Open revisions?

KCameron
on 7/11/08 5:21 pm - Radcliff, KY

Have most people's revisions been open or lap?

Just curious, my first surgery was open vbg and predict open for rny revision.

Thanks! Kim

Cynthia Johnson
on 7/12/08 1:59 am

Hi, my rny in 2003 was laporscopic the revision was open.  Dr.S stated he wanted to see every thing.  Prior sugeries may have adhesions, hernia's and such that need to be repaired.  That is the understanding I have for why the revisions are done open.

Prox, dist, or extended which will you have for the channe?

Cynthia

KCameron
on 7/12/08 2:36 am - Radcliff, KY

I am having a gastric emptying study and esophageal motility study this week. We haven't discussed the specifics for the rny. Not the extended though. I also had been asking how many cm everyone else has had. I see the average seems to be 150. Do you know what yours is?

I have had several abdominal surgeries, so I am sure I need some cleaning up.lol

Thanks, Kim

ginau
on 7/12/08 5:54 am - mesa, AZ

Kim

My Dr  gave me a 75 cm common channel , Yes very extended! and lots to deal with - BUT its all worth it..

ginau
on 7/12/08 2:26 am - mesa, AZ

Hi Kim

Depends on the Dr and their prefferance, Mine does it as an open procedure, He has a few reasons Like Peace&joy said .. He can take care or adhesions,scar tissue , if there are any issues with possible bowel obstructions etc, also he wants to make sure he gets the correct limb  and can get a accurate measure.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

M. Hall
on 7/12/08 6:50 am - Norcross, GA

Im in Georgia as you an see and my Doc is the same way. He does it open and clears up the adhesions and scar tissue when he goes in.

godzilla
on 7/12/08 7:05 am - Israel

mine was open. lots of adhesions- also after vbg. amazing i had no complications. surgeon's hands are like an angel.

now if i were to be so lucky as to dump! i have to keep on track against certain junkfoods.

my rny was not neccessarily to lose weight although i was 104K but to get rid if the gerd.

i am now at 85K and tracking my liquids and proteins.

mikimi in israel

darnell239
on 7/12/08 11:44 am - Columbia, SC

My revision was done lap.  Every doctor has their reason which surgery they will perform.  My doctor preferred doing it lap.  I also wanted it to be lap vs open.

KCameron
on 7/12/08 12:28 pm - Radcliff, KY

Congratulations on your revision. I would love to not have an open, but I also have a hernia and who knows what else.lol  I had the first open, and this is my third incisional hernia along the original incision. This is my 5th abdominal surgery, so probably a good thing so he can clean up. I am comfortable with him and trust him, I just know what I am in for. I do weight a lot less than the original, so hopefully it will go faster.

Thanks!

Kim

Jenkatmom L.
on 7/13/08 1:10 am

Hi Kim:

Mine was open.  The rationale is to get in, get the job done and get out.  The less time under anesthesia the better.  I also had complications afterward, but would do it all over in a heartbeat.  I am happy to be able to eat whatever I want, whenever I want and not gain weight for once in my life!  I can also shop for normal size clothes!  I had the DS and am extremely happy!  Check out our board and make an informed decision about what procedure is best for you and your lifestyle.

:) Lori D

Happy to be alive and loving life!
                    I LOVE my DS!
Most Active