Band over Bypass post-ops please post

louisec
on 7/17/08 12:32 am - Orange County, CA

Can you please share your experience? If you do not want to post here please email me through OH.
I hear and read lots of ERny and DS conversions, but wonder about your experience.
I have only found a few profiles and wonder about your experience please.
Thank you!
Louise

Barbara B.
on 7/17/08 1:43 am - Bandon, OR
My Roux en y was in 2001 and I am regaining weight. Now that I have a hernia to deal with surgically, I chose a consult for a lap band. I am wanting to hear anything about those who have done so all ready. My lap band will be fairly soon, as I must get rid of this hernia....any  comments? thanks.
hayley_hayley
on 7/17/08 4:28 pm
Barbara and Louise,
Adding the band will give u restriction and sure u will lose some weight...u lost some weight initially with the RNY.  Point is...your going to balance out and start gaining again (u can out eat the band even with the tightest of salene fills).  There will be nothing to stop you from gaining weight...no malabsorption of calories.  Then ur back on this board.

It is the absorption that you need fixed.  That is why getting a DS is the best way to go.  You can get the added restriction of the stomach AND get the intestines that malabsorb the calories - which is what helps keep the weight off. 

The tummy part helps u lose weight...in all the surgeries...but the intestines is what helps u keep it off. 

Its not too late.  Please come check out the DS.  We have many people who are revisions and would be happy to talk to you. 

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

Zena Romy
on 7/17/08 10:46 am - Canada
Hi Louise,

I had an RNY in 2000 and lost 130 lbs.  It last ed well for about 2-3 yrs. and then I slowly started regaining.  I am now up 40 lbs.  After much researching, I decided to have a lap band put over my RNY and will be doing that on Aug 6th.

I will be happy to keep you posted and explain more if you like.  In the meantime, if you want to read about others who have done the same thing (and there are lots of us, as 99% of RNYers regain weight) try the following blog:  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/mish/

Good luck with doing all your research and finding the revision that is righ for you.  You should also check out European studies - they have been doing the lap band and RNYs much longer.  Interestingly, they now put a lap band over the RNY during the RNY surgery!  They don't fill it, but know that later on, even if you eat PERFECTLY, the stoma and pouch will stretch.  The lap band can then be filled to keep the restriction.

Keep us posted on your journey!

All the best,
Zena

michele W.
on 7/17/08 11:45 pm - eatontown, NJ
Hi Zena,

I am so excited for you. As you know, I didn't hear about the ROSE clinical study in time to be possibly considered. But I still want to have a revision. I am in the same boat, I had my bypass in 2001 and have gained about 40lbs back as well, (although I never made it to goal, I lost just under 100lbs).  While I completely understand about the DS being a great alternative, I really do not want anything that invasive again. I had a bleeding  problem during  my RNY which I almost died from so the lap band is the most I am willing to do. My niece had the lapband done extremely well. She is actually below goal.

Please keep us posted in you journey. And too would love to hear from anyone who has had a band over their rny.

Best wishes,
michele
Most Active