Approved For Revision

AphY Girl
on 7/28/08 9:02 pm
Did you contact Dr Overcash in FL?  He does revisions and I think takes patients who were originally not his.  good luck and know that you are NOT a failure.  RNY may not have been the right surgery for you... that is how I feel.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 9:51 pm - Orlando, FL
Yes she did seek help from Dr. Overcash.  I'm her sister.  Anywho, if you wish to know how she was treated, go to the FL board.  I posted last night about it. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 9:05 am, edited 7/29/08 9:06 am - Brunswick, ME
Annette,

I am so sorry that you were treated so poorly.  That is completely unacceptable.  I have heard much discussion about Dr. Overcash in FL as well.  I do believe that he does revisions to procedures done by other surgeons.

The first thing I did is send Dr. Schlesinger an e-mail spelling out my past, present, and what I was looking for in a revision.  I told him I was very serious about traveling to Phoenix and doing what needed to be done to make it happen.  I heard back from him directly within 24 hours.  He told me he was quite sure he could help me achieve my goals and laid out a few possible options.  We e-mailed back and forth a few times.  I had one brief phone conversation with him and he asked me to fax him the operative report from my DS.  Once he had a chance to go over the op report, I called and made an appointment for a phone consultation with him.  After speaking to him at length,  I decided to proceed and flew out to Phoenix for an in person consultation and psych evaluation with one of the therapists they use.  All of this happened within a month of my first e-mail to him!!!!

One of the reasons I went with Dr. S is because he perfoms many of the standard WLS procedures and tailors revisions based on what is best for each individual patient.  I told him that I absolutely did not want a revision to a Lap-Band.  He said okay, here are your other options.  He is very caring and wants his patients to succeed.  He treated me with the utmost respect and compassion.  Jen, his bariatric coordinator, is fabulous as well.

Send Dr. S an e-mail to the adress listed on his site.  I think it's definitely worthwhile for you to contact him.  Try speaking with Dr. Overcash as well.  See if what he can offer is what you are looking for.  Let me know if you have any more questions or need more info. 

All the best to you in your journey. Please don't let that doctor's ignorant comments discourage you or get you down.

Take care,

Angie
mew6495
on 7/29/08 9:35 am - MI

Hi Annette,

I too am seeking a revision with Dr. Sclisenger and I live in Michigan.  I had much the same experience as Angie.  The only 2 differences is that I did not start off by e-mailing him.  I called his office to get some initial information and explained to them what I wanted.  They set up a phone conference with Dr. S for me and it was only one week later that I was able to have the conference with him.  I then sent in my Operation report from my original RNY, results from an upper GI and I had a psych eval done locally in MI and sent in the report to Jen.  I am in the process of getting insurance approval.  Jen is working with me on this.  I did not have to fly to see him in person 1st.  Once I get my ins approval I will set a surgery date.  The only difference they are asking me to show up 2 days ahead of the surgery date to have my initial visit and to do my pre op testing.  This way it cuts down on travel costs for me.  They are very accomodating and I like his style and method.  I have contacted him several times by e-mail and he has always responded quickly answering my many questions.  He let me know that if I fly out, I will have to stay in the area for a min of 10 days before he will release me.  If I drive he said he can probably release me in 5 to 7 days.  I think it has to do with flying and being up in the air, creates internal pressure.  He is a great Dr and I only wish he was in MI!  He is a huge believer in after care!  I asked how he does this for his patients who are out of state.  He does it through e-mail and phone and makes himself available to your needs.  I am choosing to go with the ERNY so he said he will need labs every 3 months for the first year or two and if I am under control we can start cutting down on that.  Good luck to you on your journey.

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/08 10:45 pm - Brunswick, ME
Wow, you didn't have to fly out to meet Dr. S?  I am assuming that this requirement varies between insurance companies?!  I hope that's the reason because it was 115 degrees in Phoenix when I was there.  As a Northener, it was brutal, dry heat or not.

Angie
mew6495
on 7/30/08 10:49 am - MI
 No, at least not as of yet....but then again I have heard nothing back from my insurance yet.!  They never even asked.  Maybe they just assumed since Dr. S office put in the request that I must have gone and seen him????  My plan allows me to choose my own doctors so perhaps that is part of it.  I called on several different occasions inquiring what the requirements were for revision with him.  I let them know he was out of state.  They never even listed that as part of the requirement.  So I am keeping my fingers crossed.  
Most Active