Where do the distal people go....

Joycez
on 8/4/08 10:40 am - Buffalo, NY
Hi am  currently working towards a distal revision.  It is what I have decided for a number of reasons, but it seems there is no distal forum.  Where or where do I belong?  The board has changed so much since I had my original surgery and I still haven't figured out how to change me from rny to revision.

Where do distal people go for advice and support?

Joyce
happy girl
on 8/4/08 11:10 am
I usually lurk on the DS board...I have the same length common channel as a lot of DS'ers.  Michelle (VitaLady.com) is a distal and hangs out there too

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Joycez
on 8/4/08 12:16 pm - Buffalo, NY
Hello:  thanks for replying.  Michelle told me to go there too.     It  seems like a very nice goup, close.  I'm just getting started on this revision thing and it would be nice to know where to go for advice.

Joyce
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/08 12:54 pm - AZ
Joyce,

I am called a hybrid. I have the DS intentestine and half stomach rny. There is really no group for us but I know you will be welcome on the revision or the DS site. I go on the DS site once in a while. I Mostly hang on the revision site. What is your common channel length going to be ? I am a 75 cm common channel. It is a whole new ballgame when you get a revision compared to a RNY. I take the vitamins for DS'er because I have less malaborption than I had with the RNY. Good Luck,

Dawn
Joycez
on 8/4/08 1:13 pm - Buffalo, NY
Hi Dawn:  thanks for your message.  I am going to Dr. Maguire in Ohio and I will have a 100 common channel.  I was going to him thinking I would be revised to a Ds and found out he doesn't do that anymore and just does the distal.  When it was explained why, I thought it was just as good to go distal.  The surgery would be less serious and dangerous.  My primary is all for this but my friends aren't too thrilled with it, especially because it is so far away.  I am not happy about the travel, mainly because I will have to do it alone but I've made up my mind and I know this is the right decision. 

Thank you,
Joyce
ShayZ
on 8/5/08 2:58 am - Somewhere, TX
Hi Joyce, would you mind explaining why the distal is the better surgery for you?  I am leaning towards going to AZ for Dr. S. but as I still have some hoops to jump through am still investigating my options.  Thank you for the dialogue and you know you are more than welcome on this site.
Joycez
on 8/5/08 3:07 am - Buffalo, NY
It has to more to do with the distal being an easier recovery for me already having had the rny.  It is just a matter of them doing the lower part.  There are no local surgeons and I would have to travel to NYC, Florida or further.  I have an elderly mother who lives with me and my being away so far is an issue.  I will have a 100 common channel and a small pouch with restriction.  I wanted a good surgeon and that meant traveling, Ohio being the closest.

I had asked my original RNY surgeon for a DS and he wouldn't do it and that is the surgery I should have had.  If I could do it all over again, that is the one I would opt for, but being I am being revised, the distal will be a less complicated surgery.

Thank you for the welcome,
Joyce
ginau
on 8/5/08 4:29 am - mesa, AZ

To transform to a true  d.s. is a very long and complicated surgery. being and extended or Distal - they simply  alter the  intestine. It is a shorter safer surgery . less chance for  infections etc....   You  will  have the malabsobtion  of a d.s'er & that is the key to  weightloss and your  success !! you may also have some of the issue's a ds'er has

Your pouch is already small  so it should not need to be tweaked . the recovery should be pretty  quick ( in most cases )  

peacefuldaizy
on 8/5/08 9:07 am - South of Buffalo, NY

Hi Joyce!  I see you had Dr. O, who is a phenomenal surgeon!  Wouldn't he do your revision???  Just curious ... I've wondered what I would do if I ever need a revision.

Annette

Joycez
on 8/5/08 10:38 am - Buffalo, NY
Hi Annette: yes, he is a great surgeon, but when I first went to him, I like so many others, was so desperate for surgery, I would have taken anything.  I asked him to do a ds on me and he said " he decides who gets ds" and I just said ok.  I looked into this surgery before there was an OH site and know me and what would be good for me, but I tend to get intimidated quickly.  I was told by his office, that he will not do revisions, he will not do a ds or make anyone more distal.  Now, I have seen someone on this site, younger, and weighs less than I did,  who is getting a ds from him.  I know times have changed and more is known about surgeries, so maybe he does more of them, I just don't know.  But, I do know that I worked with his PA for a year on trying to lose the weight and was told, he does not do revisions.  Someone has told me that a revision gives the first surgeon a bad mark, adds to the failure rate.  I was not one of his successes to begin with.

Joyce
Most Active