So tell me... What do you know about long term lap-band success??

stina1979
on 7/24/08 10:42 pm - OH
I'm considering a revision - lap-band over RNY?  I had GREAT sucess w/ my RNY in 2001, but it came back with attitude.  Lastly, do you think that an original lap-band would provide the same results as a revision to lap-band?  Us RNY'er already have the malobsorbtion issues - so that wouldn't change.
Kristina
pepsi98
on 7/25/08 6:29 am - Norwich, CT
I had an old gastric stapling  back in 1982 and I am waiting for my medical records to file an appeal as I was denied by BC/BS for a lap band over my old bypass.  I have  heard that there has been  very  good success with this in Europe so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can have this done too.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

darnell239
on 7/25/08 8:54 am - Columbia, SC
I checked in this options months ago and some of the things I found out is weight loss is much slower and that sometimes the results are not so good because we already have a small pouch.  However, I'm sure that there are people who have had good results.
Zena Romy
on 7/25/08 2:23 pm - Canada
I am getting a lap band over my rny on Aug 6th.  I chose to do this because, according the the research, it igves the best long-term results for people who have had an RNY and then had weight regain.  The Lap band alone is NOT the same as lap band over RNY.  We already have small pouches (that have stretched) and we have lost he restriction.  The lap band allows us to regain our restriction again and adjust accordingly to keep the restriction.  If our pouches hadn't stretched, we would not have lost the restriction in the first place.

In Europe now, they automatically put a lap band over the RNY during RNY surgery, because they know that the pouch will stretch and the restriction will be lost.  When this happens, they begin to fill the lap band to maintain the restriction.  As a result, most RNY surgeries in Europe do NOT result in weight regain.

My surgeon who will be performing my lap band surgery, Dr. Patrick Yau, of the Toronto Lap Band Center, says that he has had "tremendous long term success" with the lap band over the RNY.

I encourage you to do your research and I wish you luck with your decision.  I will keep you posted on how it goes for me!

All the best,
Zena
KRWaters
on 7/25/08 10:38 pm - Manteca, CA

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

keenergel
on 7/27/08 10:36 pm - OH
I had a VBG (the old fillable lap band) 12 years ago.  I just underwent a VSG due to gaining back all of the weight with friends.  I know no one who truly has had long term sucess with banding.  And yes I have more that one friend who went that route too.  I most heartily advise against it.  Revision is a much tougher process than the first time around.  Our bodies love holding on to that weight. Your best choice for "easy" and permanent weight loss may be a DS.  Check out their board.

Most Active