Signs for a Band revision/removal?

JoyceB
on 7/15/08 5:47 pm - IL

Had lapband 4 years ago.  Initially lost weight, but have gained it all back.  For the past 3 years I have had little to no restriction at maximum fill.  Occassionally I would regurgitate food because it would get "stuck" and hurt like h*ll.  Needless to say I hate this band!  I never went back to my Dr. because 1) I have been treated like sh*t in the past, 2) my original Dr. moved out of state, 3) the replacement Dr. is the one who treated me like sh*t and 4)  I was embarrassed at my failure and 5)  I was willing to live with this thing in my body and just go on living like a fat person (aka. I gave up).  BUT, problems seem to be starting.  About 2 months ago I had complete restriction for 1 day and couldn't pass any food and had pain.  About one month ago I felt sick and vomitted mid-afternoon for no apparant reason. Now, 3 days ago I woke up at 7 am and suddenly felt sick and vomitted (but of course nothing comes out).  Tonight I woke up at 1 am with the same issue but this time more "violent."  I end up bloating for a day and feel miserable.  Could this be a sign of band problems?  Everything I read about vomitting seems to deal with right after eating, not hours later.  Are these signs?  Could this be erosion?  Can anyone recommend a good dr. to see in Illinois to diagnose and treat this?  If I have to go back to the originaly office, I guess I will, but I would feel more comfortable seeing someone with compassion.  Help!

kingfish
on 7/15/08 9:14 pm, edited 7/15/08 9:17 pm - Auckland New Zealand, New Zealand
You do need to get this checked out as soon as possible Joyce, your symptoms are similar to what I experienced - I had no restriction, alot of bloating, felt miserable and in my case it turned out to be severe band erosion, resulting in  major infection  and finally band removal last October.    You could also have a slip so treat this with urgency.   If there is nothing wrong - great!      What about posting on the lapband board, there is bound to be someone there who can put you in touch with a compassionate doctor.

Take heart that after the awful time I had, I am revising to VSG on August 5th - so maybe a revision is also something you could also discuss with your new doctor.

Good luck

Marion 
JoyceB
on 7/17/08 8:20 am - IL
Thanks Marion -  I met with a new doctor today and he thinks I might have erosion.  I am going for an upper GI and endoscope in the next two weeks to make sure that is the case and remove the band (Yippee!).  We discussed alternatives and whether I want to even try something else.  He is recommending I consider RNY.  The results of the tests will help me decide.  I also got a script for meds for the nausea.  Good luck with your revision!  Joyce
kingfish
on 7/17/08 10:11 am - Auckland New Zealand, New Zealand
Joyce, I am so glad that  now you will get answers and it sounds like you have found a good doctor who  is working in your best interests..    If you do go ahead with a revision, make sure you start researching the other forums to find what will be right for you.   You would be in good company because there are lots bandsters who have revised to VSG  and RNY, and they are so willing to share their experiences.

All the best...........  Marion
Arizonadck
on 7/15/08 10:33 pm - Chicago, IL
Hi JoyceB - I can recommend Dr. Gerald Cahill at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park.  He's the most wonderful, compassionate doctor !!  You would have no regrets!!  He did my bypass 5 years ago!  Good Luck - I hope you get to the bottom of this!! 
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/08 11:30 pm - Brampton, Canada
Joyce, I live in Canada so can't refer you to a doctor but research to find a lap doctor to assess you.  If that fails go back to that other doctor and demand to be treated with respect.  The only person you are hurting by not having this addressed is yourself not him.

Best wishes,
gonemadx3
on 7/18/08 12:59 am - East Peoria, IL
Try Peoria Surgical group, Peoria Illinois. They did my revision from Band to RNY.

-Michele

lap band '05/revision to rny 11/21/07
5'6- hw/276 sw/242 cw/144 gw/140
then- bmi 36-39 now-bmi 24-
NORMAL WEIGHT

"It's  Not Who You Are On The Inside, It's What You Do That Defines You".....

or

Most Active