Lap Band over RNY

spacewife
on 7/8/08 8:05 am
Anyone had a Lap Band for a revision after having RNY? How long was recovery?
Zena Romy
on 7/9/08 9:52 am - Canada
Hi Spacewife, I cannot answer your question from personal experience, but I will let you know!  I am getting a lap band put over my RNY  on Aug 6th.  According to my surgeon, who has done a lot of lap bands over RNYs, the recovery is very quick and the adjustment in eating is very easy, as we have done it all before.  The band just makes what we already have a bit tighter. Interestingly, the surgeon (Dr. Yau, Toronto Lap Band Clinic) said that the success rate for lap bands over RNYs is very high. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I'll keep you posted as to how it goes for me! Zena
spacewife
on 7/9/08 10:02 am
Thanks Zena i was beging to think i was all alone.  Did they make you take a class and do the psych evalagain? i just found out i have to start all over again to please the insurance co. Good Luck!
Zena Romy
on 7/13/08 2:31 am - Canada

Hi again, Spacewife!

Yes, I did have to do the pschy eval again.  Hey...you gotta be somewhat psycho to get into this mess in the first place!

He asked me why my original surgery had failed and why I had a problem with food. Etc.  Basically, he just seemed to want to know that I knew what I was doing and was aware that this surgery was an OPTION that I had chosen to take.  Then we talked about the weather!.......

I think the psych eval will be easy.  Don't worry!  They have to give you one to cover their backsides in case of a lawsuit.

Good luck and keep me posted!  Also, did you read the following blog from the woman who had a lap band over her RNY?  If not, please do - it will answer a lot of your questions and concerns.http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/mish

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/mish/

Take care,

Zena

grandsonx2
on 7/10/08 7:30 am - TN
Hi spacewife, I had a lap band placed over my RNY on june 24, the recovery time was not long at all, I was only in the hospital overnight, and  was just sore, my surgeon had not ever placed a band over a RNY, but since he had done my Rny originally, he finally agreed to do it for me. and I am doing fine!  I was sore for about 2 wks, not to where I couldn't do anything! and I think that was because It was a revision and not just a straight lapband procedure.  I do have a little restriction, but I know that the fills is where I will start having more and I also know that it may take a few to feel it! I am just determined to make it work this time and I know that I can not give up!!  there is also another guy that I talk to that had it done a couple of months ago, and he is doing great!  he has lost about  20lbs ,    we  can make this work for us!!!   WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Nancy
barbarabrewer
on 7/11/08 5:07 am - TX
I had lap band over RNY on 6/19/08.  My surgery was at an out patient center...I was self pay. Anyway, I went into surgery at 8:30a and I was on my way home at 1:00p and in my bed by 2:00p.(My surgeon checks for leaks while you are in the OR. I went to back to work this week.  7/8//08..  My Dr wouldn't release me until he saw me for my 2 week check up.  He placed the Lap Band AP 14cc in me.  I go for my first fill 7/31/08.  The first 2 weeks I lost 7.50 pounds...Dr Nick was pleased. The first week I took it easy and ate a lot of surgar free popsicles...Felt refreshing on the way down. That's my story so far.... Barbara Brewer RNY 5/2/03  lost 134 -  regained 80 pounds in 2 years time...due to personal issues and not staying on program. Lap Band 6/19/08  
Lucile K.
on 7/11/08 6:48 am - Orlando, FL
Your story was interesting to me. I had RNY 1/94.  I lost 168 lbs.  I have gained 68 pounds.  I have been battling the bulge and have tried low carb diets, protein diets, weigh****chers and working out at the "Y" 4 to 5 days a week  for an hour a day.   My weight continues to flucuate and I may lose 5 or 10 lbs and then regain them.  I have just about lost all hope.  I feel sad that somehow it seems I cannot lose any more weight.  I am thinking about having a revision but I am not sure If this is the right choice for me. I am in the process of trying to see which way would be best for me. I did attend a  seminar about the lap bad and heard that this could be done.  Your letter assures me that hope may be on the way.  Thanks!
KRWaters
on 7/11/08 3:35 pm - Manteca, CA
I also had Rny back in 4/05. I started gaining after a year and a half and have gained 40 pounds. I only lost 90 to begin with, 40 pounds from goal. My local surgeon did recommend the lapband over the rnY and I started to check it out online, but realized I did not want to go down, I wanted to go up, up, up, when I found the DS. Oh gosh! I want to be happy like they all are. Found out a little secret. They do NOT have smelly poops or fart anymore than "normal" people, but there are many products to buy to curtail any smell, or too many bowel movements. Come check out the dS board. Nothing is off limits to ask us there. We are honest and open and want to share our joy with everyone.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active