Lap Band/after having had gastri bypass!!!

bigred14u
on 7/31/08 10:27 pm - VA
I want too know if anyone out there has had the Lap Band done as a revision after having had gastric by pass surgeory and if you did how do it go...?
tulagirl
on 8/1/08 12:15 pm - Schenectady, NY
I don't have an answer for you, but I am also curious.  I am researching this as an option for me. 
neicey
on 8/1/08 1:11 pm - TOLEDO, OH

I think there was a answer to this post back a few days. I am thinking of having it done also but first I am setting up an appointment to discuss it.

Keep me posted.

Bernice

pepsi98
on 8/1/08 10:15 pm - Norwich, CT
There is a woman who is having it doen within the next few days zena_romy and I am in the proceess of filing an appeal to have this done as I was denied by Anthem.  There are people around that have had it done and are doing well.  I had PM'd  Firemantle I'm not sure when he had it done, but he is doing really well.  I also am very interested in hearing how folks are doing so hopefully there will be further posts!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Binxalways
on 8/2/08 2:48 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hi everyone!  I just had the lap-band placed over my gastric bypass from 2002.  I plan to post on the message boards, but I am still very sore & a little loopy from the pain meds, so I was going to wait another day or so.  I had the band placed on Wed 7/30, but there was a complication with the way my surgeon sutured things, so nothing was passing through.  I went in for a 2nd surgery the following day (7/31), and now things are flowing thru & I am feeling better.  Still sore & out of it, though!  I will post the details on my profile throughout the day & on the lap-band & revision message boards.  Thanks everyone!!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth
neicey
on 8/2/08 12:19 pm - TOLEDO, OH
Thanks Elizabeth, I am axious to hear all the details and the progress. I am making an appointment for a hopefully revision. I am not educated on all the type of revisions but my heart says I want a lap band. I honestly wanted the lap band to begine with but insurance would only pay for the RNY so thats what I got.

Keep me posted
Bernice
mypookface
on 8/3/08 12:58 pm - Bethany, LA
 Hi Elizabeth,

I am glad to know that it is possible to have a revision over a gastric bypass.  I did not think it was possible.  I decided to check out the message board for OH and the 1st thing I saw was Revision!!

I had Roux-Y May 2004 and went from 215 lbs (5'3") down to 130 lbs.  Just recently I started to gain weight again.  I am up about 20 lbs to 150, sometimes I get back down to 145, but I am beginning to feel bad again.  My stomach hurts often from poor digestion.  My job is sitting all the time and I am not big on exercising, and I know that it would help keep the weight off, but I just can't be consistant about it. 

I am anxious to hear how you are doing post-surgery.  What happened to make you to go through this revison?
Take care.

Hettie

bigred14u
on 8/4/08 7:26 am - VA

Well I'm glad too know for sure that it can be done. I had gastric bypass in 2000 as well. I was 305 and got down too 216.In about 13 months i was pregnant.  I have been on the down hill ever since. I"m not back up too 255 and feeling rather depressed. I want the lap band because its  more controling. I think. I can almost choose the amout of weight I loose  by how many fills I get correct me if i'm wrong. I am hoping and praying for the best and that the Dr.and insurance will allow me too do this. I'm like another writer I don't want  too go through another major operation. But I would like too get down too at least 185/190. I will still be considered over weight and if I feel its not too much and I don't have alot of sagging skin I will continue on futher. Keep me posted on how your doing. How long did you have too stay in the hospital? How long will you have too be out of work?

Zena Romy
on 8/2/08 1:23 pm - Canada
Hi,

I am having a lap band put over my gastric bypass (which I had in 2000) on AUG 6th. 

I, too, did a lot of research and chose the lap band because it has the highest long-term success rate so far for gastric bypass revisions.  There are other revisions available, but I chose the lap band because (a) I did not want another major surgery and/or have my insides re-wired yet again, and (b) no other revisions had the long-term success that a lap band over the RNY does.  Funnily enough, a lap band over an RNY is far more successful than either one of them alone!  The lap band had been around in Europe for a LONG time (I believe it was around for about 13 yrs in Europe before it was approved in the USA) so there are plenty of long-term studies to read if you are interested.  Now, when you get gastric bypass in Europe, they automatically put an unfilled band around as they know that the pouch will stretch and can then fill the band to keep the restriction.

Just "google" for a while and you will find all the information you need to make the right choice for you.  Good luck with whatever decision you make.  I will post again after I have had my lap band put on.

All the best,
Zena.

I encourage you to do all your research
robert B.
on 8/5/08 4:18 am - fair lawn, NJ
i had lap band over bypass on june 10 the surgery was apiece of cake
Most Active