How do u know if u qualify for a revision?

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/08 11:34 am - Elizabethtown, KY
Hello everyone. I'm currently awaiting the scope test and a edg ( the one where they make u swallow that white crap) and then we'll see.  All my troubles started with a injury from a car accident.  No docs in my hometown know anything about bariatrics.   When we had our car accident I was seeing my pcp, chiro, physical therapist, etc. I didn't think to see my bariatric surgeon because I thought all that was ok.  Well my pcp and chiro put me on Ibprophen and I took it, motrin, or some sort of nsaid every day more than once a day for over 3 months. I have some acid reflux issues now and I've gained over 60 pounds.  My bariatric surgeon says he will see me if I "insist" upon it for this and those were his words, kind of ticked me off.  There are no docs in Etown that handle bariatric patients.  If it turns out I do need a revision after the scope and edg (that might be the wrong initals) then I'd like to turn to the DS. My health insurance has changed in the years since my open rny gbs in March 24, 2005.  Anthem Blue Access PPO is who I have now and their seeming pretty positive on the revisions and me getting approved.  How do u know if u qualify?  Did anyone else have the problems I'm having? 
Thanks
Angela
neicey
on 7/24/08 2:31 pm - TOLEDO, OH
I am waiting on the doctors office to call me with an appointment. I had much of the same issues. I had open RNY in 2005 and last year I took a cold medicine that caused a ulcer and I had the reflux as a result and had to be hospitalized. 
I have been gaining some weight since then 25 lbs and have thought I was huge failure. I finally decide to call my bariatric surgeon and he has retired so I got a referral to one closer to me that does revisions. I had called a surgeon in town about a revision and his staff asked me a few questions over the phone and then said there is nothing they can do for me so I gave up but recently decided I'd call the original surgeon so I am waiting to at least get an appintment this time to at least get a proper evaluation before telling me NO.  Kepp in mind I never lost all my weight to begin with, I only lost 78 lbs and have regained 25 and lost 12 of that. So I never came close to goal weight which makes me feel like a double loser.
I think if I do qualify and insurance covers it I want the lapband but I'll wait to even see what the doctor says or even if I get an appointment.

Keep me posted, I'm very interested.

Bernice
KCameron
on 7/24/08 5:58 pm - Radcliff, KY
This is sort of off topic, but since I am considering seeing Dr. Shina for a second opinion on a revision I thought I would ask. It is him that "blew you off"? My original surgeon didn't have any problem with my returning with horrible reflux issues and problems. It's just I want to be sure of what I need to have done. This may change my mind about seeing Dr. Shina. Dr. Geller does revisions, not sure which ones, he is also in Louisville.
Good luck with your approval.
Thanks,
Kim
michele W.
on 7/27/08 11:41 pm - eatontown, NJ

Hi Angela,
I just had an endoscopy (something) where the measure my pouch and stoma, and found out I am not   a "good candidate" for the ROSE revision I was interested in. Very disappointed!! I wish you the best and hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Good luck to you and keep us posted  on your journey
Michele

Most Active