Stomach Staple Circa 1980

Kerry J.
on 7/14/08 10:05 am - Santa Clara, UT

Wow, you're telling my story. Your surgeon Doc wasn't Don Houston was it, he's the guy that did my first surgery.

Did they remove all the staples? Sounds scary

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/08 10:14 am - Brampton, Canada

No my doc was Dr Deitel in Toronto, Canada.  No the staples can't be removed as they are deeply scattered and embedded in our stomach tissue, they don't cause any problem though. 

Kerry J.
on 7/14/08 10:18 am - Santa Clara, UT

Whew! That's comforting, I was getting a little nervous about those staples.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/08 12:36 pm - Brampton, Canada

I did find out recently though that us old VBGers would of had surgical stainless steel staples instead of the titanium staples that are used at least in Canada for the past 10 years or so.  Due to this I am told we should not have an MRI at any time.

Kerry J.
on 7/14/08 12:42 pm - Santa Clara, UT

Hmm, I had never heard that before, but I guess I could see how a really strong magnet might cause problems with stainless steel. I don't know if mine were SS or titanium, but being that is was 1980 or 81 I would assume they're stainless steel.

Thanks for the tip,

Kerry

pepsi98
on 7/14/08 8:23 pm - Norwich, CT

Well, I guess I'll add my 2 cents!!  I had a gastric stapling in 1982, lost 120 lbs and gained it all back within a few years.  My doctor was just a general surgeon (he's probably dead by now) and there was no nutritional support or guidance nor support groups.  Hence, I didn't keep it off for very long.  Now here I am, 52 years old trying to get my insurance company to approve a lap band over the old bypass  (got a letter of denial yesterday which make me very, very sad...).

Now I have to prepare to fight.  I am afraid to go for a full revision or the DS because of the higher surgical risk, as well as the fact that even my MD I think prefers the least invasive.  I now have several co morbids.

"The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

JewelKat13
on 8/7/08 9:55 pm - Phoenix, NY
I will follow suit, and here I go!!!  Let me say that I am so grateful I am not the only one who is looking at a revision after VBG.  I felt like a failure for so long because other people could loose weight and then here I have this surgery to help me and I failed at it....moving forward....

I had a VBG back in 1987, lost about 125# only to gain it back.  Like you, there was no support, no guidance, my doctor just said "Fill the pouch with low-calorie food"...ok...I would get sick a lot, and even today some days I can eat, and other days I can't.  My metabolism is probably screaming right now..lol...since I have tried to loose weight by traditional means, I could eat a lettuce leaf and still gain 10 lbs....

I will be sending positive thoughts for you!...

Best,
JK

pepsi98
on 8/8/08 8:58 am - Norwich, CT
Thank you...I am waiting for my medical records so that I can file an appeal for a lap band.  Have you thought about some sort of revision?

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

JewelKat13
on 8/8/08 1:24 pm - Phoenix, NY
  I am still researching the DS, but haven't made up my mind yet, I have heard good things about it, but still working on that part of it.  I think I will talk to the doctor and see what he says when I get an appointment. 

JK
KCameron
on 8/8/08 2:02 pm - Radcliff, KY

Hi Kerry,

If you already had the bypass of the intestines and your pouch or stoma is stretched, any of the tightening procedures, rose or stomaphyx are the least invasive and probably safest.

I am a 12 yr old vbg and had been looking into revision to a possible rny bypass, but after weighing all the long term complications or restrictions am having it reversed in Sept.

I already have arthritis at 46 in my knees and if my family history has anything to do with it I will need to be able to take nsaids in the future. My mom had both hips replaced, one knee and is having to get the other one done in the spring. I already have health problems with malabsorption due to daily vomiting of solids. I have developed gerd, achalasia, esophageal motility problems and gastritis. It has also started to affect my teeth. I work for a dentist.lol This has been going on almost 2 years.

I will be thrilled to be able to eat real food again, healthy things. Lean meats, fruits and vegetables. I am dying to have some fresh tomatoes.

Dr. Schlesinger will do replies on this site. He does a lot of revisions and will reply to your questions.

Good luck, I wish you well.

Kim

Most Active