med question

sheleh
on 7/20/08 11:36 am, edited 7/20/08 11:37 am
Hi everyone, I had RnY 5-04, lost weight, but never reached a normal bmi. I stayed at the same weight for about 4 months, and started regaining. I am having a lot of pain and burning sensations in my pouch, sometimes it feels like its in my esophogus also. I have been to Dr. Maguire in Dayton, he did an upper gi, which I haven't heard from yet. He has suggested the extened rny, preliminary before any testing.  My question is concerning nsaids.  Will I still be retricted from using them if I get an ERnY?  I have a lot of pain in my bones, and I am wondering if this will enable me to take stronger meds. Or, should I pursue a DS?
ginau
on 7/20/08 12:56 pm - mesa, AZ

I believe the reason we are unable to use nsaids on a regular basis is due to our Pouch and the very real possability  of ulcers ,, small pouch and ulcers would not be good!  Your pain and burning sounds like  an ulcer already  to me - But I am not a Dr ...  

If you  have an extended RNY  they shorten  the common channel and  most Dr's do nothing to the pouch.  If Your looking at a True D.S. - then they will have to reattach the portion of stomach that was transected away - Unless you have simple staple line  that can be undone??

My personal opinion would be do some more Homework !  You really need a lot more communication with the Dr  to see if he can address the pain any other way.  

sheleh
on 7/21/08 9:46 pm
Thanks for your reply,
The Dr. office called yesterday and said that the upper gi did not show an ulcer, she said my pouch was not stretched out, but my stoma was wide open. I asked her about why I have all the burning and she said she didn't know. ( This is the nurse, the Dr. hasn't looked at the test yet, I have a follow up this comming tues.)  I asked her about taking nsaids and would it be better if I got the DS, and she said I can take nsaids as long as they protect my pouch with prevacid or something.  She says that I will have all the advantages of the DS.  I am confused, as I am so tired of feeling bad all the time, my stomach burns when its empty.
I guess I will wait and see what the Dr. says on tuesday, hopefully he has some answers and solutions!
mollybearsmom
on 7/21/08 6:41 am - Dahlonega, GA
I just had a revisions to DS and one of the main reasons I wanted the true DS over an ERNY is because I didn't want to be limited as to what medications I could take and I also didn't want the blind stomach left in there that could never be scoped. They also found a small gastro gastric fistula so I didn't want to have to worrry about a re-occurance of that either. On top of all that I really needed some restriction back at least long enough to get this weight back off and with the ERNY they would not do anything to my pouch. I'm all for a short common channel helping me maintain my weight but with plenty of weight left to lose, I needed something that addresses all my issues! Feel free to come over to the DS board if you have more questions there are plenty of revisions to DS over there!
Susan
sheleh
on 7/21/08 9:47 pm
Thanks for replying,
As I stated above, they are saying I can take arthritis meds as long as I protect my pouch.  I have about 80 pounds to loose, 50 of a regain, and the 30 that never came off the first time.
I am so depressed! I don't get all this!
KRWaters
on 7/23/08 1:00 am - Manteca, CA
I am like you, only lost 90 to begin with with my RnY, stayed at -90 for almost a year, and then started a regain. Gained at least 40 pounds, also had 40 still to go to get to goal. I am on line to get the DS, been approved as diabetes came back and still have sleep apnea. I say check out the DS before you make a final decision. Best bet is come to the DS forum here on OH and read some posts and responses. I did and never looked back. Also, check out duodenal switch. com. It is so worth it to check it out. Best of luck to you.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

KRWaters
on 7/23/08 1:01 am - Manteca, CA
Dr. Maguire is a great doc and dos the DS, but am certain he does not do revisions to DS from RnY so you may have to go elsewhere to get a revision to a DS if that is what you decide.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

sheleh
on 7/23/08 10:13 pm
Thanks so much for the information. I have been reading over on the ds board also. I will check out the other site too!
Most Active