New here, and will be trying for a revision

dinty4
on 7/10/08 12:35 am
Hello, I had a RNY back in June of 2001.   My wife is a year post op from her RNY and I have been finding every pound she has lost.   So i have come to the realization I need to have my surgery "revised".   so I called my surgeons office, and they provide the stomaphyx.   I called my insurance company, and they saiud it is a billable CPT code.   SOOO, I have an appt on the 28th of July for a consult.   What questions do I need to be asking?    What can I expect?   Thanks in advance...
Monique H.
on 7/10/08 1:27 am
Before you decide on that I would read the posts on here about people who have had that procedure. I don't want to be negative, but from what I've read the results for people haven't been that great. Good luck in whatever you decide to do and welcome.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 1:32 am - AZ
Isn't this procedure investigational still?  I'd get it in writing that the insurance company would pay for it, I'll bet they won't authorize it. With that said, I have not seen anyone happy with these types of procedures.  There is one person that loves hers, but she works for a doc she is promoting as well from what I understand. I'd do some long and hard research on this before jumping in.
dinty4
on 7/10/08 1:39 am

What else is there to try then.   Im all ears for other options.   I just know that is what my doctor offers..

Monique H.
on 7/10/08 4:32 am
It depends on different things. Have you discussed with your doctor why you are gaining. Is it a stretched pouch and stoma or maybe you need more malabsorbtion. There are the rose, schlerothopy (sp), a band over rny pouch, you can be made a distal if you were proximal rny. There is also Extended rny and Duodenal switch (ds), which have a higher malabsorbtion factor to them. There are a lot of different paths you can go in. The first step though is to figure out why you are gaining and go from there, at least in my opinion.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
KRWaters
on 7/11/08 12:01 am - Manteca, CA
I was in the same boat as you and in searching about lapband over RnY, I found the DS forum. That is the way to go for me. More restrictive procedure, better chance of keeping it off, better overall eating, less chance of regain. Just have to be vigilante in taking vitamins and getting blood work. Hope you find what is best for you.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

S Andrews
on 7/10/08 2:06 am - eatonville, WA
I looked into the proceedure myself and altho the Dr was very positiive I haven't heard very many favorable results. I have heard a lot of good things about the ROSE proceedure tho.  Its similar but has much better results. When asking questions I would ask about the two and compare them before making the decision. This is a great site to get that info from first hand. Good luck
karenwhiting
on 7/10/08 5:38 am
Hi Dinty.  I had the Stomaphyx 10 days ago and have dropped 22 pounds!  I am thrilled!  The first two days were tough....but I feel great now.  I know there are a ot of negative remarks about Stomaphyx, but so far so good for me!
dinty4
on 7/10/08 11:48 am
On July 10, 2008 at 12:38 PM Pacific Time, karenwhiting wrote:
Hi Dinty.  I had the Stomaphyx 10 days ago and have dropped 22 pounds!  I am thrilled!  The first two days were tough....but I feel great now.  I know there are a ot of negative remarks about Stomaphyx, but so far so good for me!
thanks Karen...Im really curious asa too WHY there are so many neg reviews of the stomaphyx....is it because people just dont give it the same attention they originally did with their WLS... If I had known that what I was doing a year ago would have caused this, I wouldnt have done it...
grandsonx2
on 7/10/08 7:17 am - TN
Hi Dinty, just wanted to let you know that I had the lapband placed over my gastric bypass on june 24, so far so good, I have lost 12 lbs, I won't say any of it is easy, but I am one that needs restriction, and I feel once I get the fills it should do me pretty good, that is also someone I have been keeping in contact with that had the same thing done a couple of months ago, and he is doing great, he has lost about 20lbs,  just like everyone says, check out all  your options, because you are going to get good and bad feedback on all of them, and what may be good for one may not be what is good for you, so you have to feel good about whichever procedure you decide!      Good Luck and just don't give up!!!     Nancy
Most Active