HELP!!!!

Stellanet
on 7/28/08 1:24 am - Silex, MO

I posted about a week and a half ago about gaining 40 lbs in 13 months.  I had a endoscopy and a Upper GI Study done last Tuesday.  They said that the Jejunum wall was thickened and that the Jejunum was dilated.  What does this have to do with me gaining weight if anything?  I leave today at 2:30pm CST.  If anyone out there can give me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Desperate Sheila

mew6495
on 7/28/08 9:39 am - MI
 I am not sure what the Jejunum has to do with gaining weight.  But I am just over 7 years out and have gained about 50 lbs back.  Enough so that I am seeking a revision.   I am finding out that it is not uncommon for an RNYer to gain weight after a period of time.  Your pouch and stoma tend to stretch and your bypassed intestine has the ability to compensate for some of the bypass by adjusting and gaining the ability to absorb a bit more then when you were a newby.  Some of this they are just finding out as more patients become long term.  The surgery was meant as a tool vs a fix all and I guess their expectations were that people would use the tool to gain control over the emotional and unnecessary eating.  Obviously, didn't work in my case.  Some WLS has better results then others but all are susceptible to some weight gain if you do not adhere to the life change to keep the weight off over the very long term.  I know this does not answer your specific questions but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!  Best of luck to you and I hope your issue is easily resolved.
pepsi98
on 7/28/08 10:01 am - Norwich, CT
I believe that a dilated jejunum can serve as an "extra pouch" in a manner of speaking.  I have the same thing...it's almost as if the food leaves the pouch quickly and then goes into the "extra pouch" aka jejunum and you can eat more food.   I've gained back all my weight from my 1982 gastric stapling.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

cindymo
on 7/28/08 11:00 am - Ellsinore, MO
I have finaly found someone else who has the same complaints as I do
In November I will be 8 yrs post op and have gained 40 pounds back
From the very first day of surgery when I drank anything you would feel intense burning about 2-3" below my belly button
I have always felt something wasn't right
My doctor sent me a letter post op day 8 stating he was no longer practicing medicine
Therefore have never seen a doctor since gastric tube removed on day 6
I felt very abandoned
Couple of yrs later a fertility doctor in St.Louis told me to consider the surgery a failure and don't be using the protein shakes or the chewable vitamins
I know something had be done or I wouldn't have lost the first 90 pounds but I have never felt the so called tool they gave me
No chest pain or back pain that I have read about  no diarrhea NO NOTHING
Sorry to keep going on but this is the first documentation I have found close to my concerns
Thanks
Cindy
Most Active