Found out stomaphx was incorporated in my revision

darnell239
on 7/17/08 8:32 am - Columbia, SC
Today I had my 1 week post-op appointment.  The meeting confirmed what I have been thinking the doctor performed the stomaphx as part of the revision.  He converted my mini-gastric bypass to the RNY but he used the stomaphx on my pouch.  He threw that out as one option during our consultation but he also threw out other options to fix my pouch and stoma.  He told me that he wouldn't be sure which route to go until he actually gets inside during surgery.  Today I had him better explain what he did with my pouch because I was kind of out of it at the hospital when he spoke to me.  I am not too happy about the stomaphx on my pouch.  So far the stomaphx is has had poor results.  This probably explains why I have no restriction when drinking my protein and water.  I sure hope this surgery wasn't in vain.

cayita63
on 7/17/08 1:21 pm - Ft Lauderdale, FL
Good Luck, u will do fine keep us post
claudia
mikenfortmill
on 7/18/08 2:41 am - Fort Mill, SC
Hello... good to hear an update. I am sure the surgery won't be in vain.... water and fluids will most likely naturally flow on through, I am sure you will notice a difference once you begin to eat solids... I will keep you in thoughts for all things good!  Take care and keep us posted... Mike
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/08 2:47 am - AZ
Don't worry too much yet about liquids going through well.  After my sleeve I was VERY worried about the same thing and then when I got to solids I was in for a huge shock, solids really do make a difference. ;o)

I'm sorry about the stomaphyx, that has to be a concern. :o(

darnell239
on 7/18/08 4:05 am - Columbia, SC
Thanks midwestern girl.  However, the sleeve is such a different procedure than the stomaphx.  I'm interested in how all of this will play out.  Next week I go on solids and then I will know if restriction really exist.
Deanne K.
on 7/18/08 8:59 am - Tucson, AZ
It is probably a good thing.  It can't hurt you any.  It might just give you just enough restriction to help out.
shel
on 7/19/08 10:40 am - Howell, NJ
I too am worried about no restriction.  I had my lap band removed and RNY performed on 6/30/08.  Liquids and pureed going down much too easy.  They tell me wait until solid foods.  I've been on solid foods since Tuesday and there is still no restriction -- I am worried.  I've been measuring and watching what I eat, but this is much different than the lap band, which basically for me was an instantaneous choke, even with water.  I am not sure how restriciton is supposed to feel with the RNY, but you do, and I wonder if we will ever get to good restriction. 
Michele
LosingSally
on 7/20/08 4:44 pm
Right after RNY, your stomach is basically NUMB! You can easily overfill because you don't have normal sensation. So DO measure and stop when you have your amount eaten, ok? Stretching things out now would be easy if you overdo in the early days. Let things heal well, and the nerves wake up.
I didn't feel much for weeks, but I felt it when I over ate, I felt like puking. NOT a good feeling. I learned to stick with my couple oz every few hours, with plenty of liquids whenever I could get it down. Once yor stomach is healed and feeling again, you will be supprised how full you will get.
walkwithme2
on 6/17/09 8:53 am - Long Island, NY
Hi,

I am 1 month post op for RNY. My stomach and skin above my belly is numb. It's puffy and my skirts fit tight around me because of the swelling. My scars are all healing nicely. Oh. I do measure my food because I too don't want to overeat just because I don't feel it. Do you think me stomach numbness and swelling will last another month? Seems that way to me.
Walkwithme2
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/08 5:07 pm - AZ
Did you give your surgeon the permission to do the stomaphx ? I was just wondering.
Most Active