help me understand?

DJ
on 7/9/08 3:02 am - Parsippany, NJ
Hi,  I had an RNY in 2005. I had lost about 150 lbs.. but started to gain and have gained back about 50 lbs to date.. I am really scared it will all be back soon.. My dr said some people are genetically programmed to be heavy (ugh)... well I am not good at following the RNY rules anylonger this far out.. and as much as i try I fail..  what would a revision do for me.. I hate where I am but don't know how to move the weight off. Thanks, D
ginau
on 7/9/08 3:54 am - mesa, AZ

Depends on the type of revision  you choose,  you  can do a Stomaphyx or Rose  procedure that would give you a smaller pouch and  more restriction, Or you can do a more mal-absorptive  procedure.    The later will inhibit you from absorbing calories and reduce your weight , you also  will run high risk of vitamin and  mineral  deficiencies .

There is lots of research on this forum  you can read  about - but your Dr  will be the best one  to help you determin the best course of action.

DJ
on 7/9/08 5:08 am - Parsippany, NJ
thanks,,  but your last statement sums up my confusion.. Doctors are not helping me understand, they all say something different.. As far a the vit and mineral thing goes we already have that issue with the RNY. I have read the site but don't see how you know exactly when and why or which... they probably all work.. you just have to be vigilant..  I guess I will probably never understand.
Heidineub
on 7/9/08 7:05 am
Hi, I just had RNY open revision on June 4, 2008. You might want to go for a consult with my doctor, Doctor Robert Brolin at NJ Bariatrics in Plainsboro, NJ. I had my first RNY in 1999 got down to 150 pounds in about 16 months, then started gaining and didn't stop until I was about 250 pounds. Until I found this website I thought I was the only person who experienced weight gain after RNY. With the help of the right surgeon, nutritionist and perhaps endocrinologist maybe you can find out what is causing the weight gain. I learned that I had little if any restriction and not enough malabsorption. In addition, I stopped living by the golden rules (don't eat and drink at the same time, avoid bad carbs and protein first. So in my case there was a combination of factors that worked against me--including myself. The good news is that I have a second chance now to do things differently. I wish you luck.
KRWaters
on 7/11/08 3:20 pm - Manteca, CA
Come to the DS forum here on OH. We have a Dr. Greenbaum in NJ who does the DS and the other procedures. He won't steer you wrong. You will only get true facts from a surgeon who does all the procedures, lapband, RnY, sleeve, and DS!!

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

K B (Tucson)
on 7/9/08 3:00 pm - Tucson, AZ
First, I am not scolding, but, as you stated in your post you ar not following your diet plan right now.  Even if you have revision surgery, if you don't follow strict eating guidelines you WILL regain the weight.  So, before you submit to the knife again - go back to basics.  Eat like you were told to when you first got the bypass and keep a food log of what you eat and how much you move.  I can almost guarantee you that you will stabilize your weight and once again begin to lose a few pounds.  No, it isn't easy, but we knew this before wls.  You CAN do this, as you have done it before.  Good luck.
DJ
on 7/10/08 12:46 am - Parsippany, NJ
Just to set the record straight.. its' not really that I'm not following the rules, I am just not as strict asI was in the beggining.. no one can live strictly to the rules. although I understand your point. There is no way at this point I could be that extreme again... it just won't happen.  Good luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 12:10 am - AZ
I agree with KB.  Surgery is just a tool for us to use to lose weight while changing eating habits. You can get many procedures done and eat around each one. Being genetically programmed to be heavy vs. not following RNY rules.  One has nothing to do with the other.
DJ
on 7/10/08 12:46 am - Parsippany, NJ
and to you too.. with your band.. you have no idea what an RNY is like living with..  Good luck..
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 1:08 am - AZ
On July 10, 2008 at 7:46 AM Pacific Time, DJ wrote:
and to you too.. with your band.. you have no idea what an RNY is like living with..  Good luck..
True.  But I know what it is like to lose weight and you have to overhaul your eating habits.  There just isn't any other way.
Most Active