Scheduled for Lap-Band over RNY Revision! Now I have Q's!

Binxalways
on 7/10/08 7:34 am - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hi everyone!  I am so excited, my insurance company approved me for a revision - I am scheduled to have a Lap-Band put over my RNY on July 30th.  Now I have some questions that I am hoping all of you can help answer!  :-)  I was wondering what weightloss has been like for those of you who have had revisions, especially the lap-band over RNY.  I have read that loss is slower after a revision - Is there anything that you can recommend to speed things up & bring more success?  Also, how much have those of you who have had revisions lost and over what period of time?  My last question is for those of you who have had a band over the RNY - Do you feel restriction and experience weight loss right away, or do you not feel & see any changes until after your first fill?  Thanks a bunch!! Sincerely, Elizabeth
KRWaters
on 7/10/08 11:57 pm - Manteca, CA
My local bariatric surgeon also suggested to me a lapband over my malfunctioning RnY. I decided to do a computer search about lapband, but instead found myself on the DS forum. OMG, I never looked back. The DS is for me. I do not want another surgery that may fail as it fails a good percentage of people. My doc is now looking to learn the DS himself. Why go with something that may erode in your stomach, that may give you regurge problems, you have to deal with fills and does your insurance pay for those, etc? It is not too late, pick the DS. Come see how many of us have had revisions from lapband or the RnY to a DS.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

ShawnaC
on 7/12/08 3:24 am - Houston, TX
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/08 9:51 am - AZ

Have you actually had DS yet?  When?

I personally wouldn't get DS, too many problems with (ahem) carb issues.

KRWaters
on 7/12/08 12:11 pm - Manteca, CA
Then my dear you haven't actually researched the DS enough. There are so many products on the market, Devrom, acidolphillus pills, sprays for the toilet, several of them. all these things keep the smell at bay and most people go do #2 a couple of times in the morning and maybe one later in the day. It can be dealt with rather easily, and yeah, many have to limit their carbs or keep dairy at bay or take lactaid. All these things can be worked out.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/08 12:20 pm - AZ
On July 12, 2008 at 7:11 PM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
Then my dear you haven't actually researched the DS enough. There are so many products on the market, Devrom, acidolphillus pills, sprays for the toilet, several of them. all these things keep the smell at bay and most people go do #2 a couple of times in the morning and maybe one later in the day. It can be dealt with rather easily, and yeah, many have to limit their carbs or keep dairy at bay or take lactaid. All these things can be worked out.

But I don't want the problem to begin with!  Who wants to buy all that stuff?  The antibiotics DSers have to take at times... oh HELL no!  I'm not taking antibiotics periodically for the rest of my life because the bathroom smell is bad enough to make the wallpaper peel off the walls.  People have lost their jobs over the stench they have.  It is so bad it has affected marriages, people have built extra bathrooms on their home so the DSes won't share the family bathroom.

No way!  No DS for me!

The products sold to kill the DS stench that i have read about are amusing to say the least.

Poo-Pourri

Charcoal underwear

Charcoal suppositories

Cipro (prescription antibiotic)

Flagyl (prescription antibiotic)

Devrom

Acidolphillus pills

Drop as you go (drops fer the terlit)

Sprays

Who the hell wants to deal with that?

Noooo, no DS for me.  I'd rather be fat if it came down to it.

Opp2mystic1
on 7/12/08 11:37 pm - Hokes Bluff, AL

You my dear are seriously deluded.  You of all people should know that generalazations suck, for one people have questioned your revision, two people have spouted that out of country surgery is bad.  I know for a fact that it is not true as I had my surgery in Brazil and had the best medical care of my entire life. 

As far as your delusions with the DS, yes some have resorted to a number of the remedy's seen above.  I have taken flagyl, but have done it for the sole reason of prevention.  I would much rather pop a small pill with my vitamins than have someone poke me in the stomach with a needle so I could continue my miserable ass diet for the rest of my life.  Apparently you saw the craziness in that as you were revised.  For me, I chose to have one surgery only.  So get over yourself and stop spouting about what you have no clue about. 

Kym

mypictr_YouTube.jpg before/after avatar picture by Opp2mystic1          At goal for 4 years!

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/08 12:40 am - AZ

>>for one people have questioned your revision<<

No, one person questioned my revision and it turned out to be some psychotic cyberstalker that called my MD office and claimed to have talked to my surgeon when in fact, he claims that was untrue he was in OR all day.  Two people that were in the hospital with me chimed in and explained they were there with me, photos in hand.  She was similar to you, incoherant postings, first time poster on the boards, a DSer, and outted as a troll.

>>Apparently you saw the craziness in that as you were revised<<

Well now, did I have a revision or not?  Do make up your mind.

