Stomach Staple Circa 1980

Kerry J.
on 7/11/08 9:35 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Folks, I'm new here and this is my first post on this board.  I had a gastric bypass/stomach stapling surgery back in 1980. This worked well for me until about 10 years ago when I started gaining weight due to terrible eating habits, related to a life funk and depression. Anyway, that's all history, life is good and I want to get my old self back so I'm looking into a revision to get me rebooted and back on track. I would really appreciate any ideas or experience you can share with me for this sort of thing. So far I haven't found any proceedure, doctor or surgeon that I'm comfotable with. I'm just looking at all options right now. My insurance doesn't cover this sort of surgery, but I have the cash to do what ever I want to so I'm looking for the best doctor, care, treatment etc. at a reasonable price. Thanks for listening... Kerry
karenwhiting
on 7/11/08 2:35 pm

Hi Kerry.  I too had gastric bypass/stomach stapling in 1980.....and have put everything back on.  However, I chose to have the Stomaphyx procedure on June 30th.  I have lost 23 pounds in 11 days.  I know there are many who have not had success with this procedure, but it is working well for me thus far.  I have followed the menu plan to the letter.  I was uncomfortable the first two days, but am feeling great at this point.  Cost of my procedure: 7350.00.  Good luck.  I feel your pain!

Kerry J.
on 7/12/08 7:30 am - Santa Clara, UT

Hi Karen. Thanks for the reply and info on your recent Stomaphx proceedure. I will watch for updates on how it works for you with great interest.  I sure hope it helps you achieve your goals!

Best wishes,

Kerry

KRWaters
on 7/11/08 3:14 pm - Manteca, CA
Check out the DS (duodenal switch) forum here on OH. There are a few of us who had the old stapling back in the 80's. They all swear that is the way to go. A very happy bunch of people who had the DS and love to tell about it. You owe it to yourself to at least check it out and also duodenalswitch.com. Doctors who do not perform the DS and most do not, will bad mouth the DS so do NOT listen to docs who don't perform it.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Kerry J.
on 7/12/08 7:34 am - Santa Clara, UT

Hi Karen W.

How did I luck out? Nice replys from two Karens!

Thanks for the tip about the DS proceedure, I've been reading up on it and it does look intriuging. I wonder if it can be done where most of my stomach has been inactive for so long. I'll be asking some qualified doctors about that.

Regards,

Kerry

KRWaters
on 7/12/08 12:08 pm - Manteca, CA
Well if you come over to the DS board and read some posts and ask about stomach stapling, you should get some replies. Please go to a qualified surgeon who does all 3 lapband, rny and DS to get an honest answer in regard to the DS. There is hardly any problem ujsually with carbs causing smelly flatulence or poops, and there are many products out there now to help with smell you know what. Everybody's smells ya know. We are an honest bunch and no question is too delicate.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/08 4:39 am - Brampton, Canada

Hi Kerry,

Research all your options before choosing a revision for you.  I had VBG back in /87 and revised to self pay lap band in April /06.  I was 251 lbs. on day of surgery and now down to 121.6 lbs. and reached goal in 20 months.  For the band has been awesome but no one wls fits all.

Best wishes,

Kerry J.
on 7/14/08 5:58 am - Santa Clara, UT

Hi Donna,

I'm happy to hear that your band is working for you. It may also work for me, I think my pouch streatched out and it also drains too fast. A band may take care of those problems, but I need to find out more before I decide what I want to do. Can you be more specific about what happened with your VBG and why it didn't work?

Thanks,

Kerry

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/08 7:19 am - Brampton, Canada

Well the way the VBG was performed when I had it caused the majority of us to have the staples separate within a couple of years or more.  At the time we were told it was our fault for stretching out the staples by overeating but now it is recognized it was the way the staples were put in caused the staple line disruption thus leading us to overeat.

The Lap Band worked great for me but I would never presume to know what is best for another person, take your time deciding on which revision will fit you best.

Kerry J.
on 7/14/08 7:50 am - Santa Clara, UT

That's interesting Donna, I never had any follow up care or even a check up after the surgery. The surgeon that worked on me left town shortly after and I never saw or heard from him again, but that could very well be what's happened with me. How did you find out about the disruption?

Thanks,

Kerry

Most Active