Roux en Y Revision Questions

jtaylor1981
on 7/1/08 6:58 am - noblesville, IN
Hi. My name is Jacqueline and I'm 26 years old. I had RNY in 2001...I was 300 lbs a the time, lost 125 lbs in one year, and gained 100 lbs back in 5 years. ON 2/12/08, I had a revision, which is "more like the DS in conjunction with the RNY" (my stomach had stretched back out and I was just back to old, bad habits). I have lost approx. 55 lbs so far, so I am about 220 lbs now. I am exercising regularly (at least 5 days/week; at least 30 min of cardio + weight training) and making much healthier food choices. I am so desperate to find people like me! I feel like such a failure sometimes, although I am definitely on the right track. I am actually grateful that the weight is coming off a little slower and I feel like I actually have to WORK at it this time. I would like to know how much others who have had my same experience have lost and how long it took. I am also anxious to get pregnant in about a year and wondering if anybody like me has had success in pregnancy. Thanks and I look forward to your wisdom! Jacqueline
darnell239
on 7/1/08 9:47 am - Columbia, SC
Jacqueline, I can understand what you went through I had the mini-gastric bypass 8 1/2 years ago and slowly regained all my weight and I felt awful about myself.  I felt like such a failure to go through a surgery just to put the weight back on.  I am having revision surgery next week.  I am converting to the true RNY and this time around I plan to learn from my mistakes of the past.  I know longer think of wls as the "magic cure."  This time around I have realized that I have to make some real changes in my eating habits.  I no longer drink soda (not even diet), I am using whole wheat bread vs white bread, and I am choosing yogurt over ice cream.  I still have a long way to go but I feel I am making a real start.  Good luck with your procedure!
PixieButterfly2005
on 7/1/08 8:12 pm - Eugene, OR
I had the RNY in May of 2004. Initially lost from 350 to 169 by December of 2004. Now I am back up to 238 ( actually down to 227 as of yesterday). Yes I feel like a failure, but I know I still have the pouch it still works, I just make poor choices, eat way too many carbs. I am trying to get back on track. I am trying one last ditch effort, before I really start contemplating revision. Ginger
smile750
on 7/2/08 4:48 am - Bridgewater, NJ
Hi Jacqueline, I have felt like a failure too - I had RNY in Dec. 02 and lost 119 within 6 months due to strict diet and exercise (it also helped that I was getting married in Sept. 03 and wanted a small dress!!).  I was originally 300 and down to 181.  I got pregnant in June 04 (after trying for 7 months - delay was due to blocked fallopian tubes - not weight.  As soon as tubes were cleared by pumping saline through the uterus/tubes, I got pregnant two weeks later!).  At the time I got pregnant my weight had gone to 205, so a 24 lb gain already since the wedding (8 months).  I gained another 40 with the pregnancy, but miraculously lost it all and then the 24 again down to 181.  I blame this on successful breastfeeding for a year (though the weight came down within 6 months after my son's birth) and a fussy baby that I walked with each day to stop him from crying and take a nap 3 times a day!!  What it really comes down to is portion control, food choices, and exercise - which I can't stress enough.  I admit right now, I am in an exercise lull and haven't walked or hit the gym in months. Once I went back to work in November 06, the weight stopped coming off and I got pregnant with my second son in January 06 (in the first month I tried).  My good eating habits really had disappeared and though I still could not eat a lot at a time, nor consume much sugar (candy, ice cream, etc..), I got into the habit of grazing and not having a full feeling for much time.  I have regained 70 lbs (kept the 45 on from the 2nd pregnancy and gained another 25) and now going to have the rosE procedure done at Monmouth in NJ next Tuesday.  While, there has been lots of talk about what works and what doesn't, I don't believe it's the ANSWER or the magic cure.  It will give me a 2nd chance to get back on track and relearn what it takes to lose the weight and get back into my skinny clothes.  I applaud all those who do get revisions - band to sleeve, band to RNY, ERNY, etc...  This is just the path I have chosen to take. Jen
patsy13215
on 7/2/08 11:47 am - syracuse, NY
hi Jen;Good luck to you with your Rose.I feel the same as you.There is no magic cure but it gives us the opportunity to begin again with a whole new attitude..Good luck to you!!You will love Dr. Borao and Dr. Gorcey........Patsy
Most Active