Has anyone ever had or heard of REVISIONAL GASTRECTOMY FOR A FISTULA??

Jill23
on 7/17/08 11:31 am - Kendall Park, NJ

My friend is having one this week--any information on this would be so appreciated--thanks!

Jill

kdsmith
on 7/18/08 1:19 am - TX
It sounds like she is getting her pouch reshaped (reduced) and a new stoma.  She will be just like a newbee.  I had this done two weeks ago but for a different reason.    It has been just like getting the original surgury with out all the bypass.
cayita63
on 7/19/08 12:28 pm - Ft Lauderdale, FL
Kdsmith  hi what reasons did u have , i am having a procedure on the 12 not sure yet what my surgeon will do, to see what is medically or mechanical wrong with my initial rny
claudia
kdsmith
on 7/19/08 12:43 pm - TX
I was constantly burping.  If I did not have anything on my stomach I would burp every thirty seconds or so.  I had a barium swallow and it showed my pouch was 500cc ,thats huge.  I had my surgery in 2001 lap.  My surgeon didnt make my pouch small enough.  I had a nasty ulcer I didn't even know I had because there were no feelings there.  The surgeon was amazed it didnt hurt.  I know this revision probably saved my life because no telling how bad that ulcer would have gotten.

I can really tell the difference between this surgery and the first.  Much more restriction.  Odd thing, I lost the weight.  I was a size 12 when I had the revision.  My lowest size was a size 8.  Before the revision I was able to eat anything I wanted.  Steak, sweets, anything just 500 cc's worth which is nothing like I could have before.

I am 2 weeks out and have lost 12 lbs.
goldroses
on 7/21/08 4:07 am - S. Weymouth, MA
HI

I had my bypass revised because of 2 gastogastric fistulas and 3 intestinal ulcers. The fistulas are considered mechanical complications and most insurance companies will pay for revisions under this condition. Basically a connection forms between the pouch and the "old" stomach  and it allows  food and stomach acids to pass back and forth. It can cause ulcers and weight gain.  I hope this helps you

Good luck to your friend

Amy
Most Active