New Member, Info about Revision from RNY to BPD-DS ?

Tabitha70
on 7/31/08 8:27 am
Hello Everyone. I had a RNY in 2000 and at the time I was the first for my surgeon to do a laparoscopic even though I had a lot of weight to lose. My surgeon was hard on me from the beginning, I was doing everything as instructed but losing weight slowly and he didn't seem to believe that I was really trying.  It took awhile and a lot of work but I did lose 100lbs...then it all started coming back. And I needed to lose about 200 to begin with so I was never close to a healthy weight.  For years I've been beating myself up and depressed over this..I felt like such a failure. Just recently my sister mentioned that a lady that she works with just met with a very nice surgeon and was getting the Lap Band. She told me that he had a free seminar coming up and my husband and I decided to go. Well, after the seminar I made an appointment with the surgeon (who seems MUCH nicer than my first surgeon) and had my medical records sent from my other surgery.  The other surgeon had only bypassed 50cm on me even though he assured me that even done laparoscopically that it would be as much as they would on an open patient with the amount of weight I needed to lose. I had even questioned that a few years ago and they were indignant and told me I had the same as everyone which is not true.  But anyway... This new surgeon said depending on my test results (I just had some CT scans, am getting a Fluoroscopy and Endoscopy in August) that I had 2 options, long-limb extending the amount bypassed or the full BPD-DS which would be riskier because of my previous surgery.  I'm afraid of the BPD-DS but it does sound like the most promising.
Sorry for the babbling..I guess I basically want to know about anyone else's experience with revision from RNY surgery to BPD-DS.  I've spent so many years just focusing on the failure and being embarrassed and depressed and now I'm feeling great anxiety about my future.
Thanks in advance!!!
mew6495
on 7/31/08 10:41 am - MI
 Hi Tabitha,  I had an RNY in 2001 and have gained half of my weight back.  I definitely know where you are coming from.  I am currently seeking a revision also.  I did do some research on several different revisions and came down to deciding on a DS or a ERNY.  For myself I chose the ERNY which leaves you with a 50 CM up to 100 CM common channel.  The reason I chose the ERNY was because of the risk associated with taking down the pouch and restructuring it.  Several doctors, as well as information from different web sites tell me it is the shorter common channel that give the DSers the long term success.  The other important thing to me is finding a surgeon with a lot of revision experience.  For this reason I am traveling from MI to AZ to have mine done with Dr. Sclisenger.  He has experience with many different types of revisions and works with you to choose what best suits your needs.  I know there is a DS board as well.  Perhaps you might check that out.  You can probably get a lot of info there.  There are others there who have revised from an RNY to a DS.  There are several ladies on this board who have had the ERNY with good success.  They are very encouraging and inspiring.  Joyce is one of them and Genu(Jenna)  is another.  I specifically look for their post daily!  They are very open, up beat and willing to share their experience and knowledge.  Good luck to you on your research.  I am also glad you stopped blaming yourself!  It is hard enough living with obesity but to be treated so poorly about it is unacceptable!
Arizonadck
on 7/31/08 10:49 am - Chicago, IL
Hi - I'm in Chicago and am looking to go to Dr. Schlesinger for an ERNY as well!  I just had a phone consultation with him on Monday and knew he was the doctor for me!   He was so great to talk to - so nice!  Everyone in his office is great too - Jen, Pearl and Joyce!  After a few more tests Jen will submit it to my insurance - just don't think they'll cover it so I'm already preparing to have to appeal!  You've already been approved, right?  When do you plan on having it done?  Do you know yet where you're staying?  Dr. S. said I would have to stay for 2 weeks - you too?  My mom and sister will be traveling with me so I want to find an area where they can go and out do some things the first week.  And the 2nd week I'll be up and about much better so want to be in an area for walking, sightseeing, shopping, day tours.  I love AZ.  Have you ironed out all the travel details?  Are you driving?  I will fly there but take the train back - can't fly for 4 weeks.  So anxious!  Have you been to AZ to meet Dr. S in person for your consultation or did you do it over the phone as well?  Thanks!  Carolyn 
mew6495
on 8/1/08 8:59 am - MI
 Hi Carolyn,

