Frozen_Peach
on 7/6/08 4:10 am
Berts friend?? new one on me

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

Judi J.
on 7/6/08 10:35 pm - MN
i think it is an extended rny, distal like vitalady
mew6495
on 7/7/08 12:59 am - MI
I am pursuing one with Dr. S. It is where they make your intestinal bypass (common channel) shorter. Generally somewhere between 50 and 100 CM. A distal Rny typically has a common channel of 100 to 150 depending on surgeon. This is what helps give the DS'ers their long term success.
Diamond Girl
on 7/8/08 4:05 am - Ham Lake, MN
So does a distal RNY also have a pouch (like the regular RNY) or more of a sleeve/banana (like a DS)? See, I'm approved for the RNY but am having to file my 2nd appeal for the DS to be covered and I'm wondering if I could just get the distal or Erny and still have my DS plumbing essentially. My pyloric valve, my fully functioning albeit small tummy, etc. Thanks.
Frozen_Peach
on 7/8/08 4:18 am
no, you would have a Pouch....and dumping ....etc...so on... It is an RnY with a shorter common channel.

MY DS  
 labrats.jpg picture by Frozen_Peach

Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at DS Facts
<~~link
DS Recipes can be shared HERE <~~link

ginau
on 7/8/08 5:35 am - mesa, AZ
Good luck on that outcome!! keep us posted  With any RNY - you can request to have  your common channel altered. You just need to talk it out with the surgeon.  in some cases the Dr may determine to do the procedure "OPEN"  in order to get a better measurement.  Majority of laproscopic RNY is  proximinal - shortest amount of intestine is bypassed.  Our Dr Schlesinger  does his revisions as "OPEN" to ensure how much common channel remains.   
mew6495
on 7/8/08 5:49 am - MI
It is a RNY with a shorter common channel. I am reading reports where because there were not a whole lot of long term information when I had mine in 2001 that they could not foresee the effects over time. Now many doctors are more open to the shorter common channel (more intestine bypassed) because of the long term effects it provides. You still have your pouch for the restriction aspect. The shorter common channel gives the long term malabsorption aspect, much like the dsers. Kind of like half of a DS.....
Monique H.
on 7/8/08 9:27 am
I just wanted to say that I talked to Dr. Schlesinger about the erny and I mentioned that I had originally wanted the ds. He said that basically I could get the same results and that people who have had the ds tend to promote it because it worked so well for them (not knocking any of them at all) but really you get the same results, but it is possible that you will dump and that you won't be able to handle some foods with the erny.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/08 5:21 am - AZ
Are you seeiing Dr Schlesinger ? Are you from Michigan and going to travel out for surgery? I am from Michiagan but have been in AZ for over 12 years.
Most Active