Anyone just have their band removed

JSIL
on 7/8/08 12:12 pm
Hi, just wondering if anyone just had their band removed without a revision?  What was the recovery time like?  I plan on a revision, but in a few months.  Thanks!

kingfish
on 7/8/08 2:33 pm - Auckland New Zealand, New Zealand
Hi JSIL I had my band removed in October last year and while I would have loved a revision immediately, in my cir****tances it was never going to be possible until my stomach had healed.  I was told I had  to wait six months to allow scar tissue to soften.    I had also lived with an abscess over my port for several months so my body was very toxic and it took a long time to recover after my band removal surgery which took over 3 hours.   Maybe the slow recovery also had something to do with my age!   During the time I was banded I did have some control and worrying about my weight faded into the background.   I recall my surgeon saying to me that many people do very well without their bands, but I just knew that I wasn't going to be one of them.    I did try hard to manage my weight and for the first two months I was ok, but then old behaviours started to emerge again and within weeks the scale started to track upwards again. Fortunately my revision to a VSG was recently booked for August 5th, and I can't wait. Good luck Marion
JSIL
on 7/9/08 12:02 pm
Thanks for the reply, my doctor said I need to wait 3 months.  I am not sure what kind of revision I am looking into yet, it is so hard to decide.  What made you decide to go with the VSG? 

kingfish
on 7/9/08 2:33 pm - Auckland New Zealand, New Zealand
I knew of a couple of people who had the RNY - one lost well but two years out began regaining weight again, the other had lost 200lbs to goal and could not stop losing, she has serious health issues which appear to be linked to her RNY.   Because I was uncertain about the long term results and the more severe nature of that surgery I decided to research the VSG.   I linked up with a VSG support group here in New Zealand last year, and every one of the people (about 15) that I have met many times at monthly meetings has had fantastic results.   It has been a bit like watching gorgeous butterflies emerging from their cocoons.    Some struggled in the early days, but now six+ months out they can eat  most foods but just small portions.   They all look healthy and they are all so happy with their results and their new lives, that I  no longer needed any convincing that the VSG would be the right option for me too. Do your research and ask loads of questions, and look for both positives and negatives, then when you narrow down your options see how it will fit with you.   The five year data for the VSG looks positive. All the best, Marion
charleston-mom
on 7/9/08 10:57 pm
I had revision to RNY at the same time as having my band removed and am absolutely thrilled with my RNY. No comparison to me between the two surgeries. Why do you want to do it in two surgeries? Seems like that may be more difficult to get covered by insurance.
JSIL
on 7/10/08 11:10 am
Well my doctor said I would have to wait 3 months, but now I am not sure what kind of surgery I am going to have so I am going to wait until I decided to have my band out or revision done.  I don't know if he has done a revision at the same time as a removal, I am guessing. 

Most Active