Looking at Revision Options

SheriAZ
on 7/16/08 5:30 am
7 years ago on July 16, 2001, I had gastric bypass surgery in Phoenix. After 8 weeks on liquids I lost 20 lbs. for the next 7 months I lost 10 lbs. per month and then nothing more. I started at 316 lbs. and stopped losing at 226 lbs. I was as faithful as anyone could be. On my wedding day I "pretended to eat cake" I didn't have a drink of any kind until about 4 years after surgery. When I finally tried some sugar I didn't have any reaction at all. I took my vitamins faithfully. The thing that struck me funny was I would go to the Dr. for blood work but there was never any need for iron, calcium or vitamin B, I wasn't lacking any. I was frustrated so I tried nutri-systems and medifast. On medifast I lost only 13 lbs and on nutri-system I lost nothing. After 4 years of trying to lose more weight and not succeeding I started gaining again and gained it all back. I will admit to giving up and not caring but that was only after 4 unsuccessful years. So here I am back where I started. I am 57 yrs. old with high blood pressure, high cholestrol, arthritis and understandably, depression. I even thought that the anti-depressants caused the weight gain but there wasn't a change when I went off of them. Everyone just assumes that it is my metabolism and I am destined to be fat and unhealthy for the rest of my life. I have an appointment in Phoenix next week to see about a revision. I would appreciate any advise or suggestions from anyone who may have gone through similar problems. Thank you all so much for any advise you can give.
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/08 7:11 am - CO
You might want to look into the Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery; there are quite a few folks who frequent the board there who have been revised from RNY to DS. Come on over to that board and do some reading. Also, you can check out www.duodenalswitch.com for more information.
I hope you find some answers soon!
JRinAZ
on 7/16/08 7:27 am - Layton, UT
Hi there Sheri from Phoenix!  I could say "ditto " to your entire story but my post-op struggle was over 5 years before having a revision.  There totally is LIFE for those of us in our "prime time" years!  I just got back from a quick run to the Mall and brought home size 2's and 4's.  I'm sure my toddler sizxes weren't that small!  LOL!  Good luck with your Revision path!  Keep us posted!  How about joining some of us at one of the local support meetings sometime?  I'm going to one tonight at Banner Gateway in the East Valley (60 and Higley).  It's in a conf room just past the cafeteria from 4:30 tp 6.  All invited from any program.  It's psych facilitated......I"m going to Dr. Schlesinger's OPEN support meeting on Saturday.  There's usually a few Revision patients there.  You can get times and directiosn off of his website:  www.azwls.com  ............YOU deserve a crack at being lean, healthy and even HOT!!!!  Grab your second chance and run with it!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

SheriAZ
on 7/16/08 7:38 am
I have my first appointment with Dr. Schlesinger next Thursday morning and I am excited plus alittle scared since I read so much about the high risk of revision surgery but I am a walking risk this way as it is. I really wish I could attend a support group but I live in Yuma so it is a long haul. Wow...size 2 and 4. That is awesome. What type of revision did you have? How was your recovery? Your picture certainly says alot about how happy you must be. Thanks for the support. I will keep you posted.
JRinAZ
on 7/16/08 8:34 am - Layton, UT
Sheri in Phoenix.....STOP!!!!  Don't go out to Banner Gateway tonight.  I entered the info in my planner wrong.  It's actually the 3rd Thursday of the month from 4:30 to 6....Sooooo.....maybe I'll see you tomorrow night!!!.....I've got myself a spare evening now?  Hmmmmmmm.....maybe off to the tanning booth!  No rants allowed.....I get it from the aestheticians I work with all the time ..... but, me thinks if I have to have an addiction that tanning isn't the worst of them?  What d'ya think?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

SheriAZ
on 7/16/08 12:51 pm
I think I agree with you. Go for the tanning, I would. If I ever get this weight off totally I plan to become a plastic surgery junkie....well, only if I can afford it. Whatever makes you feel good about your self is ok by me. Have a good time.
hayley_hayley
on 7/17/08 4:21 pm
Dont make the same mistake twice...Time to look into the DS in my opinion. 

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

SheriAZ
on 7/18/08 4:33 am
Wow...192 lbs. You look fantastic. Did you have a revision to DS? Yes that is the way that I am leaning even though I have heard some "stinky" stories about it. I am so excited about the prospect. I actually thought that there was nothing more that could be done.
Sheri
hayley_hayley
on 7/18/08 8:03 am
Our stink is the same as RNY stink. It is controllable and usually food related.  Actually my gas doesnt stink...my poop sure does though!  But I courtesy flush and use a spray.  I dont take anything for it.  Some people like to take a probiotic or flagyl but U can pin point what foods cause u problems and avoid them..atleast until ur in the privacy of ur own home. lol

I did not have a revision.  It took me 5-6 years to get the DS but it was worth the wait!  Initially I was going to have the lapband but my doc got real with me and im so glad he did!  The DS has been so easy to live with.  I love telling people my "diet" is high protein and high fat.  My friends hate that I can eat fried chicken and lose weight while they may gain a pound.  lol

While I am not a revision...I do have many friends that are.  Thanks for the compliment...I never dreamed that I would be where I am now.  I hope u too will soon reap the benefits of the DS! Pm me any time ud like to talk.  And please come on by the DS board! We wont bite...unless u ask nicely.   =)

Minus 202 pounds; Height=5'10.5; Plastic Surgery = arms; Pant: 24 to 4/6; Top 3x to sm/med, I My DS! .

mollybearsmom
on 7/18/08 8:34 am - Dahlonega, GA
Hi,
I just a revision from RNY to DS on June 25th with Dr. Husted. I wish I had known about the DS back in 1999 before I had the RNY, there's nothing worse than losing weight and feeling great and then gaining most of it back again. I chose the DS because I needed to get this weight back off but I didn't want the surgery to fail me again like the RNY did. If you are interested in the DS feel free to PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions I can.
Susan
Most Active