Enlarged stoma & weight maintenance question

cdharr
on 7/28/08 12:49 pm - Hephzibah, GA
I have the opportunity to have a revision if I want to, but I THINK I’ve decided against it though. Here’s my story:   At 371 pounds, I had a proximal RNY in 2003. I lost 160 pounds and maintained that loss until about 1 year ago, and then I gained 20 pounds. I had an EGD done and found that I have a “short fat pouch” and a 4cm stoma. I went back to the basics and dropped the 20 pounds I gained, so I am now back down to my lowest post-op weight.  I’ve actually gone a couple of pounds under where I was. I really had reverted to some bad eating habits. So, since I currently weigh 208 pounds (I’m 5’ 8 ½”) and have a mechanical issue I have the opportunity to address it surgically. Clearly, there are some serious medical risks involved with revisions, so I don't want to do it simply because I can.  KWIM?   My question is this: Is there anyone out there that has an enlarged stoma that has been able to manage long-term maintenance of his or her initial weight loss without surgical intervention? Am I being naive to think it is not necessarily a “weight gain sentence” to have an enlarged stoma? I would appreciate hearing your experiences.   Thanks! CJ H
BeckyM
on 7/29/08 2:37 am - Up North, WI
My Dr. has me set up for  a scope Aug. 8 due to fear that I MAY have an enlarged stoma.  I've gained 32 lbs in one year from my lowest weight of 135 and I am 3 yrs out.  If I DO have an enlarged stoma I  they will do a procedure called sclerotherapy where they inject a solution into the stoma which causes it to produce scar tissue which makes your opening smaller. This procedure may have to be done a few times depending on the size of your opening. It is done as an outpatient. They go down your throat through a scope and inject the solution.  Your on a liquid diet for 3 days after and soft food diet for 2 weeks after.  I feel like I am able to eat much more than I used to and I am hungry ALL THE TIME!    So . . .You may not need surgical intervention if this is a option for u.  Good luck!
Becky

Becky
 5 ft 9 in 288/160/140 -148 Below goal

"If you don't like who you are and where you are, don't worry about it because you're not stuck either with who you are or where you are. you can grow. You can change .You can be more than you are. "
Zig Ziglar

cdharr
on 7/29/08 9:05 am - Hephzibah, GA
Thanks Becky, unfortunately that's not an option available to me.  :-(

Cj H
cayita63
on 7/30/08 10:49 am - Ft Lauderdale, FL
Becky i am in ur boat i gain almost 40 pounds in less than a year from 130..i feel lost keep me post, tomorrow i have my pre surgery for an exploratory surgery..i have no idea until tomorrow
claudia
jeris
on 7/29/08 2:58 pm - Austin, TX
I'm in the same boat you are in.  I could have the Stomaphyx, but it's considered 'experimental' and not covered by insurance.  OR, I could go be a newbie again, do the six month diet history and have a revision.  Will see what happens in the next six months.  I've got a LOT going on.

Jeri in Dallas
cdharr
on 7/29/08 10:29 pm - Hephzibah, GA
My doc now won’t do the StomaPhyx because he said it is not without risk and I have nothing to indicate that there is a reason to take a risk of any kind. I’m not sure how I feel about that. But….he will be leaving in a few months and I will have an opportunity to consult with a different doc if I want to. I’m just not sure if it’s worth having another procedure or not.   Carla
jonathan R.
on 8/20/08 11:48 am - east meadow, ny
 You should look into the restore procedure which decreases the stoma through the mouth.  I just saw my surgeon Dr. garber in NY who is doing the procedure.  It sounds like it has minimal risk and can be the answer for me and maybe for you as well.  Look into this.
tulagirl
on 8/20/08 12:03 pm - Schenectady, NY
I just had an EGD yesterday and the report says that the stoma is larger than it should be at this point after surgery.  I am 6 years out.  Started at 349 lost down to 213 and now am almost 300 again.  I have a follow up on September 4,  but I too have wondered this myself.  Will I be able to lose the excess weight without surgery.  Is this a "sentence" I have to live with.
Most Active