Revision pd by Medicare ??????

brit25
on 7/9/08 5:58 am
I had the lap-bad about 2 1/2 yrs ago...lost about 90 lbs...i had this done because i have severe degenerative disc disease with a complete collapse of the L5-S1 disc in my back-i also have severe arthritis...do to my weight my Spinal dr would not touch me....When i reached the 90 lb weight loss i just stopped losing....i ramped up my exercise, did everything i could physically do to get it to continue but no luck....unfortunately i made all my conditions worse in the process...i have since be approved for Social Security Disability as i can no longer work.....my arthritis has worsened and my back is completely trashed...my body will no longer allow me to lose any more weight.  Band is fine filled and in place....i am just not able to get around anymore and i can no longer take weight off.  Here is my problem.......I would like to have a Bypass because I feel this is my only shot at getting myself out of this catch 22 situation i'm in.....I now have Medicare...i have insurance with me husband but they do not cover WLS..pd cash of Band...and i know that Medicare does pay for WLS....however i am being told that Medicare will NOT cover since it is a revision. Has anyone ever had Medicare pay for a revision???  If so how would i get that preapproved with them so the drs will actually see me.....they will not bother because they say Medicare won't pay......any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
janis C.
on 7/12/08 12:32 pm - charlestown, in

brit25,  Hi I also have medicare and I just had a revision from the lap-band to the by-pass 3 weeks ago.  My Dr.'s office took care of everything for me!  I did'nt have any problems at all!!!  I hope this will help you out in getting your surgery.  If you have any questions let me know I will be glad to try and help you out!!  good luck,   Janis

Vicki PNW
on 7/12/08 4:40 pm

As for revisions, Medicare covers open and laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP), laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) and open and laparoscopic biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS) if certain criteria are met and the procedure is performed in an approved facility.  For a listing of them, click on this link:
http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicareApprovedFacilitie/BSF/list.as p#TopOfPage

Source: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/mcd/viewncd.asp?ncd_id=100.1&ncd_vers ion=2&basket=ncd%3A100%2E1%3A2%3ABariatric+Surgery+for+Treat ment+of+Morbid+Obesity

Your doctors are misinformed BIG TIME!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Jenkatmom L.
on 7/13/08 1:27 am

Yep, my hubby had revision from gastroplasty to DS in November by Dr. Keshishian in Delano, CA.  He is on Social Security Disability also.  No problems getting it covered.  He has lost all his weight in 8 months.

:) Lori D

Happy to be alive and loving life!
                    I LOVE my DS!
brit25
on 7/13/08 2:48 am

OMG guys....thank you so much for all the info.  I am overwhelmed and relieved to know that I can possibly get some help!!!  Vicki your links were soooooo informative thank you for such a good resource.  I am gonna try and find a Dr here in Dallas that will read this and hopefully reconsider.  They had told me that there was nowhere for them to ge a preapproval for this.....i wonder if there actually is someone to talk to or to send my records to???????  I'm gonna do some serious looking and i hope that ya'll won't mind me picking your brain alittle more in the future.  THANX A MILLION.........Suzie

Most Active