help me understand?

shawn31
on 7/10/08 6:11 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15
I know how you feel. I had my RNY done in 2005 as well and I lost  95 pounds and that was it. I stopped losing weight and I walk and drink my water.  I am going to my doctor tomorrow to talk about having a revision. So good luck in whatever avenue you choose to follow. And iy is very hard to stick to the rules of eating after this surgery. It takes alot of support.
Monique H.
on 7/10/08 1:10 am
I understand where you are coming from. I too find it hard to be as strict. I stopped losing weight 6 months after surgery. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the weight to come off. It was very discouraging and depressing. I'm not going crazy with my eating, but it is harder to stay as disciplined as I was before. You might want to look at the extended rny. It is a more malabsorbtive procedure. That or the ds, but the surgeon that I spoke to say the you can get the same result with extended rny that you can with the ds and he does do both surgeries. Definitely find a surgeon that does more than just the rny or lapband and discuss your options.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
skinny_cyndi
on 7/10/08 5:27 am - Mahwah, NJ
I had a completely lap revision on 2/28/08. My first RNY was open and was done 3/99. I had chronic upper back pin for years that I was sent to PT for. It turned out to be an ulcer and a disrupted staple line as well as a fistula. Well I had regained up to 196 and my lowest was 135, I started out at 350. i will not say I followed the rules 100% but I did to the best of my ability, and even if I had not had this revision, would still live with it. My insurance will not cover extended rny or the ds, so I had to go with what I could get. However, I will say that even if i had the option I would have stayed with the surgeon that did my revision. He is very experienced with them, you can see his name right under my avatat if you are interested. He is out of Ridgewood and Pompton Lakes. But do your reasearch first, choices are personal. Make a well informed decision so that you won't have to go through this again. I am now down to 149 and couldn't be happier.
scrapper5
on 7/10/08 1:37 pm - Burnsville, MN
I am a pre-op but I think if you still qualify for surgery and you are looking for a revision there is a procedure for you.  The procedure you should be looking into is the DS.  IF you can follow a strict vitamin regime you can enjoy a less strict way of eating.  Protein first.....low carb.....but DSers malabsorb 80% of the fat we eat 50% of the protein and I believe 30-40% of the complex carbs we eat.  Check out the DS forum here on OH and also duodenalswitch.com Jennifer  

DJ
on 7/10/08 11:28 pm - Parsippany, NJ
thanks Jennifer,  I think you are right.. I think the DS is what I need.  I don't think I am going to do anything at this time.. I am going to try to live by the rules for the time being and try kicking up the excerise/activity and see where that gets me..  not really into having another surgery the more I think about it..  maybe someday but not now Thanks. Donna Good luck on your pending surgery
Most Active