Had EROS (ROSE) Procedure Yesterday!!!

nan c
on 7/26/08 2:08 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Everyone!

Yesterday I had the EROS (ROSE) Procedure. I found out about the program and met the surgeon one-year ago. I had all the tests and then the project was put on hold. Just at the point in which I was giving up that I would ever hear from them, I received a call and was told the project was back on!!! Then it took several months to get the surgeon and the assistant surgeon to have an opening on the same day. Well it's finally over. The plan was for me to stay overnight, but right after surgery the surgical team decided I could go home. The anesthesia has made me tired, and I have the WORST sore throat, but otherwise I'm fine. Not really hungry or thirsty yet, but I've forced myself to drink. The doctor was able to put 3 clips in my pouch and 6 in my stoma, the length of my pouch went from 2 1/2 cm to 1 1/4 cm.

Nan C
getinther
on 7/26/08 9:40 pm - AL

Congratulations and good luck!  Take care of yourself!

nan c
on 7/27/08 8:54 am - Brooklyn, NY
Thank you so much  

Nan C
Jennifer W.
on 7/28/08 12:59 am - Kimberly, OR
Nan,

Congratulations on getting the ROSE. I read your profile and couldn't find out why you needed the procedure. I am 8 mos post op RNY from a surgery in Mexico. At first I had restriction, only 100 cm bypassed. But now, I can eat ALOT and be hungry again in an  hour with an empty stomache. 

What is Rose? How is it different from Stomaphx?

Just looking for information

Jen 

nan c
on 7/28/08 9:43 am - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Jen,

I really need to update my profile. Sorry about that.

I started weight at 343 lbs. and in 18-months managed to get down to 209-lbs and everything just stopped. I was disappointed, I wanted to see life in the under 200-lb range. Then in the next 18-months my weight crept up to 225-lbs. There were times I noticed my meals were big, but then other times they were small. On the days the meals were small, I seemed to be snacking all day - popcorn, fruit, cheese. I was a bit confused about the way my apetite was going, and somewhat shamed to tell my doctor, I felt as if I was doing something wrong - maybe I should drink more, exercise more, etc.

My original surgeon was one of the first to do stomaphyx in NY. When he started doing it, he called all his 1-yr post-op patients who were not satisified with their loss, or who had started to regain. He did an upper endoscopy May 2007 and found that both my pouch and stoma were stretched. They submitted it to my medical insurance company and they rejected it. A lot of insurance companies and NOT paying for Stomaphyx. 

With Stomaphyx the doctor puts clips, in the pouch which makes sort of pleats and makes the pouch smaller. This is deceiving, the name implies that it works on the stoma.

ROSE Procedure puts clips in the pouch AND on the stoma. The stoma is opening at the bottom of the pouch. If the stoma is made smaller, then food stays in the pouch longer, so you eat less. ROSE stands for Revision Obesity Surgery Endo??? (can't think of the word right now, means they go in through the mouth).

Well, about a year ago I was on the revision board and I too asked someone about the ROSE procedure and they gave me information about it. They gave me the name and telephone number of the hospital that was doing the clinical trials, and since I lived in the same city...I called. At first it didn't look as though they would accept me, because I didn't put on enough weight; but, I never got down to a reasonable goal weight so they agreed to take me. 

I began meeting with the dietian and have the tests in July 2007. By December 2007 the project was put on hold. The medical company was in the process of perfecting the instruments because they were discovering that not everyone's pouches were shaped the same (some were long, others wide). At the point in which I was totally giving up, I got the  call and was told the project was back on. Then it took about 2-months for the surgeon and the assistant surgeon to have the same date free. Then FINALLY I was able to have it on Friday, July 25, 2008. By doing the procedure through the mouth, I was able to go back to work today, with nothing more than a sore throat.

I'll have a month of pureed food, like post-op of the original RNY. I've heard that people only lose between 20 to 40 lbs after either procedure. If I really follow the rules, maybe I can take my 'second chance' and get to the under-200-lbs range.

Good luck in your quest.

Nan C
smile750
on 8/4/08 6:58 am - Bridgewater, NJ
Hi Nan C,

Just wanted to followup with you - as a fellow ROSE person.  I had my surgery on July 8 and lost 15 lbs the first week and a 1/2 on the liquids.  As soon as the 3 week mark hit and I was eating soft foods, my weight loss stalled and I even gained a lb or 2 because I realized I was starting already with some of my old habits of grazing with chips/pretzels, etc...  While I do feel restriction when I sit down and eat the protein first (in my case something like chicken) that I chew over and over before I swallow and then follow with healthy veggies or good carbs (like sweet potato), it's the times when I snack on chips or pretzels or the small bits of chocolate, white bread, etc... that turn me to the dark side.  Constant grazing of that stuff is truly the devil for me.  While I haven't been able to make peace with a little of that stuff once and while which is where I want to be, I find that when I really concentrate on getting in the healthy proteins (lean chicken, pork, etc..) eating good for you foods and the sometimes dreaded exercise....that's what works at the end of the day.  

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I do feel restriction, if I eat the crappy stuff it won't make much difference.  I think that the malabsorption that I had after the original RNY is not as effective if at all - because it doesn't take much for the weight loss to slow down.

