Anyone had a LAPBAND and have revision to......

lapoli7
on 7/23/08 3:17 pm - Rialto, CA

I am fairly new to OH and was wondering if there is anyone that has had a failed lapband??
I am currently in the motions to try and get apporived for the Rouex-en-Y through my insurance.

I have had my band about 3 yrs and I am basically where I started at. I found out through
and information session provided by my insurance that the band isn't typically done on
people over 300lbs....well I was 395lbs and I currently weigh 411lbs. It was like a nightmare!
I would lose weight when I was on the liquid portion, but once I could eat normal food it stopped. Then I had some complications with swelling of the esophogus (i think i spelled that right) a few times. I am hoping there is someone here that has had a revision surgery of this nature....

Thanks for any information or advice!

Liz
Kaiser So Cal
Surgery- revision from LapBAND to RNY 11/28/08
Starting BMI 61.3
Current BMI 46.6
415 lbs  / 403 lbs / 316 lbs  /220 lbs
highest / surgery / current  /   goal

I love Chocolate
on 7/23/08 8:31 pm - Labrador, Australia
Hi,

I had lapband in 2000 at 153kgs lost 60kgs and then regained 30kgs, I was revised to DS in August 2004 and it was the best thing I could have done. I can't help you with info on the RNY, but please don't forget to check out the DS.

Best wishes in your research

Lesley
PekinSal
on 7/23/08 9:01 pm - UK
Ditto - if its any consolation I had the band for 2.5 years and lost about 30lbs in all that time. I know lots of people do well with it (my DH is one of them) but it didnt work for us; time to move on!

If you have a high BMI you might be better getting the DS - it has a higher percentage average weight loss than RNY (by about 10%), which can make quite a difference if you have a lot to lose in the beginning. You're going from one end of the WLS surgery spectrum to the other, but after being rubbish at the first attempt I wanted something that I'd never have to revise again...

Make sure you get a good revision surgeon though, because we aren't 'virgin' surgeries and it can be a bit more difficult to change us to something else - come over to the DS board if you need more info about insurance or anything else

DS revision from failed lapband

Ms TJ P.
on 7/23/08 9:26 pm - VA
Hi, I just had my revision from lap band to RNY last Thursday. I can understand your frustrations with the band, I only lost 35lbs and gained it back by the end of it, my band slipped. Before we discovered the band had slipped I had a very hard time getting the insurance to approve me, they definetely want proof that there's something wrong with the band before they will pay for anything. I hoped this helps a little.

Tonya
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/08 1:54 pm
Congratulations on your approval and surgery!  I have just started the process from band to sleeve or DS. I have BCBS insurance. What insurance did you have? I am waiting to find out what I will need to do to get my band removed. I got banded last June 26th. Lost about 36 pds, but started stalled during the 7th month, got a fill and started voimting alot. Got unfilled and gained it all back. I had to forgive myself for getting this band! It isn't all that for some people. Now I must go through the revision process or do self pay.
Anyway I wish you a speedy recovery and much sucess!

shotgunchelle
adperez
on 7/24/08 12:34 am - NJ
I was banded 9/05 and lost 55lbs and was very happy with the band  until it had to be removed 4/08 due to erosion. I decided to do RNY and was just approved yesterday for the RNY on 8/18/08. 

Good Luck
fortworthgal
on 7/24/08 1:52 am - Fort Worth , TX
I have had a band since 2004 and am getting a revision to RNY on Aug 1. I was able to lose 40 lbs with the band but that will happen when you throw up all the time. But with all the problems I had, I gained it all back and what really sucks for me was I paid out of pocket for the surgery and fills. I am really looking forward to getting the RNY. I hope this makes the difference and its not just "me failing the band".

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

DLJones
on 7/25/08 8:43 am, edited 7/25/08 8:54 am - Lockhart, TX
hiya!  i had a lapband and revised to rny.  i had my lap band placed 12-05. i have never really had any restriction w/ the band. and again, literally no restriction. i could eat the house down. my band was at its max and could not have anymore fills. i had lost 10 lbs max and that was with alot of will power.  my doctor said that generally all men and women w/ a bmi of over 50 get the larger band. that was me. now was it that the band was too big? dont know. i didnt have a leak anywhere in it. because the band was not effective doc said it needed to come out. we discussed a few options. 1) remove the band and leave it at that. 2) exchange the band for the smaller one. 3) remove the band and convert to the bypass. because of my experience w/ the band already, i leaned for option 3.  my rny was 6/23/08.  im feeling great.  i am glad i did it.  was not as bad as what i thought i would be as far as pain goes.  havent had any complications, vomiting , etc.  i actaully feel that it was not anymore painful then the band...maybe even less so?  granted i stayed on top of my pain w/ medication when needed and i sort of knew what to expect f/ when i had my lap band, so i was prepared.  i stayed for 2 nights.  they do not go thru your scars f/ you lap band...at least mine werent.  i had 6 small incisions instead of 4 (or was it 5) w/ the band.  glad you found us!

Highest Wt 12-2005           Weight 6-2008               Current Weight               Goal
  (Day of Lap-Band)           (Morning of RNY)                 2/10/2009                   185
           366                                       345                                   249  

brandyII
on 7/25/08 9:41 am
Hi, I had my lap band placed 8/22/07 and gained back all the weight I had lost on the medifast liquid diet.  I had a 40 bmi prior to surgery and still have a 40 bmi, still on the cpap machine, on metformin for diabetes II, on synthroid for thyroid, on meds for high cholesterol, meds for high blood pressure and antidepressants and antianxiety meds.  Since my lap band I now have high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

For a while I was trying to see if I could be happy with myself and my weight and just accept it but it's difficult now that I have even more comorbities.

I've made an appt. to see a surgeon who does the revision to DS in September as my own surgeon surgeon only does laps and rnys.  The DS surgeon is 2 1/2 hours away and so it's tempting to stick with one in my current group.

I'm still trying to figure out if the RNY would suffice of if I'd need the DS as I ate "around the band" as they say and I had the large band, it was the 10 cc one, although I think there's a larger one.

Anyway so this will be my last WLS naturally but I don't want to make two mistakes, any opinions?  thanks brandyII
dietqueen
on 7/25/08 11:32 am, edited 7/25/08 11:32 am - South Lyon, MI
If you're asking for opinions, I'd be more than happy to share mine.

DS. Plain and simple.

Research it more for yourself obviously, but if you want your best chance, get switched.

No matter what, just be sure that you understand ALL the risks and responsibilities that go along with ANY malabsorbative procedure, including RNY.

If one day, for whatever reason, I am unable to reach my goal with the sleeve, I would get the DS or nothing.

Good Luck!

♥Leigh♥     (All weight lost post-op)

Most Active