yesterday my diet consisted of 3 oz of shrimp, 3 oz of Salmon and then pinto's and cheese from Taco Bell for dinner.  I am not hungry at all.  I have to make myself eat.   I have please so far..  If anyone has any questions, please email me at [email protected] and I will chat with you. 
Most Active