I agree, everyone I have dealt with at Dr. S's office has been wonderful.  That is one thing that helped me decide who to go with.  I have not been approved yet.....It has been almost 7 weeks since Jen submitted.  The request finally showed up in the system at my insurance location 3 days ago!  So they sat on it for 6 weeks and now are saying it will probably take 4 weeks for the decision!  They claimed ignorance when I questioned the length of time they sat on it for.  I don't expect I will get the approval but all I can do at this point is wait and see.  This is the last thing I need before a date can be scheduled.  I don't know where I am staying yet.  I was told that Jen or someone in the office could probably give me some recommendations once I can set my date.  Dr. S said If I fly he can not  release for a min of 10 days.  If I drive then he can release me probably around 5 to 7 days depending on how I am doing.  My husband and I will more then likely drive.  I have not met Dr. S in person yet.  I have had the phone consult and I have e-mailed back and forth several times with further questions.  They agreed to let me come in for my initial consult at time of surgery if I come 2 days ahead of the scheduled procedure for the initial face to face consult and for pre testing.  Good luck to you.  Let me know how you make out.
Arizonadck
on 8/2/08 9:20 am - Chicago, IL
I can't believe they sat on it for 6 weeks and now saying it will take 4 weeks to make the decision!  That's just so unfair - making you wait - and so unnecessary!!!  Jen hasn't submitted mine yet - she will in about a week or 2.  Dr. S. had told me I couldn't fly for 4 weeks and I had to stay in AZ for 2 weeks (and still not fly home - so I guess I'll take the train).  It has been a great experience dealing with Dr. S and his office - I can't believe how calming they all are and so nice!  Good Luck to you!!  Let us know as soon as you hear from your insurance!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!
ginau
on 7/31/08 11:10 am - mesa, AZ

Hi Tabitha

I am a  revision patient of Dr Schlesingers, My surgery was done May 7th, I am currently down 40 lbs, I have a common channel of 75 cm.  Doc did not touch my pouch - its already small - just empty's fast ..   The risk was not worth altering the pouch ! the key is the Mal  aborption,   You are going to have a decission to make ,,,  just research and find out everything you can about it ,

I also suggest you go back and read Dr Schlesingers  A,B,C'S  of revision - yes it is his opinion - BUT  he has done many procedures and based on his  results  he is giving open honest info to help you decide.. you can even P.M. him if you like,   

SheriAZ
on 7/31/08 11:30 am
Hello and boy does this sound like me. I too have just had my first consult with Dr. S in Phoenix and am very excited about a revision. I am in the process of having all of my tests done. I had the sleep study done last night and I guess my husband doesn't lie, I do snore. I had the RNY 7 years ago and lost 90 lbs...10 lbs. a month and then stopped. I started at 316 and stopped at 224 and slowly re-gained it all. I was so depressed and just assumed it was all my fault. Until I found this site and found Dr. Schlesinger's site, he is a wonder by the way. Joyce and Gina have been so helpful and supportive. First of all SMILE you have friends and lots of company. I start my day checking the latest postings and end my day the same way. I feel better just knowing that I did my best and it wasn't enough. I didn't fail. My surgery just wasn't right for me. I have so much hope now and believe me I didn't for the longest time. I would see people who I hadn't seen in awhile and the first thing I would do was apologize because they knew I had the surgery and it didn't take much to see that I was once again fat. Well I am not apologizing any more, I am doing something. You will get there and you will get that revision and so will I. Now don't we both feel so much better ???  
Sheri in Arizona
Frozen_Peach
on 7/31/08 12:05 pm
We have several RNY to DS revisions that post on the DS board
c'mon over and ask questions there!

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

ginau
on 7/31/08 1:01 pm - mesa, AZ
Love the D.S board - they tell it like it is.  - I admit to being a lurker ...
Frozen_Peach
on 7/31/08 1:03 pm
I agree -  :)

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

Most Active