Lap Band to RNY

Laura F.
on 8/5/08 11:10 am
Hi everyone,

I had my lap band done alomost three years ago. I am looking into RNY. Is the conversion form LB to RNY do laproscopically? How long were you off work? Has anyone had any experience with Aetna? Thanks for any input!!
Charlene C.
on 8/5/08 11:25 am
I am having the revision from lapband to RNY..I have an apt for my cardiac clearance on the 18th then hopefully its a breeze from there. The surgeon who is doing mine is doing it lap just like my band was done...no huge cuts just the small ones...good luck on yours and feel free to keep in touch!

Hugs
Charlene
lapoli7
on 8/5/08 2:22 pm - Rialto, CA
Hello Ladies! I am also looking into this type of revision surgery.
I got my band 3 yrs ago this September and I am where I started
at in the beginning. I was wondering if they did the
surgery lapriscopically too. I am glad to hear that they can do it that
way to make healing time alot quicker. I will be starting my Kaiser
classes in September. I am hoping to have my surgery before April of 09.

Keep me posted on your journey. I am here to share mine as well!!

Good Luck! . 
Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Surgery- revision from LapBAND to RNY 11/28/08
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6
415 lbs  / 403 lbs / 316 lbs  /220 lbs
highest / surgery / current  /   goal

ginau
on 8/5/08 2:28 pm - mesa, AZ
Depends on your surgeon , but yes Lapro is normal way its  done ! 3-4 weeks is about right  for time off. 5-6 ports . most pain is from gas ..
NeedhamGal
on 8/5/08 11:33 pm - MA
Hi, I had the conversion from band to rny 4 weeks ago yesterday.  Surgery was actually easier than the lap band for you don't have a port jammed into your stomach muscles. of course, for the surgeeon the surgery was harder@
I recovered well...the day after surgery I was dicey, but I was active in 4-5 days. I took two weeks off from work but I work from home.   At support group yesterday, this topic came up...things to consider.....if you can take 6 weeks...better to sign up for 6 weeks and then go back earlier if you feel like it...if you need to commute /take a train ...that would legnthen your day. Food...you will be trying foods that are new to your pouch in week 3. Perhaps this should be at home incase there are some food issues/dumping.   Type of job..desk vs.on feet vs. nursing...etc.

I have no info on Aetna.  Let me know if I can answer any other Questions.

Good luck in the journey. Joan
Kathy B.
on 8/11/08 8:46 am - East Windsor, CT
Hi,

I just had a revision with Dr. Lautz on the 18th (it was scheduled for the 14th, but he hurt his neck and was out for a few days).  He fixed a fistula and an enlarged stoma opening from my original RNY, and removed part of my stomach - he performed it lap.

I was very difficult to intubate, and I had some complications after surgery, so I was in the hospital for 5 days.  I've continued to have some problems, mainly because I pulled a muscle in my abs (ouch ), but now things are going well.  I've been off from work since the 18th, and I'm going back on Wednesday.

As far as Aenta is concerned - I have Aetna HMO, and they covered me - no problem for this procedure.  However, they do NOT cover anything done endoscopically, which was my first choice.

Hope this helps.
Kathy Bilodeau
RNY 12/3/03
Revision 7/18/08
ZenGirl227
on 8/6/08 12:16 am - GA
I hate my band as well and have struggled to lose 51 pounds in the past 16 months. My surgeon and I have briefly begun to discuss conversion to RNY if this band continues to fail. Best of luck to everyone!
Kathy P.
on 8/6/08 4:36 am - Bagley, MN
Im beginning to look into it as well.  The lapband wasn't what I had hoped for it to be.  I still cant eat much but still cant lose!  Unless its my body.  I do watch what I eat but I am in no means perfect each day.  I am frustrated and just thought it was me!  Any advise is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!
Kathy
charleston-mom
on 8/12/08 12:24 am
I hated my lapband! Had revision in August and am currently at 119 pounds. I wouldn't trade my RNY for anything. Go for it!
Most Active