Im really not alone...???

BandedDiva
on 7/20/08 1:35 am - MA

Im so glad I came back on the OH site to have a look around...I had lapband surgery back in Aug. of 2006. I initially lost 65 lbs and things were going good.  Then I went in for a fill one day, and its been down hill since.  My port flipped and I had to go back in for surgery and get it flopped back...After that, my fills were just a pain in the a**. Even though I was under xray for fills, the surgeon had such a hard time getting the needle into the port, thus resulting in *stick stick stick* and me leaving in tears after 45 mins or so.  I have now had about 5 fills, and my band has a mind of its own. One day I will eat some form of protein and it will be fine. The next day I will eat the same meal and it will get stuck, and have me barfing up and gagging for HOURS on end..But its not the solid protein, its that (sorry this is gross) 'slime-like' stuff.
So here I am, just about 2 yrs out, and Ive gained back 20 pounds and Im miserable and unhappy and spend time crying and beating myself up. Ive retreated back into myself, because people are so MEAN and negative.  And to top it all off, BOTH medical places that Ive been going to for my band and counseling, are under 'reconstruction' and doctors have left and nutrionists, and blah blah blah.  I spoke to my surgeon about a revision and he said no..(mind you, I was one of the FIRST to get the band in my area!) And I talked to another doctor (the one who started up the weight loss center) and he said NO..I feel like my life is in shambles and ONCE AGAIN, my life is on hold and Im growing older and 'missing out'...and no one seems to care.
Any words of wisdom out there?  I see a lot of people saying we need to "change our lifestyle" and so on..and I believe I have in many ways. I dont eat half the amount I used to, and I exercise more than I used to...I would love to exercise more, but I work an hour and a half away from where I live and on top of that, my job is a desk job, where I sit for 8 hrs.  Ugh..and if one more person says "move closer to your job" Im going to scream!!!  Its just not possible!!
Ok..Thats about it in a nutshell! If anyone has any suggestions, please please PLEASE send them my way!!  I guess it helps just to know that Im NOT alone in my 'failure' of the band and there ARE options out there!!
Thanks a lot!!
Kim

ginau
on 7/20/08 1:54 am - mesa, AZ

KIm

Dont  give up .. Keep calling , check the revision forum for Dr's in your area. Something will work out for you , as far a s exercise .. take a walk on your lunch break . take your breaks and walk .. bring a set of 2lb wrist weights or two water bottle and carry on your walk - its just moving ! ya gotta get up and away from your desk - just make most of it ...   I sit all day too ... I am trying to take stairs more,

Hang in there - things are going to work out - just have to be patient

fortworthgal
on 7/20/08 2:03 am - Fort Worth , TX
No? WHY NO?? Is it because your BMI is too low now? Your insurance? If its not because of your BMI or insurance, then you havent found a doctor who is experienced with revisions. I got my band in MEXICO in 2004 and found a great doctor to do my revision here in Dallas and am revising to RNY on Aug 1st. I would check your areas list of doctors to see which ones are experienced with revisions and go from there. Good luck!

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

PekinSal
on 7/20/08 6:33 am - UK
You're not alone Kim.

If I could 'change my lifestyle' and become the saint some doctors expect then I wouldn't have needed surgery and could have saved myself a lot of trouble and money.

I got bored with losing very little, having no control over how my band behaved and found ways to cheat. The failure of my first attempt at wls was 50% me and 50% my band, because it wouldn't adjust to any 'sweet spot'.

I had it taken out and had the DS instead, and I haven't regretted it. Your options depend on how much you have left to lose, whether you can find a good revision surgeon, whether your insurance will pay or you can afford it etc. If you need more info just PM me.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

The UnSLEEVED 0.
on 7/20/08 11:35 am
You R not alone... Read my profile.. as I too am two yrs out with the band and am having revision to VSG in a week........... Come visit the VSG board,,,, there are ALOT of ex banders there who are having much success with the sleeve.. I bet if you post this same thread there, you will get alot of answers and guidance.. GOOD LUCK!!

Peg M.
on 8/13/08 12:52 pm - NJ
Kim,

I echo how you feel. I haven't lost with the band except for the first 6 weeks and the majority of that was when I was on only liquids. I am so frustrated I just want to cry. I can eat popcorn but not scrambled eggs -- go figure. I have no idea what to do. My doctor (internist) and my husand do not want me to have gastric bypass and honestly it scares me too.

Peg

I THINK I CAN! Our God is an Awesome God -- Thank all of you for your support!
Most Active