Any Revisions by Dr. Advery/Chicago

pam_b
on 8/4/08 11:48 am
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pam
Arizonadck
on 8/5/08 12:40 am - Chicago, IL
Do you mean Alverdy at the University of Chicago?  If so, I had a consultation w/him a month ago.  He was very nice and comes highly recommended - felt very much at ease with him, however, I chose to look elsewhere.  The only revision he will do is the band over bypass (and in extreme cases the DS - but I didn't qualify).  He said he use to do the ERNY (which is what I want) but stopped - says in his view the benefit doesn't outweigh the risk.  So it's the DS (if you qualify) or the band.  What revision are you looking into?  If the band then I would absolutely recommend him.  Another great doctor is Gerald Cahill at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park.  He did my bypass 5 years ago and I love him - trust him completely.  But he too will only do a band over bypass so I'm looking elsewhere.  Let me know what you end up doing - ok!!  Good Luck!!   Carolyn
carmen3823
on 8/9/08 2:37 am - Chicago, IL

Hi, I am planning on having my lap rny with Dr. Cahill.  Which surgery did you want to have?  Just wondering.

Carmen

Arizonadck
on 8/9/08 8:11 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Carmen,
I had an open RNY in June '03.  I love Dr. Cahill - a very skilled and compassionate doctor.  You can't go wrong going to him!   I wish he did the ERNY revision - I would definitely go to him (but like I had said he will only do band over bypass revisions and I just feel I need more than that).  Good Luck!!  When are you scheduled?
Carolyn 
carmen3823
on 8/11/08 12:02 am - Chicago, IL
Hi Carolyn, what is the ERNY? So the Rny didn't work for you?  I am also thinking about the DS.  I am so confused with all these surgeries.
Arizonadck
on 8/11/08 10:06 am - Chicago, IL
Hi, it's Extended RNY - where they shorten the common limb even more - giving you more malabsorption/greater weight loss.  My RNY was successful for 3 years.  I was 350, lost 170, going down to 180.  I had still wanted to lose more - at least down to 160 or 150 but I just started gaining.  I have gained 50 lb and am afraid of gaining more or all back.  No matter what I do I just can't lose anymore.  Back in March I was part of a clinical trial for the ROSE but it didn't work - my pouch was too small for the instrument to pass thru.  That's my problem - my pouch is fine but my stoma is stretched.  Dr. Cahill only did the RNY back then - now he does the band as well (and says he'll do the DS on extreme patients (having a greater BMI).  One of the doctors I'm looking into for my revision says I should have had the DS not the RNY - anyone w/that high of a BMI should have the DS (my BMI was 58).  I'm not a good candidate for the DS now - and it's too risky to go from RNY to DS for me.  You could go on the DS forum to get a better idea of what it is and if you would be a good candidate or want it.  Good Luck!!  Let me know what happens ok!!  Carolyn 
pam_b
on 8/5/08 12:55 am
Yes Dr. Aldvery is the one. I had a Rny in 95.
Kept it off till 8 months ago. Have gained 91#
seems like over night. Looking for a DS.
 Thanks for the info
Arizonadck
on 8/5/08 1:28 am - Chicago, IL
I had my RNY 5 years ago - lost 170 and have gained 50 back in the past 8 mos.  I'm looking for the ERNY.  Dr. Alverdy does have a very strict program:  after you talk with them they'll have you register on line, go to an informational session, take an on-line psychology test, make appt to see the doctor, nutritionist and phychologist all in one day (a 4-hour appt).  After that, if he feels you're a candidate for a revision and which kind, then you have to go to 3 consecutive monthly appointments with the nutritionist and psychologist (both in the same day each month).  After those 3 months are up then the doctor reviews your records and if still feels you're a good candidate, submits to insurance, etc.  It's tedious but they feel necessary.  I "dropped out" after my 4-hour appt when he told me I could only have the band.  But I liked him very much and like I said he's very prestigious in his field!!  Good Luck - let me know how it all goes!!!
Most Active