RECOVERY FROM LAP BAND OVER RNY

Zena Romy
on 7/28/08 10:57 am - Canada
If anybody has had a lap band over their RNY, please can you write in. 

I would like to know what the recovery was like for you.  Owing to the fact that you had prior surgery with the RNY, was the lap band recovery more difficult than usual?

I am gettting a lap band over my RNY on Aug 6th, but will be travelling across the country and back alone.  I have been assured that the lap band surgery is minor compared to my RNY - I sure as hell hope they are right!

I'd like to hear about your experience if you had a lap band over your RNY.

thanks!
catherine T.
on 7/28/08 7:02 pm - lindenhurst, ny
Hello Zena, I had the band over RNY on 1/24/08. I found the recovery to be easier then the RNY. I was not as tired or as sore. The only discomfort I had was at the port site and that was mostly while sleeping. I sleep on the right and that is where my port is. The loss has been slow but I am losing. I am down 37 lbs. I feel that since my last adjustment 1 week ago I am at a good level of restiction. I am comfortable and still able to eat a variety of foods. You must be careful while travelling alone because you are not to lift or carry anything over 10 pounds. This is because of the port. Scar tissue needs to form. You do not want to pull the stitches and have the port flip. Have a skycap help you. If you have any other question s feel free to contact me. Good luck. Cathy
barbarabrewer
on 7/29/08 4:43 am - TX
I had lap band overy RNY on 6/19/08.  I think everyone tolerates  pain differently.  I had the 5 small incisions the port incision was the largest.  I was on liquid pain meds for a week.  Due to prior surgeries I had scare tissue that he had to work through.  That could be why I was in more discomfort.  But by the 10 day I was ready to go back to work.

I went into the OR at 830a and I was discharged from the surgical day center @ 1p and in my own bed by 2p.  I was out of work for two weeks.  Dr wouldn't let me go back to wor****il he had seen me at the 2 week check up.

Barbara Brewer
RNY 5/20/03
Lap Band Revision 6/19/08
Zena Romy
on 7/29/08 3:59 am - Canada
Thank you so much for writing in.  I'm glad to hear that it has worked for you.  I think my problem was that, over time, I lost the restriction from the RNY.  I am hoping that the lap band will help me to get it back and maintain it.

I'm also relieved to hear that the recovery is okay.  Thanks also for the warning about 10 lbs.  I will be sure to get help.

If  you don't mind, I'lve love to hear how things keep going for you.  I'll let you know how my journey turns out, too!

All the best,
Zena
pepsi98
on 7/29/08 6:41 am - Norwich, CT
I also want to raise my voice because I am trying to overturn Anthem's denial of lapband over my old stapling.  Does anyone know if there is a BMI requirement?  Can anyone be "too big" for them to approve?  I am filing my appeal with ObesityLaw and hope and pray that they can make BC/BS do the right thing.  Please keep all informed!!!     Thanks!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Azskyprincess
on 8/1/08 6:59 pm - CA
Revision on 01/30/12
I did great NO pain at first ...went to parents house after leaving hospital but got on a plane te next day to get home I choose RNY I never wanted to have a way to cheat,,and I was back to work in 17 days ( I am a flight attendant) Lisa
robert B.
on 8/5/08 4:25 am - fair lawn, NJ
lap over rny 6/10/08 lap band is a lot easier to recover than the bypass but have to work harder to loose weight
Zena Romy
on 8/8/08 10:45 am - Canada
Hi everybody,

Thanks for your posts.  I had my lap band over my rny on Weds.  Am now at home.  Feeling great, but tired.

Will keep you posted.  Thanks for the support!

Zena
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/08 1:04 pm, edited 10/1/08 1:05 pm - Togo
I am also considering a lap band over a r n y I had done about 12 years ago.

as i read these posts i repeatedly see people state they are losing, but very slowly.

i wanted to ask : is anyone dieting along with their wls? is anyone swimming, jogging. anything. in addition to the surgery? 

I anyone following a diet like counting calories, etc?

and i'd be interested to know how much has been lost and in what amount of time.
Most Active