Just some thoughts and observations.

Jen
nan c
on 8/4/08 9:31 am - Brooklyn, NY
Hi Jen,

I lost 9-lbs my first week (Friday) and it's been staying the same since Friday. I've become obsessed with the scale and weigh myself everyday, like I did when I first had the bypass surgery back in 2005.

I've noticed that I can eat about 4-oz of protein at a meal. I thought - this is a lot after a revision, and it makes me a little nervous. I was beginning to believe I have no restriction, but then I noticed - I haven't been grazing. You see - I too was grazing on chips and pretzels between meals, before the revision. I know what it means to be addicted to carbs. I do notice that although I'm eating a 4-oz meal, I'm not eating between meals - so far. I pray that the urge doesn't return. Maybe if I stay off the carbs long enough, I can beat them - when I gave birth to my last child, I went the 9-months with no ciggarettes and then breast fed him for 9-months - so after 18-months without smoking, I never went back to it and it's been 18-years! I can keep away from cigarettes, but to totally avoid carbs would be impossible, maybe if I could just avoid snacking on carbs, that would do it.

They're right when they say that WLS is only a tool. I guess I still have to watch what I eat, even after surgery. Come to think about it - did you ever watch the way skinny people eat? They don't finish everything on their plates and when they have a big event coming up, they eat salads (or eat like a bird) right before and after, so they can have what they want at the event.

Thanks for your input, it helps keep me sane and grounded. Sometimes I can feel alone and know know if what I feel or go though is normal or not.

Tell me - how have you done, as far as losing weight, since the first week? When you've caught yourself snacking, did you notice if you were eating from hunger or habit? I'm terrified and trying to prepare myself for when my time comes.

Nan C
smile750
on 8/4/08 12:56 pm - Bridgewater, NJ
Well - last Wednesday, after a week of not so good choices with eating, and the looming thought of going to my one month post op appt and wanting to be down as much as I can, I started to eat correctly again.  Do I get hungry between meals? Yes.  Do I want to have chips and pretzels and cheetos especially when they're in my hands and giving them to my kids (3 and 22 months)? Yes.  But I fought the urge, drank a bunch of liquid (sugar free grape koolaid mixed with isopure protein drink) and waited until it was time for the next meal.  It's such a struggle sometimes as it has been for my whole life - though I thought that this battle was over after my first year after surgery.  I could basically eat anything I wanted (small bits) and I still lost weight.  What happened to me?  Well, probably the same thing that happened to a lot of people.  You start with one chip.  Then a small cookie.  You realize how much sugar you can tolerate at one time and how much time needs to pass by before you have another one.  You start eating fast food again little by little.  At first after the surgery it was tough to have a couple of chicken nuggets.  Next thing you know you're able to eat 6 or maybe 9.  Add some fries too.  While I avoided soda for a good couple of years, I started down that road again (I drank diet though).  While I still couldn't consume big quantities, I found that I was eating more often after my pouch would empty.  I started to drink with my meals.  All of those rules that they tell you about.... well they just start to become distant memories and next thing you know you're back to that feeling of disgust and all of your new clothes don't fit anymore and you have to start buying all of the bigger stuff again - ashamed.  All that stuff like you said about it being a tool - it is just that.  YOU have to make the good choices just like any other diet you go on.  You just have a little more going for you because you get full faster and can't eat a tremendous amount that could counter act the reason you're eating healthy to begin with.  I kind of find myself talking to myself alot - today, I thought I'd stop at Taco Bell and get a plain taco - just talked myself out of it, and detoured to the staff dining hall at work and made myself a small salad with chicken and some veggies.  I'm terrified of getting on the scale for that skinny nutritionist at the surgeon's office.  I feel so silly talking to her -

I heard a great quote once.  "If you really want to know what diet works, ask a fat person".  It's so true.  I don't think there is anything that the nutritionist could tell me or ask me that I don't know already.  What it comes down to is your HEAD!  It really does a number on you.  Whoever thought I could fantasize about eating a Dunkin munchkin.  I've probably had thousands of them throughout my life - they're nothing that great, but it's interesting how at a particular moment it's all you can think about - that one food item that you just have to have and 5 minutes after or even during the time your eating it you think why did i just eat that and the cycle continues. 

My expectations before the ROSE procedure were that it would put me back on track - I think my expectations were high though I believe I have put myself back on track at least for time being.  I just have to stay in this zone and try to figure out once and for all what goes on mentally that I seem to revert to the same old thing. 

I think the people that have enjoyed long term success from WLS no matter what kind are the ones that have figured out the mental part.  It's what I'm striving to do.

Sorry for the long monologue - just wanted to get off my chest -

Jen
Lisa_D1020
on 8/6/08 3:14 am
I just had the ROSE done a week ago and you took the words right out of my mouth!  I am feeling exactly the same way as you.  I thought I would feel full like I did after the original RNY (2/05).  Not so....I am really trying hard to take advantage of this second chance but it is clear that it is going to be a lot of hard work.  But, I think I should have known that there is no such thing as a magic cure, only tools to help you along the way.  I do feel blessed to have this opportunity and hope that I can take advantage of it.  I would love to continue to hear how you are doing.

Thanks for being so open about your experience.

Lisa
Most Active