Info for those looking into a revision...(long but if it helps 1 person it's worth it)

bluemoon123
on 7/24/08 11:07 pm
Hi, Susan,
Thank you for taking the time to write.  The degree of malabsorptive properties of the DS scare me. I am a  nurse, and I worry that if I ever needed important meds, even with crushing them, would they be dificult to absorb/regulate.? Have your side effects  (gas etc) been manageable?  I'm glad you found something that  works for you. I'll look into it more.  Thanks for your thoughts, Susan.
Lori 
mollybearsmom
on 7/24/08 11:56 pm - Dahlonega, GA
Hey Lori,
I worried about the malabsorbtion too, but in the long run I decided I couldn't let the what ifs get in the way of the decision to have the surgery that was right for me. There can be complications with any surgery not just WLS but any other surgery can cause unforeseen complications years down the road. I have heard of some pretty bad complications with band over RNY and the ERNY, as well as those revisions failing too. I chose the DS with all the good and bad that comes with it because in the long run it seemed to be the one that worked best. If I end up with a complication down the road I'll deal with it.  I made sure I picked a surgeon that could provide me with long term care, and by that I mean someone that would consult with my pcp on any medical issues I may have in the future so together they could develop the best treatment for me taking into consideration my DS. As far as side effects, so far I can honestly say I don't have any. I don't have any gas issues and have had small quantities of sugar and white flour which are a couple of the main culprits that give you gas. Pretty much gas issues are food related for people with the DS so in reality all that can be easily taken care of if you do have issues. I also don't have any bowel issues, I go once in the morning and I am pretty much set for the day.  I hope all this helps you make the choice for the best surgery for you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Susan
vickidimples
on 7/21/08 6:34 pm - Chattanooga, TN
Hi Susan, I felt that your letter was me, I gaining weight  so fast and my doctor will not do anythinng , he wants me to go to counseling ,my question  to you  what's DS [email protected]  . 
mollybearsmom
on 7/22/08 6:30 am - Dahlonega, GA
Hi Vicki,
I sent you an email to your yahoo mail. Let me know if you have any questions
Susan
Most Active