>>I would much rather pop a small pill with my vitamins than have someone poke me in the stomach with a needle so I could continue my miserable ass diet for the rest of my life.<<

That small pill is an antibiotic and we already have an extremely serious issue in this country with the overuse of antibiotics.  We have used and abused antibiotics for so long that we now are back to where we were to some degree as in the 1800s.  We have infections that we can't cure anymore and people are dying of infection once again. DSers add to that problem in a huge way with the Cipro, Flagyl and whatever other drugs you have to use.  What are you going to do when those antibiotics don't work anymore due to overuse?

No, the band was not the right option for me, I revised to a sleeve.  Your point?  Why do you people get your knickers in a twist just because the rest of us don't want to smell like a sewer?  I've read the threads on your forum and others.  People fart and the stench sticks to their clothes, they bother the people around them, they have lost jobs, ruined marriages, embarrassed themselves in public, afraid to use a public restroom, the list is endless.  When the rest of us don't want that problem you come out attacking.  I admit, I'm shocked that you can't see why there are people who prefer not to have those problems.  Nobody is telling you that you can't have your DS, we are telling you that we don't want those issues.  There are up and down sides to each surgery type and it's all a matter of what one will tolerate.  We have a right not to choose DS and you can't do a thing about it.

I do have a clue about DS, I read your boards and read the problems expressed there.  Nope, not me... no sewer smell here.

Anna G.
on 7/13/08 2:07 am

The reason DS'ers get their "knickers in a twist" is that you seem to have some kind of anti-DS agenda that they find highly insulting. Why else would you trot out a list of worst case scenarios and anecdotes from the non-compliant? There is precious little information available out there for pre-ops and DS'ers work very hard to get the word out that this amazing surgery even exists. So yep, it ****** them right off when someone like you comes along painting the DS in the worst light possible.

For the pre-ops who might be reading this: I'm a pre-op too. And I've been concerned about this issue because it is something some DS'ers have to deal with. However, there are multiple ways to deal with it. First, you identify the food triggers, and avoid them. For most people this is simple carbs. If that doesn't take care of it, you can take Probiotics (intestinal flora, available at WalMart and actually you should take those anyway whether you've had surgery or not). **** stinks (whose doesn't?) so you can use air fresheners. Devrom is another solution. An occasional course of Flagyl might be necessary, but not everyone uses it. The people you hear about who have had major life trauma because of the smell fall into one of two categories. Either they are non-compliant (refuse to give up white bread, milk or whatever their trigger food may be), or they are ignorant (some bariatric programs simply fail their patients by not giving them the information they need to manage their diet properly). 

If it seems like a lot of trouble, just balance it against the advantages of the DS surgery. Long-term results are better than any other surgery, and for anyone like me who has lost huge amounts of weight many times, only to gain it back with interest, that is enough persuasion right there. But as a bonus, there is no dumping, no slippages or erosions, no blind stomach, you can take NSAID drugs if you need them, and you can eat like a normal person with one exception: fat is a health food. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/08 2:14 am - AZ
On July 13, 2008 at 9:07 AM Pacific Time, Anna G. wrote:

The reason DS'ers get their "knickers in a twist" is that you seem to have some kind of anti-DS agenda that they find highly insulting. Why else would you trot out a list of worst case scenarios and anecdotes from the non-compliant? There is precious little information available out there for pre-ops and DS'ers work very hard to get the word out that this amazing surgery even exists. So yep, it ****** them right off when someone like you comes along painting the DS in the worst light possible.

For the pre-ops who might be reading this: I'm a pre-op too. And I've been concerned about this issue because it is something some DS'ers have to deal with. However, there are multiple ways to deal with it. First, you identify the food triggers, and avoid them. For most people this is simple carbs. If that doesn't take care of it, you can take Probiotics (intestinal flora, available at WalMart and actually you should take those anyway whether you've had surgery or not). **** stinks (whose doesn't?) so you can use air fresheners. Devrom is another solution. An occasional course of Flagyl might be necessary, but not everyone uses it. The people you hear about who have had major life trauma because of the smell fall into one of two categories. Either they are non-compliant (refuse to give up white bread, milk or whatever their trigger food may be), or they are ignorant (some bariatric programs simply fail their patients by not giving them the information they need to manage their diet properly). 

If it seems like a lot of trouble, just balance it against the advantages of the DS surgery. Long-term results are better than any other surgery, and for anyone like me who has lost huge amounts of weight many times, only to gain it back with interest, that is enough persuasion right there. But as a bonus, there is no dumping, no slippages or erosions, no blind stomach, you can take NSAID drugs if you need them, and you can eat like a normal person with one exception: fat is a health food. 

It is the DSers that are out there pushing their surgery as though one cannot possibly lose weight without it.  This just isn't true.

Amazingly, there are some people that are not willing to risk the sewer smell, weight loss just isn't worth it to some if they have to take a chance on that.

As I carefully explained already, there are pros and cons to each surgery type and some are not willing to risk the sewer smell.  They have every reason in the world to choose their own surgery type and if they don't want the risk of stench, they can choose another surgery type.

If I was a failed RNY and looking at revision, personally I'd get another band before I'd get DS but that's me, it's my body, my choice and you can't do a thing about it.

Most Active