Question about drainage tube

MandiDawn5281
on 7/16/08 11:53 am, edited 7/16/08 11:53 am
Hi everyone,

My mother got home from having a gastroplasty reversal yesterday. They cut part of the ring narrowing her stomach pouch so she can get food through better. I've never been through anything like this before so I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.

They gave her a drainage tube which she has to have in for about 3 weeks. They didn't explain real well about what was supposed to come out of it. I am really sorry to be gross but when she eats something, the food leaks through the tube and there is usually blood in the tube. She called the doctors office today and they said that was normal and it was just the healing process from where she had surgery. She has been flushing it out with water about every couple hours but it keeps coming back. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance
Amanda
ginau
on 7/16/08 1:58 pm - mesa, AZ

Amanda

Drainage tubes are very  normal , Do not rinse out !!! Just drain them - measure & drain. Make sure to  note the color and output on a piece of paper ,  if its the bulb style  make sure to squeeze it and then place top on - this is so it draws out the  excess fluid from the wound.

Rinsing it  can add bacteria to the  field - your mom dont need that!!

its normal to have a dark bloody output in the begining,  it might get a little darker in color but clearer.  as time goes on  it will be less and less in there.

If food is leaking through  - you need to call the Dr and let them know - cuz that dont sound normal !!!

My best friend is a nurse and she gave me  a crash course - Hope this helps

** note ** some times you will get  stringy  / threads = normal  

Most Active