Cancelled my follow-up Dr. appointment

darnell239
on 8/6/08 2:51 am - Columbia, SC
To everyone familiar with my situation as you know I had revision surgery on July 10.  Since then I have lost a whopping 2 pounds!  Those *****ad my previous post and profile know that I have no restriction.  I'm following the eating plan that the nutritionist gave.  I get to eat 2 ounces of food every 2 hours.  By the way I don't have a 2 ounce pouch.  I can eat the same amount of food post-op as I could pre-op.  I am mall walking twice a day, I'm eating the required amount of protein, and drinking the water. 

I called the doctor's office early last week and left 2 messages with the nurse.  I told her that I'm not loosing weight, I have no restriction, and I'm becoming discouraged because I am not seeing any results.  I ask if she would consult with the doctor and see if there are any additional test I can have to see what may be wrong.  I never heard back from the office so I called back again yesterday to follow-up.  The receptionist answered and I explained that I've been trying to get a hold of the nurse about my problem.   The receptionist coldly stated, "that the nurse has received my messages and the doctor has not gotten back with her about my issue."  I found all of this very upsetting because I am a patient of that office and I have concerns.  Even if the doctor didn't get back with the nurse I believe the nurse still should have called and let me know something.  Even, better I feel like the doctor could have called me and discussed my concerns.  I am his patient and he did get paid for this procedure. 

I had an appointment scheduled for next Monday and after much thinking and contemplation I cancelled it.  When I called to cancel the receptionist had a "whatever" attitude.  I believe as a paying patient I deserve better treatment.  I know that doctor offices are busy places but so are many offices and you should try and take care of your patients/customers.  I live 2 hours from the doctors office and I have to pay $100.00 for my nutritionist visit.  I know there are reasons for appointments but am I wrong to want better treatment?  It is difficult enough dealing with a revision surgery that is not working and then to be treated like you are no longer there problem.
NeedhamGal
on 8/6/08 3:13 am - MA
I know you are frustrated..but I would go to the doctor appt so you can then actually see your doctor and talk with him.    The doctor appt should cost for I believe within 90 days of surgery they don't re-bill insurance (an insurance thing).   I know you have a commute, but take the day and go.   Perhaps when the doctor realizes how frustrated you are..he will be sympathetic and will try hard to figure out what is going on.   Please consider seeing the doc before you call it quits.

Joan
ginau
on 8/6/08 3:50 am - mesa, AZ

Darnell

Did  he shorten your common channel, ( bypass more intestine ???  it makes no sense to me that your not dropping weight.  I would make sure to  reschedule that appt and sit down with both  dr and Nut !  something is not right !!

darnell239
on 8/6/08 6:06 am - Columbia, SC
Hi Ginau,

I have a copy of the surgery notes and I looked over them and I hate to admit I don't completly understand all the terminology used.  However, for what I did understand from the surgery notes I don't think he shorten the common channel nor do any additional bypassing.   I honestly think that he converted my mini bypass into the RNY and applied the stomaphx procedure through the revision (he didn't go down my throat).  We all know how "successful" the stomaphx procedure is.  Also, I really feel that if I did go to the appointment that blame for the lack of success would be shifted on me.  I'm frustrated enough and I don't think I can mentally take being blame for my surgery not working.  We all know on this forum we are tended to be blamed when things don't work out.  Maybe in a couple of weeks I will feel better mentally and then reschedule the appointment.  I've also considered that when I emotionally calm down I will write that doctor's office and put attn: to that doctor and express exactly how I feel.  I don't know if it will work or not but it will me get my feeling off my chest.
ginau
on 8/6/08 6:36 am - mesa, AZ

I understand .  So  what is your plan of attack for right now ?  

Maybe  you could  try something differant ,  go back to eating 3  meals a day and  add in a protein shake or two ??   get some good solid food choices  and   push up the water volume .. Just seems  if nothing else is working ??

I am going to send you a p/m - watch for it ..

Arizonadck
on 8/6/08 4:35 am - Chicago, IL

I'm so sorry this is happening to you - I know how frustrated you must feel.  But I really think you need to keep your appt and see the doctor face-to-face.  Maybe he is sympathetic with you and the girl just isn't relaying it!  Perhaps he will have an explanation for it - regardless, you need to have follow-up care to make sure you take care of you!!  Pleae rebook the appt!! 

JRinAZ
on 8/6/08 4:47 am - Layton, UT

Ahh Darnell!  I am sooooo sorry you're having to go through this junk!  You're in the stage when you should be able to post all of your happy reports!!!!  You've been working towards this revision for so long!  What's up with the office folks?  Do you think the surgeon just isn't getting the messages?  Can you get a copy of your op report so you at least know the details of what was actually done?  None of us like having our "oopsies" pointed out to us so maybe your surgeon just needs a minute wrap his brain around the possibilities....then to research your problems and then come up with a plan?  (giving him the benefit of the doubt?).......

...........I"m sure you've already gone through the plateau checklist?  Salt?  Water intake?  High protein?  etc.....You said you were following his plan exactly though so I"m sure "postal" thoughts are hovering!  ......  I'd say to keep that appointment....march in there with your list.....try the sugarcoated approach first then resort to nasty if warranted?

......Hopefully your body just decides to release 20 pounds or so at once and then jumpstarts itself into the downslide!  .....  Prayers your way......and big Hugggzzzz!  Keep us posted!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

darnell239
on 8/6/08 6:53 am - Columbia, SC
Hi Joyce,

Please read the post I sent to Ginau.  It will also answer the questions you had.
Arizonadck
on 8/6/08 10:40 am - Chicago, IL
Hi - I know I responded to you earlier but I wanted to add something.  When I had my RNY 5 years ago I was a very slow loser at first.  2 weeks after surgery everyone who had surgery the same week (there were 6 of us) had to meet with the nutritionist as a group.  We got weighed in there.  It was my first time on a scale since surgery (the one I have at home only went up to 300# and I was well over it.  So, they each got on the scale losing between 10-35 # in those 2 weeks (the guys lost the most, of course).  I got on and was devastated - I only lost 4#.  Well, 3 days later I had my follow-up with the surgeon and it was the same on his scale.  I was so close to tears and he just took my hand and assured me I would start losing.  Well, 2 weeks later another follow-up appt and I did drop 15 # in those 2 weeks and it started coming off!!  I was so relieved - I had been so sure I was the only one surgery wasn't going to work on.  And in the next year I lost 170#.  So please just keep following the regiment like you're doing -- you're definitely doing everything right!  And perhaps, like Joyce says, you'll just have a big drop.  If not Monday, then perhaps make an appt to see the doctor in a couple of weeks - you will need follow-up to make sure you're healing properly.  Take care!  I'll say a prayer for you!!!  Carolyn
darnell239
on 8/6/08 12:30 pm - Columbia, SC
Carolyn,

Thanks for the encouraging words.  They mean a lot especially when I am as frustrated and as disappointed as I am.
Most Active