VBG to RNY

KCameron
on 7/8/08 4:45 pm - Radcliff, KY
I would like to hear anyone's experience with revision from VBG to RNY. I am facing the decision to do this due to multiple problems with my VBG. Reflux and recurrent vomiting are my biggest problems, so I am under the impression that these will be remedied by the surgery. Thanks! Kim C.
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/08 11:09 pm - TX
Do you know all your options?  Come read at the DS board. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/
KCameron
on 7/8/08 11:15 pm - Radcliff, KY

I would love to have the sleeve or DS, but my insurance doesn't cover them, and I can't afford the self pay. I also would have to find a surgeon who would do the revision, as my surgeon doesn't do them. Thank you for the information, though. Kim C.

Deb *.
on 7/9/08 12:39 pm, edited 7/9/08 12:40 pm
I had a revision from VBG to RNY in Mar 2007.  I had the VBG done in 1992 and lost about 100-125lbs and kept it off for about 4 years.  Throughout that time and in the years to follow throwing up and GERD were the norm for me.  My staple line also ruptured (though I didn't know that until just before my RNY). I was over 500lbs by the time I started looking into a revision, so I had to not only find a doctor that would take me as a revision patient, but also as an extremely SMO patient.  Not an easy request to fill.  I did find a wonderful doc here in Dallas who's practice is over 50% revisions, so he has a great deal of experience.   My RNY took approximately 4 1/2 hrs, and I was in the hospital for 4 days.  I felt like I had been punched in the stomach hard for a week or so, but other than that I felt pretty good.  I even went to the mall and walked around for about 30 min the day after I got home.  My surgery was lap, so I was only out of work for 2 weeks. My recovery and post-op experience has been remarkably uneventful.  I had one bout of gastritis about 8 weeks after surgery (which is around the time that the internal stitches disolve and can irritate the pouch).  I stopped my Nexium the day before surgery and haven't needed it since.  The few times I've thrown up were early on as I was learning to eat slowly, take small bites and not gulp water.   I'm 15 months out now and have lost 218lbs.  I'm beyond happy with how things have gone with my surgery and only wish I had had the courage to look into this earlier.  15 years of throwing up and dealing with the VBG was way too long. Please do all the research possible, not only on the surgery type, but also on the surgeon and his team.  Revisions of any kind are more complicated than virgin surgeries and you need someone with a great deal of experience. Good luck on your journey!! Debbi

KCameron
on 7/9/08 1:06 pm - Radcliff, KY
Debbie, Thank you so much for your story. It is very similar to my own, other than I have not had the staple line rupture, but have developed polyps in my stomach and he said that is due to the nexium. This is not in the pouch, but he says it should not be a problem in the blind stomach either. He is my original surgeon from 12 years ago, and has 26 years experience, so I do feel he is competent. I feel he is kind of conservative and doesn't jump into newer concepts (i.e. ds revision surgery) But my insurance does not cover that anyway. I had remorse that I had not pursued gastric bypass first since I did not lose the large amount of weight that a friend of mine did who had his gb a month after me. He has kept everything off except 30 pounds over 12 years and he looks great.  I will keep you posted. Thanks again! Kim
Most Active