Doctor gave me all the pre-op prescriptions

darnell239
on 7/3/08 3:27 am - Columbia, SC
I'm scheduled for surgery on July 10.  I had my last pre-op appointment on Monday and my doctor gave me all these prescriptions.  I have to take Nexium 40mg the night prior to surgery and 1 the morning of surgery.  I have to take Avelox 400mg (antibiotic) the night prior to surgery, I have to take Reglan 10 mg the morning of surgery, and I have to place an anti-nausea patch (Transderm Scop is the name of the patch)  behind my ear the night prior to surgery, I had to buy a special antibacteria soap to shower with the night prior to surgery and the morning of surgery.  Does this seem common?  Did your doctors require all these medications prior to surgery?   The first time I had surgery (the mini-gastric bypass) I did not have to take any of these prescriptions prior to surgery with the exception of having to shower with the antibacteria soap.  Any thoughts about this?
ginau
on 7/3/08 4:45 am - mesa, AZ
Yes sounds pretty normal to me --  I was able to shower with Dial antibacterial soap night before and morning of surgery, I didnt do   tagament until day after,   I had  anti nasuea suppositories, liquid pain med and  I had to put  some bactriban  ointment inside my nostrils daily   for 3 days prior to surgery..  I figured it was a good precaution -- make sure  they cover the bases  for a easy recovery  and  no infections !!!  hospitals are dirty places .. dont walk around barefoot !! For the record  the tagament  helped - I did get some sour tummy after surgery - chalk it up to anest meds!  
Gwynn M.
on 7/3/08 5:33 am - Tucson, AZ
Jeanna, does the doc tell you/give you all the meds prior to surgery?  Probably a silly question, but I didn't have to do the anti nasuea things or the bactriban ointment (what was that for specifically?). I know hospitals are germy places......so I want to make sure I'm aware of the smartest things to do! No better way than to learn than from the experts that have gone before me!  I also just recently read an article about people with fibromyalgia having surgery....and the prep for that.   It says to print it out and give it to your doctor to make them more aware.    I wouldn't want to offend my doctor! But I do realize that we that have fibromyalgia....have a little bit different issues with pain. Thanks for any info you might have to share!
ginau
on 7/3/08 5:50 am - mesa, AZ

Ya might want to check with Dawn - since she has that issue with Fibro,  I know Dr S has her on pain patch's - I always  take list of meds and usually  a friend to Dr's office ... that way   we all know whats going !!  they sent me home  with scripts  to be filled  before surgery - you need em !!  I believe I was educated that Bactroban  helps eliminate any possible infection that can come  through airways .. they usualy have you rinse with mouth stuff  right before they  give ya versed !!   one girl  did not bring pain meds with  her to the  Hosp - she had a 3 hr drive home - told her to mention it so they could give her meds before she left ..   I was in misery on my way home - last med at 10:00 am - left hosptil at 1:00  45 min home - I was green and ready to hurt  my sweet brother who  came to get me --  he also hit every bump in the road !!!!  not good with a full incission !  -- But I still love him .

Cynthia Johnson
on 7/4/08 11:17 pm
Yeah, my drive home was two hrs it was made easy with taking pain med prior to leaving hospital.  Going home in the late evening was the best all so.  I woke up four different times and asked sis how she was doing I then fell back to sleep.  Totally uneventful drive home.
cayita63
on 7/7/08 1:20 pm - Ft Lauderdale, FL
Good Luck. You will be fine. claudia I am allergic to reglan, did u take it before?
Most Active