Gaining weight back!!

Sherry F.
on 8/6/08 2:49 am - Ravenna, OH

Hello to all,
I haven't been to this website in years. But, I'm having issue with my weight.. I'm gaining. I know it's because I eat more now than when I had my surgery in 2003. I just feel that I have no pouch anymore. That all my food just goes straight to my intestines an fells it up.
It upsets me so much cause I said that I'd never go back to the way I was before. But, I'm feeling that I'm heading that way!  When I had the surgery I couldn't an didn't really what to eat. I lost all the cravings that I had all my life.. FOOD. But, it's coming back. Those awful cravings that make you go crazy.!! I would like some advice from anyone that has this or had this issue!! 

Should I be contacting The Surgery Group that did my surgery??

Thanks,

Sherry.

randomlysam
on 8/6/08 3:04 am - Arlington, VA
Revision on 08/20/08 with
Its fairly normal (so I've been told) that over the years you will gain weight back, your pouch and the restrictions you once had will change.  There are so many factors.  Could be not getting enough water, calcium, vitamins, sleep.  Could be stress.  Could be hormonal, could be drinking high calorie liquids, like wine or beer.

I had my original surgery in 2000.  I've gained about 50 pounds over the last 2 years, and I feel kind of the way you do.  Some days I can eat a lot, some days hardly anything.  My thyroid has been off, so that contributed.  However, i also drink way more frequently...and have been making very poor food choices of late.

I'm scheduled for a revision on 8/20.  I never lost enough weight anyway so I'm hoping the revision and all the new information I'm learning about gastric bypass will help.  I've re-learned so much in the last few days, I am so ready to start fresh.

Contact your original doc, he might need an upper GI to see whats going on...then work from there.

Good luck! 
tulagirl
on 8/6/08 12:55 pm - Schenectady, NY
What type of revision are you having?  I am in the process of trying to get one and wondered which you were doing.  Good luck with your surgery
Margie McQueen
on 8/30/08 1:57 pm - Sebastian, FL
I noticed your doc is from the same practice that I have!  I had an appt in April (insurance would not cover because I was not heavy enough! Am now!) - the doc suggested a revision type surgery that they now do... I never considered (or thought of) asking about a lap band over the RNY - it appears to me, based on research, that the lap band has a greater success rate over the years...   did you have the revision done?  If so, what procedures did you have done and how are you doing? 

Any thoughts on that?  I am hoping to meet with the doc the end of the month to get things rolling... Want to be a big loser...

PS  I live in Bristow but work in Arlington!

Sherry F.
on 8/6/08 3:09 am - Ravenna, OH
Thanks so much for repsonding back to me. I think I have been making poor food choices too! I need to be more strickter with myself.
sherry...
randomlysam
on 8/7/08 2:56 am - Arlington, VA
Revision on 08/20/08 with
Just one thing about food choices.  Early post-op it was easy (remembering myself) to keep track of what went into my mouth.  When I started having some issues gaining weight, my doc tested my thyroid but also suggested I keep a 'completely honest' fod diary for 1 week. 

I was positively horrifed at what I was consuming!!!  It wasn't bad on the weekends when I was at home and had less access to the casual stuff I have during the week.  In one day I might start with a bagel, have a 'nonfat' latte, then some pretzels and a diet soda mid morning.  No protein, no nothing but carbs..no wonder I was hungry. 

Lunch was a burrito or burrito rice bowl, diet soda, then I'd want a piece of chocolate or a pastry or something in the afternoon. 

At least 3 nights a week I had drinks after work, so 2-3 gin and tonics or glasses of wine.  Bar snacks, like pretzels and nuts

Dinner was who know what...chicken, pasta, maybe a salad.  and don't forget a few cookies afterwards.

Yea, I was horrified  And thats just an average example, not counting the PMS days when I wanted a piece of cake and didn't care if I 'dumped' afterwards.  And let's not forget the frappucinos from starbucks.  Pretty scary stuff actually.

Ok, sorry for being so lengthy here but I just wanted to throw out that a food diary for a few days is a super eye opener (and don't forget to calculate what you eat).  I was able to see my real weak times of day with mine.
VGee
on 8/6/08 3:09 pm - Metairie, LA
Hi, all
I would like to jump in here and tell you my story to maybe encourage some of you.  I had open RNY some maybe 16 years ago and lost alot of weight but no even close to my goal.  But things happened, I was injured at work (broke my back ended up with having a number of surgeries) and loads of other issues. I too swore I would never gain my weight back.  Then comes 2 auto accidents, Being diagnosed with MS, loosing everything I owned in Hurricane Katrina and zippy do dah day here I am...65 pounds close to where I start 16 years ago,...That was until Last Thursday.  I had a laproscopic Gastric Bypass Revision and I was the best thing I have ever done in my life.  I feel fine and as of today when I went to see my doctor I have lost 17 pounds.  I could not be more Happy.
Arizonadck
on 8/6/08 11:24 pm - Chicago, IL
God Bless you!  Even with all lthese health problems and obstacles in your way you have succeeded - and I don't mean just in weight loss!  I applaud your strength.  Keep us posted on how you're doing!  I wish you all the best!!  Carolyn
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/08 3:55 am - TX
Your food might be slipping out of your pouch quickly, leaving you hungry and empty.  I'd get an Upper GI and endoscopy to rule out mechanical failure first.
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/08 12:57 am
Sorry to hijack this thread, but Starry, do you care to let me know how your recovery was for your revision? I'm wondering how long I'm going to be off work, etc. I'm planning to see Dr. Husted when he gets here in KY.

Thanks,
Jill
Most Active