Where do the distal people go....

peacefuldaizy
on 8/5/08 8:43 pm - South of Buffalo, NY

Thanks for your reply.  I didn't ask for a DS ... BUT, after learning about it here, I sure wish I had had it.  I've lost 150 lbs and am maintaining, but I sure miss drinking with meals and taking NSAIDS.  Not only that, but you read soooo many posts from people who are regaining.

Anyway, best of luck to you, hon! 

Hugs,

Annette

goodkel
on 8/7/08 7:57 pm
On August 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM Pacific Time, Joycez wrote:
It has to more to do with the distal being an easier recovery for me already having had the rny.  It is just a matter of them doing the lower part.  There are no local surgeons and I would have to travel to NYC, Florida or further.  I have an elderly mother who lives with me and my being away so far is an issue.  I will have a 100 common channel and a small pouch with restriction.  I wanted a good surgeon and that meant traveling, Ohio being the closest.

I had asked my original RNY surgeon for a DS and he wouldn't do it and that is the surgery I should have had.  If I could do it all over again, that is the one I would opt for, but being I am being revised, the distal will be a less complicated surgery.

Thank you for the welcome,
Joyce
Of course your original RnY surgeon wouldn't do a revision to the DS.

He probably isn't qualified to do a virgin DS.

The list of qualified DS revision surgeons is even shorter.

I, too, am the sole caretaker of my mother: mini-strokes with dementia and two hip replacements.

I understand how difficult it is to get away and arrange time for your recovery.

I went to Mexico for my DS by myself because I needed all of my support here at home.

But, haven't you already learned the "think twice, cut once" idea? It is better to do this once, revision or not, than to have a surgery with a greater chance of failure than the DS.

And, from what I've read from Vitalady and Jupiter (two distal ladies who frequent the DS board), you are going to have many more malabsorption problems with the distal without any of the DS benefits like fat malabsorption and lack of dumping.

Please, keep researching.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Joycez
on 8/8/08 12:10 am - Buffalo, NY
Hi:  thanks for replying.  The way I understood it was that the fat malabsorption would take place because of being more distal.  The only difference is that I will have an rny pouch and the ds intestines.  I have talked to Michelle about this and I believe I am doing the right thing.  I will continue to ask questions to make sure I am understanding correctly.  Thank you so much,
Joyce
LosingSally
on 8/10/08 7:49 pm
Yuo will most certainly have fat malabsorption with a Distal or Extended RNY. Meaning if you have a short common channel, you will have the same common channel as a DS, but still have the pouch of RNY. You will need all the vitamins for both surgery types, and a good follow up doctor for labs.
People with a short common channel do well in the long term on weight loss maintaince no matter what the stomach part is.
To undo a RNY, resew the stomach back together, and then redivide it, has a huge risk of leaks. This is why many revision surgeons do an extended RNY instead, for the safety of the patient. But it's an individual choice, and you should be the one to make it.
I had a true distal RNY, or what is now called an Extended RNY 3 years ago, ( not as a revision) and I am doing well, and maintain easily. I have had a protein deficiency recently and am now addressing that with protein drinks and extra protein snacks. I eat very well, and can lose weight without much effort if I reduce what I eat, especially carbs, so I eat some daily.
I wish you every success with your revision.
PekinSal
on 8/5/08 7:36 am - UK
We'll be common channel sisters anyway! I have 100cm too, and a tiny 1oz stomach which is more like RNYers than DSers (my surgeon was a bit agressive having seen how far my stomach had stretched round the band).

If you come over to the DS site they'll welcome you - I think we are all learning more about nutrition all the time. I got my first blood test results this week and I'm having to learn what they mean and what I should be doing abou them in terms of taking supplements and responsibility worth it though when your replumbing will help you lose weight and keep it off! The poop discussions are also interesting!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Joycez
on 8/6/08 12:31 pm - Buffalo, NY
Hi Sal:  thanks so much for the welcome.  I read the boards daily and the people on theDS site are a great bunch of people.

Thank you so much,
Joyce
Susie221
on 8/8/08 10:26 am - UK
Hello Ladies
I had a distal rny ,and even with that I did not manage to get all the weight off !!  I lost 53% of my excess , and still the Drs will not perform a revision ,they wanted me to take slimming tablets ! can you believe that ,even though I have high blood pressure !
I am slowly getting to the stage where I am giving up thoughts of revision... and maybe resign myself  to the fact  that even though there are problems with my original op, they will not help me unless of course I go privately and to do that here in the UK  would cost an arm and a leg ..and I just cannot afford it,the hospital where they would do the revision is new with the best surgeons ,and yet I am told that in fact my op IS A SUCCESS and that I should'nt be too dissapointed ,and to also go on a diet ARGGGGGGGGHHHHH
Susie221
on 8/9/08 3:33 am - UK
Joyce,
My bypass was 2 meters ,another surgeon told me that this was pretty much the max that could be done ?I rushed into having a Rny,knowing that a band would not suit me personally , now I too realise that a DS would have been the best op for me ,but  here I am ,I do know of a Dr in Spain who is apparently an expert at DS , and many a US patients travel all that way to be operated on him . I now have a heart condition to contend with ,so even though in the past I contacted the Dr in Spain who said a revision from bypass to ds was possible,I dont think I am in a fit enough state to undergo another major op ,I guess I should really  be happy with what I have lost ,and not harping on about what I have'nt !
Sue x
Most Active