Question about recovery from lap band to RNY

fortworthgal
on 7/20/08 1:55 am - Fort Worth , TX
I am having revision surgery on Aug 1st from lap band to RNY. If you had a revision from lap band to RNY, was your recovery more difficult the second time around? If it was more difficult, what made it so?

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

shel
on 7/20/08 4:43 am - Howell, NJ
Had same done to my 6/30/08.  I did not find it more difficult, but different.  Much more pain from gas which I never had first time.  I had a much longer hospital stay with lap band complications, 1 week vs. 1 night for the RNY revision.  Ride home from the hospital after RNY was pure hell, even clutching my pillow.  Painkillers in the hosp much better than painkillers at home.  Pain worse for about 4 or 5 days, then OK.
Good luck.
Kim E.
on 7/21/08 2:02 pm - VA
I am going to see my surgeon tomorrow morn to beg for RNY after my lapband 16 mos ago.  How did you convince him to d the revision ?  I started at 310 and have lost 50 pounds... any advice is appreciated !  I have BC BS in s with state of VA.

Kim 

Lap Band March 2007- SW = 310
DS - 4/24/09 - SW = 255
CW = 175
GW = 160
Colon Cancer Survivor and Obesity Survivor - Can't do much better then that !!  ENJOY !!!

fortworthgal
on 7/22/08 2:43 am - Fort Worth , TX
Kim, I didnt have any trouble getting approved for a revision. I got my band done in Mexico so he wasnt my original doctor but I chose the doctor I have now because he is very experienced with revisions plus he is my network and I have good insurance. Thank goodness!  If your doctor wont do it, find one that will who has revision experience. I dont know anything about your insurance though. Good luck!

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

NeedhamGal
on 7/20/08 9:52 am - MA
My experience was great!  My stomach did not hurt for I didnot have this port in my stomach muscles like with the band.   THe day after surgery was no picnic...I was exhaussted, nauseaus and ran a slight fever.  The following day (day 2 after surgery) I took a shower and felt like a new woman. I was able to consume liquids easily from day 3 and only needed a few cat naps. By day 5 I grabbed the car keys and went to blockbuster.   If I needed to go to work, I could have...I have a desk job.
On Tuesday I will be 2 weeks out and feel terrific.

Email me if I can help. Joan
stina1979
on 7/21/08 4:42 am - OH

Hi Joan!

I just read your post.  I actually have an appt to discuss options with my surgeon on Wednesday.  I have gained back 100 of the 150 lost!  I had an RNY back in 2001.  How is the weight loss coming off now?

Thanks a bunch!

Kristina

Most Active