Anyone had a lap band over a gstric bypass (RNY)?

KRWaters
on 7/23/08 12:16 am - Manteca, CA
To all the posters here, another way to go is with the DS (duodenal switch). Check out duodenalswitch.com and come to the DS forum. I had weight gain also after rnY, gained 40 pounds and now going to have the DS. I was approved with no problems w medicare. A better chance of keeping weight off, better weight loss, able to eat more choices of food, no need to diet again, jus****ch carbs and eat protein. You have to check out the DS forum before you make your final decision. This could be the answer for you all.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

uhmlaila
on 5/19/10 9:37 pm, edited 5/20/10 5:32 am
Hi I had Gastric Bypass in 2001 Gained the weight back and am now scheduled for a band over bypass also in June...only one bariatric surgeon does it here and same senario most said they dont do it, however I see its being done scattered all over the United states and is on the verge of FDA approval this year hopefuly the proceedure has been under clinical trials in th US for a while.   
JustMe501
on 9/2/10 11:34 am
Any updates you could share?  I'm thinking about having this done but want to do my homework before jumping in.  How did it go?  Did your insurance pay for it? 

Hope all is well.
Spacely StarKiller
on 10/8/12 3:43 pm - Montreal, Canada
Hi there I came upon this old post where you had mentioned that you had bob the band over rny, I think?And you're doing well?
I'm feeling a little desperate for inspiration, evening thinking of dropping off of this site... you see I thought that I had a long wait and my BOB is in a month. I've been bullied when expressing my joy for this new, very soon surgery date.

Bullied! By people saying that their revision surgery (DS) is so much better and that I will fail. Even being nasty and wishing me "well" because "you'll need it."

I cried my eyes out for the past several nights in a row. Thinking I had a community of support, people who understood... then just having sand kicked in my face.

When you feel desperate, when you feel it's your only hope. When you and your Doctor have decided... when it's a few weeks away........

I just am feeling so alone right now. Sorry, I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Serena, and I swear I'm usually in good humour.

-Serena

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

MsBatt
on 10/8/12 11:28 pm
Most of the people who expressed concern over your decision aren't trying to "kick sand" in your face---they really DO care about what happens to you, long-term.
katiekat412
on 5/23/13 11:44 am
How are you doing now?

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

shay51
on 6/11/16 10:56 pm - Tulsa, OK

I know this post is a few years old but I'm very curious as how well you have done. I am considering having the band over my RNY. I'm searching for information from people who have had this done and haven't had any luck (other than don't do it)

Sara

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 2:25 pm
On June 12, 2016 at 5:56 AM Pacific Time, shay51 wrote:

I know this post is a few years old but I'm very curious as how well you have done. I am considering having the band over my RNY. I'm searching for information from people who have had this done and haven't had any luck (other than don't do it)

Sara

You can get a band but you need to be very aware that it is temporary at best.  50% of bands are removed 2-5 years post op and it is uncommon to have your band at 10 years.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a fix vs. a dangerous band aid?

A band is likely to mess up your esophagus and there is no fix for that.  None.  Does your ins pay for a revision?  Most ins co's are going to a "once in a lifetime surgery type".  It does not matter who paid for the first surgery, if ins only pays for a virgin wls type you will be self pay for a revision so you want to take that into consideration.  And lets say that ins pays for a revision today, so you get a band knowing full well it is temporary at best, what will you want to self pay for in the future?

I have a regain/revision page on facebook and none of our BOBs are happy.  We have a couple of newbie BOBs but they have been fairly quiet.

shay51
on 6/12/16 4:36 pm - Tulsa, OK

I have received an approval for this procedure. My only other option is a DS but it sounds very risky. The Dr said that he would have to undo my RNY and sleeve my stomach and then re-route my intestines. I have already had a hernia in my intestines from the gastric bypass. I went from 14 blood count to 5.8 and had to have 4 pints of blood do to the hernia and the intestines being twisted and rubbing. That is my concern with doing the DS and having to mess with the intestines.....it was not a fun....lost over 20 pds in 2 months because I couldn't eat or drink. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 4:50 pm
On June 12, 2016 at 11:36 PM Pacific Time, shay51 wrote:

I have received an approval for this procedure. My only other option is a DS but it sounds very risky. The Dr said that he would have to undo my RNY and sleeve my stomach and then re-route my intestines. I have already had a hernia in my intestines from the gastric bypass. I went from 14 blood count to 5.8 and had to have 4 pints of blood do to the hernia and the intestines being twisted and rubbing. That is my concern with doing the DS and having to mess with the intestines.....it was not a fun....lost over 20 pds in 2 months because I couldn't eat or drink. 

It's six of one, half dozen of the other.  A lap band WILL cause problem, it is a given.  The true revision surgeons do not even DO bands.  They are temporary.  What will you do when the band craps out?  It WILL crap out, it IS going to happen.  We did not know that when I had a band way back when, it is because of people like us that YOU have the information to make intelligent decisions and yet... people are still getting bands.  That is a head scratcher.  

I have had a band. If i had a choice between a band again or DS, hands down I would choose DS.  No way would I suffer through a band again. I currently have a sleeve so it is a non issue.  But tell me, if the band erodes and damages your pouch, what will do then?  At that point you may well be out of options for revisions and you'll be left with diet and exercise to get to and maintain goal.

How did that work out for you pre op?

Most Active