ins to cover revision HELP !

Kim E.
on 7/31/08 1:17 pm - VA
all of these revison from lap band to rny stories are very promising !
Please tell me if anyone has BCBS Anthem with the state of virginia and what your story was to get approved!  I am finding it very hard to get anyone from the ins company who knows what they will approve.....
Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

jtrandall
on 8/1/08 4:38 am - TX
I would suggest asking your insurance company for their clinical policy on wieght loss surgery and it should discuss revision requirements.

Jim
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/08 12:59 pm
I have BCBS of michigan, and I am waiting to find out the status of my revision being covered also. My doc office called my cell# late at work, and I was unable to reach them before they closed today. So all weekend long, I have to keep my mind occupied.

Best Wishes!
Shotgunchelle
Cynthia Johnson
on 8/2/08 8:06 am
Hello, does your carrier offer you a website?  If so you maybe able to see and print out the criteria from there.  Here in AZ BCBS has a website and I located the criteria from there.  All the best!!!
Cynthia
barbarabrewer
on 8/5/08 7:12 am - TX
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employees Plan.  They may be a little different.  My Dr sent in the Medical necessity information and they got back a form letter stating that since the lap band procedure is considered an out patient procedure that they do not give pre-certification.  My Dr spoke with the hospital director and they didn't want to chance they would deny me.  I think they did that in the past and the poor patient had to pay.  Anyway, I got a medical loan from Care Credit.  My dr's office gave me the information to file on my own and I will be sending in that information this week.   I hope I get reimbursed.  My doc did my surgery at an out patient surgical center which saved me another $1000.00.  So, the total cost for dr and hospital was $15,000.00

Barbara Brewer
abbysmom
on 8/5/08 9:03 pm
Are you a state employee?  The website is:

http://www.dhrm.state.va.us/hbenefits/cova/covacare.html

you have to cut and paste since I don't know how to make links.

Weight loss surgery is covered for morbid obesity.  My guess is that if you are still morbidly obese, you may be able to get them to cover it.  It has to be considered medically necessary, though.  I would recommend having your pcp or surgeon send in the medical necessity stuff to your insurance to see if they'll approve it.
Most Active